CHIEF COMMERCIAL OFFICER / SVP SALES & MARKETING
Medical Device - Healthcare Technology
Successful at collaborating with Boards of Directors and senior leadership teams to create new products, new markets, and new profitable business relationships. Expertise in building, integrating, and leading high performance teams in an open, honest, fun working environment.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
* Medical Device / Technology Sales & Marketing
* Building and Managing Commercial Teams
* New Product Development / Life Cycle
* Strategic Planning for Growth & Value Creation
* Commercial Budget Development / Management
* Corporate Financing / Venture Funding
Proven ability to maximize investments, create value, and drive revenues in public, private, VC-funded and start-up organizations.
VESSIX VASCULAR, INC. - Laguna Hills, CA Apr 2012 to Present
Chief Commercial Officer
Recruited by former CEO of Cardiac Science, Inc. to join this private VC funded renal denervation medical device start-up company. Responsible and accountable for the development and execution of the company's worldwide commercial strategy. Report to the President & CEO.
* Developed OUS marketing and commercial distribution strategy with a focus on direct operations in Germany and Australia/New Zealand.
* Led the recruitment of 13 new clinical study sites in Germany and Australia / New Zealand that would support the company's commercial strategy.
* Member of executive team that facilitated the sale of Vessix to Boston Scientific Corporation. Post-acquisition, continued in a consulting role to manage integration of sales & marketing.
Vessix Vascular was acquired by Boston Scientific Corporation for $425 million in Nov 2012.
ANGIOSCORE, INC. - Fremont, CA Oct 2005 to Apr 2012
Senior Vice President Sales and Marketing
Recruited to join this private VC funded interventional cardiology and peripheral medical device start-up. Responsible and accountable for worldwide marketing and commercial strategy. Led a staff of over 60 sales, marketing, and customer service professionals within a budget of $25.0 million. Member of the Executive Committee and Corporate Officer. Report to the President and CEO.
* Grew total revenue from zero sales in 2005 to $40 million in 2011 with 2012 sales achieving $50 million. USA sales grew at a Compound Average Growth Rate (CAGR) of more than 60% since USA distribution began in 2007, achieving more than $40+ million in 2012.
* Achieved positive EBITDA in Q1 2012 due in part to careful management of sales and marketing expenses and exceptional sales productivity.
* Built worldwide sales organization from zero sales professionals in 2006 to 48 direct USA sales representatives, four Regional Sales Directors, a Director of Field Sales Training, and anOUS distribution executive.
* Developed marketing strategy including brand and product development, product positioning, pricing, and marketing communications for five new products that now account for 80% of sales revenue.
* Negotiated major distribution agreement with Biotronik AG for major EU markets and with Volcano Corporation for Japan along with independent distributors in Italy, U.K., Spain, South Korea, India, Taiwan, and several Middle Eastern countries.
CARDIAC SCIENCE, INC. (NASDAQ:DFIB) - Irvine, CA 1998 to 2005
Chief Marketing Officer (2004 to 2005)
Vice President, Worldwide Sales & Marketing (1998 to 2003)
Recruited to join this public automated external cardiac defibrillation (AED) and services corporation. Responsible and accountable for worldwide sales, marketing and business strategy. Led a total staff of over 80 sales and marketing professionals within a budget of $22.0 million. Member of Executive Committee and Corporate Officer. Report to Chairman/ CEO.
* Grew revenue from $100,000 in 1999 to $68.5 million in 2004 for a CAGR of 269%. Revenue guidance for 2005 from $75 to $80 million.
* Recognized by independent industry professionals for exceptional revenue growth; company ranked Number 4 in Deloitte & Touche's 2004 "Fast 500" technology company rankings for North America and named "2004 Medical Devices Entrepreneurial Company of the Year" by Frost & Sullivan.
* Built worldwide sales organization from zero sales professionals in 1998 to 70 domestic and international sales professionals in 2005. Identified, recruited, trained, developed, and motivated sales team to achieve successively increasing quarterly sales goals.
* Identified, negotiated, and established sales distribution channels in over 50 countries in the Pacific Rim, Asia, Middle East, Europe and Latin America contributing 25% of company's sales revenue.
