Director, Strategic Sourcing and Procurement; EVP Supply Division
Diversified manufacturer and operator in industries including petroleum, chemicals, commodities manufacturing; and provider of related specialty services.
Reporting to Senior Management, chartered to partner with the business leaders to structure a center-led, best practice strategic sourcing and procurement organization capable of delivering cost reduction and related efficiencies to its key subsidiaries and affiliates.
• Led transformation of organization to a strategic procurement model by establishing a collaborative model and a foundation of formalized processes and tools to drive diligent sourcing and supplier management decisions, and create and transact easily and efficiently against the contracts. In addition, has established core group at the enterprise level to support the model. Direct reports include professional personnel providing services in sourcing category management, data analysis and management, fleet procurement and administration, project and outsourced procurement services, and low cost country sourcing.
• Accountable for procurement operations for affiliates and business units, approximately $1.3B spend annually.
• Provide coaching and support to commodity team leaders. Know commodities, channels, cost drivers, emerging global services in order to impact and lead change to existing channel or suggest alternatives.
• Champion corporate procurement and commodity team initiatives within the platform, formed procurement leader team and executive steering council across all companies to address synergies on $4B+ spend.
• Sourcing program has captured $20+mm new and recurring savings through national account management on subset of spend. Group spend category savings averaged between 2% and 38%. On track for significant increase in benefits in 2007 and 2008.
• Developed the planning, project management, metrics, reporting tools to capture and communicate progress to senior management.
o Implemented a credible supplier scorecard that included performance metrics, measurement rules and basis, for all commodities addressed on a multi-company basis. Ties directly to operations scorecards to ensure savings hit bottom-line of company.
o Developed gated project management process by modifying industry proven sourcing process to make adaptable to Koch’s business requirements and culture, gaining acceptance and participation in the sourcing program.
o Lead regular meetings with Executive Steering Team, Operations Management, and Procurement Leadership Team to track and report progress of the overall sourcing program, each individual category of spend, and special projects.
o Personally facilitate select “never done before” strategic sub-category teams including freight transportation, MRO, professional and contractor services. Achieved 5-38% first cost savings on completed subcategories.
• Personally leading best practice group for engineering, construction, and onsite services selection and project execution services.
• Facilitated the adoption and execution of new origination, procurement, and contracting practices (company-wide spend analysis; e-RFX; auctions, ERP, low cost country; global sourcing programs.
Director – Supply Chain Management (Sourcing and Business Development)
Fortune 30 energy company involved in diversified energy segments including domestic and international operations in midstream services, power generation, a regulated utility, retail energy services, telecom/broadband, and marketing and trade.
Develop and maintain sourcing vision, processes, and organization for selecting, managing, and developing the enterprise’s strategic suppliers supporting operations, maintenance, and capital projects. Executed unified processes and initiatives that improve cost, quality, delivery, and service criteria and foster long-term collaborative relationships with the enterprise supply chain.
• Managed corporate/contractor group of eleven staff and attract, develop, and retain the talent base.
• Worked closely with the business units to develop, communicate, and execute specific sourcing strategies in conjunction with their objectives and strategies while optimizing total cost of ownership and total relationship value programs.
• Created, maintains, and drives continuous improvement in professional relationships with internal and external clients and suppliers.
• Tracked historic purchases, provide spend analytics, and measure ongoing savings results.
• Sourcing group achieved 2-30% “first-cost” savings on category initiatives in 12 months ending July 2002.
• Led emerging Supplier Business Development initiative, which resulted in $1.5mm increase revenues in first 8 months of the program. Originated $40mm same time period. Worked with marketing and sales to assess opportunities to provide electricity, natural gas, broadband/telecom, and related products to key supplier facilities across the U.S.
Group Manager/Lead Negotiator - Supply Chain Management
Fortune 100 telecom company providing wireline and wireless services nationwide
As a Group Manager, led Supply Chain Management’s efforts to leverage purchasing power resulting in maximized price, contractual terms, contractor and supplier service levels, and protected liability. Responsible for enterprise-wide strategic sourcing and contracting for building and fiber-route construction, operations, maintenance, leasehold improvements, software development, consulting services, technical contract labor, and all equipment, commodities, and material for network infrastructure construction.
• Managed contract agreement coordinators and staff negotiators.
• Broadened and developed supplier base creating competition for emerging technology procurements. Achieved cost savings from the sourcing process and also negotiated value added terms and conditions.
• Achieved improved terms and conditions for strategic projects increasing value add of deals.
• Creates and supports annual cost savings of $50-$100 million for network sourcing team.
• Lowered initial costs of strategically sourced product/services 5-25%. Led initiatives to capture ongoing productivity improvements with suppliers capturing 3-10% additional cost savings.
• Recipient of the Chairman’s Quality Award in 2001.
Manager of Contracting/Contract Risk Manager/Supply Process Manager
Led complex procurement and contracting projects and initiatives. Work across sites with respect to contract and contractor management, alliance development, and supply chain management.
• Developed, implemented, and directed the contract management capability (CMC) for Operations Group. Included development of best practice contract management process and integration with company’s capital asset project process
• Hired and managed site contracting professionals
• Authored best practices Contract Management Practices & guidelines.
• Co-led a strategic alliance development and negotiation effort with a global engineering and maintenance organization to integrate 200 contractor resources that would ensure the plant’s strategic business model was achieved on refining general maintenance, environmental and remediation, small capital projects and turnaround activities.
• Led and negotiated two complex closeout exercises of alliance-type corporate relationships. Proper closeout activity including lessons learned, appropriate level of audit, and negotiations resulted in recovery of approximately $1,000,000.
• Led negotiation of large labor contract with Venezuelan contractor for 10-20 year international project.
EPC Project Procurement Manager (other positions held: Project Proposal Coordinator; Contract Administrator II, III)
Manage commercial contracting and procurement aspects (planning; definition; strategy; solicitation; negotiation; execution; checkout/startup; contract management; supplier performance measurement) of international and domestic Engineering. Procurement, and Construction (EPC) projects (mechanical, electrical, chemical, civil engineered equipment and construction related services) and proposals. Direct supervision over a group of professionals with responsibility for any and all materials and equipment for a project and all subcontracts for a project. Project list available upon request.
MBA, 3.86 GPA; BSB, Sales & Marketing, 3.46 GPA
Certified Purchasing Manager (C.P.M.), Institute of Supply Management (ISM), Tempe, Arizona
Member: ISM; Southwest Purchasing Association, Houston, Texas;
Council Supply Chain Management Professionals; National Freight Transportation Association