SALES AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT LEADER
An accomplished executive with a prolific career building and energizing teams and growing revenue. Sales leadership roles ranging from Fortune 500ís to smaller IoT and SAAS businesses looking to expand into new markets. Areas of focus:
- Emerging Technology: IoT, SAAS, RFID, Telematics, Cold-chain, Diagnostics, Printed Electronics, Intelligent Packaging
- Omni-Channel Marketing: Data-driven solutions within AIDC, POS/POP, Packaging, Print
Spearheaded a wide range of mission-critical initiatives that have consistently found success. An accomplished sales, business development and commercialization leader inspiring teams up to 80+ and $250 million P&L. I have a natural curiosity for new technologies/business models, and a passion for simplifying and enhancing product and service offerings.
Taking disruptive products to market with the right messaging, in the right way, to the right prospects, along with sales accountability and focus is a process that delivers revenue growth. Creating and implementing a performance management sales process, building and energizing teams, and being a polished ambassador for my company while tirelessly building their brand isnít always easy. . . . but it's what I know and do well.
Noregon | Greenville, SC | 2021-Present
Director of National Accounts
I lead a team of 11 consisting of national account sales executives, field trainers, and inside sales reps. We sell hardware and SAAS solutions that deliver actionable data insights to the largest fleets, repair facilities, dealers and 3rd party TSPís in the industry. Weíre building our business to become the leading provider of diagnostic tools for heavy-duty commercial vehicles.
- Created accountability and focus where little existed by establishing sales processes without stunting the teams ability to use creative tactics and align solutions to the unique needs of a wide array of customers.
- In just 10 months in the role, following a year of decline, revenues are up 18% and we have a robust pipeline of trials underway that will fuel our growth for Q4 and into 2022.
SmartSense Products LLC | Greenville, SC | 2020-2021
CCO, Chief Commercial Officer
Having provided consulting and go-to-market expertise to SmartSense since early 2019, I was offered and accepted the opportunity of a larger role at the beginning of 2020 as an equity parter in this disruptive new early startup business.
- Developed consensus with owners around product differentiation and creation of our value proposition. Instrumental in helping to develope the business strategy, product mix, positioning and go-to-market approach.
- Forged new relationships, driving business development and sales efforts through targeted market research leveraging my network and cold calling. Secured new POC project with one of the flooring industries largest manufacturers.
- Created a new (patent pending) product that addresses unsolved market needs leveraging the companies exisiting IP.
- Secured $250k in new business with an early, private equity funded startup with enormous upside potential.
PARC (a Xerox Company) | Palo Alto, CA | 2018-2020
Senior Director, Business Development & Commercialization
Recruited by CEO to lead business strategy and commercialization within the focused areas of Printed Electronics, Sensors, RFID, IOT solutions.
- Brought together internal stakeholders and created a structure to collect/capture a divergent set of possible business opportunities and areas of focus, before successfully converging ideas and building consensus around a go-forward strategy.
- Conducted market research, investigated and evaluated business case options to determine optimal alignment, and created a strategy addressing corporate revenue/investment goals; 75% of proposed plan was adopted as the go-forward approach.
- Developed a pipeline of paid product development opportunities with Fortune 500 clients for broad commercialization, including RFID, bio-sensing, structural health monitoring, retail based smartPOP, consumer-based apps, and in-mold printed electronics
- Selected as executive lead to develop business case for a JV with another multinational firm within Printed /Hybrid Electronics. Directed the joint team of 14 stakeholders from both companies to establish business goals, evaluation criteria, timelines, and deliverables. Within 6 months, explored opportunities and created a comprehensive MOU, and options to move the business venture forward.
RR Donnelley | Warrenville, IL | 2004-2018
Vice President, Printed Electronics, 2015-2018
Serving as the business lead, strategized and spearheaded the creation of this new startup technology business. Transitioned internally developed capabilities into differentiated products and solutions. Created the go-to-market strategy, and led the sales team to monetize the new offerings encompassing 3 unique product families: Custom RFID solutions, IOT & Cold-chain Cloud platform, and lighted greeting card products.
- Recruited and hired top talent to assemble a highly skilled team encompassing Sales, Field Engineering, Marketing, Vendor Management, and Product Management to build brand and market exposure, and accelerate revenue generation.
- Directed product management, creating a comprehensive product roadmap and a low budget marketing plan to support
- Grew the RFID business by over 300% and sold new contracts projected to deliver an additional $7M in revenue in 2018 by defining, communicating, and aligning product development, marketing, and sales on new focused set of business priorities.
- Collaborated with other leaders to sync R&D development and manufacturing deliverables with the go-to-market strategy.
- Executed business strategy delivering new, more complex, hybrid electronics products to enable a new cold-chain monitoring business; conducted hands-on market research and customer engagements to ID needs and guide R&D and product devíl efforts. Led development of product/service offering including a new cloud platform (SaaS) to provide data insights needed for complying with FSMA mandates. Secured reseller contracts, and sold initial stocking orders with 4 new complimentary channel partners.
- Simultaneously our team developed a successful plan to create a product with a short selling cycle that served as a steppingstone to perfect manufacturing processes prior to the full launch of the cold-chain offering. New non-technical products leveraged the existing RRD sales channel while minimizing risk to accelerating product and business development efforts.
Vice President Sales, North Central Area, 2006-2014
Provided sales leadership, strategic direction and sales process accountability to drive sustainable, profitability growth through a period of significant organizational change.
- Defined key areas of improvement and continuously upgrade team skills (74 sales reps & 6 RSMís) to generate sales growth, achieve product revenue targets, and optimize KPI results related to manpower, working capital, EBITDA, and expense management.
- Managing a constricted budget, I created a strategy to focus sales pipeline pursuits on largest fortune 1000 clients and direct resources to only the most promising clients who could leverage RRD's full offering of value-added products and services.
- Carefully managed employee attrition, focused and consolidated the team (now encompassing 8 RSMís and 55 sales reps) to grow sales revenue from $152M to $250M and increased sales productivity by 221% (to $4.5M/rep).
- VP National Accounts, TOPS Products
- VP Sales Operations and Customer Service, RR Donnelley
- Sales GM Ė Midwest Central Area, Moore Wallace -
- Regional Sales Mgr Ė Ohio Region, Moore Wallace
- The University of Toledo - BBA, Marketing Management
- Ohio Army National Guard - Material Control Supply & Accounting Specialist