* Identified, negotiated and developed OEM partnerships with GE Healthcare, Quinton Cardiology, Inc. and Criticare Systems, Inc. resulting in revenue generation in excess of $2.0+ million.
* Developed marketing strategy including brand and product development, product positioning, pricing, and marketing communications, for eight new products that now account for 85% of sales revenue.
* Increased AED market share from 14% in 2001 to 25% in 2004, advancing from a distant number three position to the number two position tied with Medtronic, Inc.
* Developed direct marketing campaigns that have resulted in a cost per lead of less than $75 and a direct marketing investment to sales ratio of less than 10%.
Cardiac Science, Inc. merged with Quinton Cardiology in Sep 2005.
BRITESMILE, INC. (NASDAQ:BSML) - Salt Lake City, UT 1997 to 1998
Vice President of Sales & Marketing
Recruited to join this $5 million public aesthetic dental products company. Full responsibility for worldwide sales, marketing and business strategy, new business development and global distribution alliances. Member of Executive Committee and Corporate Officer. Reported to President/CEO.
* Catalyst in transitioning Britesmile from an industrial laser company to a nationwide dental products/systems provider. Redefined market strategy and positioning, redeveloped and commercialized core product lines, established brand differentiation, and launched nationwide marketing and business development initiatives.
* Orchestrated development of several international distribution agreements to expand emerging markets in China, Korea, Taiwan and France. International revenues projected to grow to 25%+ of total company revenue over three years.
EMPATH GROUP - San Francisco, CA 1995 to 1997
Senior Vice President, Marketing & Business Development
Recruited by the President of this start-up physician practice consulting venture to plan and lead business strategy, marketing, new business development and competitive market positioning. Concurrent responsibility for establishing and managing senior-level client relationships. Reported to President.
* Personally negotiated and closed three large contracts with major hospital systems forecasted deliver revenue in excess of $1 million.
* Conceived product and market strategy, developed business plan and led market introduction with projections at $8 million in sales and $4 million in operating income by year three.
LASERSCOPE SURGICAL SYSTEMS, INC. (NASDAQ:LSCP) - San Jose, CA 1993 to 1995
Vice President, Marketing
Recruited to join this $36 million public medical laser company. Full responsibility for worldwide business strategy and marketing, new business development and international distribution channels. Led a staff of 17 professionals and managed a $3.5 million budget. Reported to President/CEO.
* Increased sales in major product group from $5 million in 1993 to $9.5 million in 1994. Achieved #1 market share position at 35% by commercializing three new products.
* Identified and guided development of new office-based medical laser system, generating orders for 50 new systems and $2 million in new business revenue.
C.R. BARD, INC. (NYSE:BCR) - Billerica, MA 1982 to 1993
Director of Marketing - USCI Angiography Division (1991 to 1993)
Senior executive with full strategic planning and leadership responsibility for worldwide marketing and business development for this $130 million cardiology products division of $2.0+ billion C.R. Bard. Member of the division's Management Board, driving policy and strategic decisions for the division. Reported to President.
* Identified market opportunities, orchestrated development/commercialization of four new product releases, and licensed a new medical device which grew to $30 million in revenue.
Market Manager - Bard Vascular Systems Division (1990 to 1991)
Directed new product development, new business development, marketing strategy, market research, marketing communications and licensing for $35 million division. Led team of four Product Managers.
* Created and executed strategy for a new soft tissue repair device. Built from start-up to $40+ million in annual sales with $32 million gross profit.
Market Manager - Bard Cardiosurgery Division (1989 to 1990)
Led acquisition and commercialization of new vascular graft to fulfill unmet market need. Spearheaded growth from market launch to $5 million in profitable annual sales.
Sales Representative (1982), promoted to Product Manager (1984) and Senior Product Manager (1988).
PFIZER, INC. (NYSE:PFE) - HOSPITAL PRODUCTS DIVISION - Los Angeles, CA
Sales Representative - Ranked in the Top 5 of national sales force.
NOXELL CORPORATION - Los Angeles, CA
Sales Representative - Ranked #5 out of a 130-person national sales force.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, FULLERTON - Fullerton, CA
B.A., Business Administration & Marketing