Business Development & Chemical Engineering Operations Leader skilled at delivering Engineering Services, Equipment and Systems to the Energy & Process Sectors
Executive with the experience, confidence and vision to develop business strategies, product offerings and commercial relationships necessary to launch a new business effort or grow a product portfolio.
Over the last 15 years, I have served corporations with revenues ranging from $3 million to $4 billion. These firms each had a vision, and required an experienced, hands-on executive to lead development and implementation of a business plan. My broad understanding of chemical process technologies and commercial experience in global business development provided these companies a resource to develop their visions into reality.
Representative Commercial Successes
Engaged as VP of Business Development by a small engineering firm with a vision to develop a new business model offering process technology, engineering services and equipment to chemical sector clients. While assisting with planning, business development and organizational transformation, closed first stand-alone process license, including equipment and engineering services, to Asian corporation for $4 million. Commissioned as the first commercial process unit of its kind just 8 months after contract signing. Negotiated contracts for the process with six additional companies over the following 4 years.
Retained as President by the same engineering firm, led development and launch of new integrated chemical production technology, contracting for $8 million in technology and engineering design services with large publicly traded Chinese manufacturer constructing a $500 million facility.
Engaged as Business Development Director of a midsize separation systems and services firm to formulate business plan and lead implementation to enter biofuels segment. Helped build engineering and advisory teams to drive the development process. Built industry relationships and secured technology license and EPC contract for unique, proprietary first oil extraction.
Launched extraction technology business development effort for same midsize firm in different segment. Today firm has recurring service revenue in segment of $15 million providing services to 40 clients which installed the process systems.
As a global manager over process plants and systems for a large international process equipment manufacturer, led development and commercialization of a process system to address differentiated market needs in Asia and South America. Managed introduction and business development, closing $6 million engineering and equipment contract for the first facility in Asia with a Fortune 50 company. Client contracted for total of 20 production lines over a 5 year period.
Private Engagements (2013 to Present)
Business strategy & planning, engineering operation advisor and chemicals sector subject matter expert.
- Midsize Process Systems and Services Firm: Business planning to support vision for development of separations and upgrading process platforms in industrial bioprocessing sector.
- ENR Top 100 E&C Firm: Business planning, pre-project & subject matter expert support responsibilities for chemicals sector.
- Expert Services to Law Firms: Cases included (1) multi-billion dollar international supply contract dispute and (2) technology & engineering services contract dispute.
- Product Distribution: Private efforts with small companies engaged in marketing of equipment and materials for inspection equipment.
Small Chemical Engineering Design Firm (2007 to 2013)
President & COO (2010 to 2013), Vice President Business Development (2007 to 2009)
- Worked closely with owner to develop management team and establish new office during 2007-8, expanding staff to over 60 people in two years with annual revenues to $15 million.
- Negotiated licensing and engineering contracts with 8 Asian clients and took project executive lead.
- Spearheaded commercialization of new integrated chemical process technology through third-party technology evaluation, licensing and development of engineering team. Negotiated first contract for $8 million for technology and engineering services.
- Commercialized proprietary catalytic reaction system, leading international process licensing and sales of engineering services, equipment and catalyst.
Private Consulting and Part-Time Executive Positions (2003 to 2009)
- Director of Business Development: Prepared business development strategy, advised process team, managed techno-economic modeling, led business development effort and contracted to build the first biorefinery based on the unique technology.
- General Manager: Led business planning & managed US start-up of industrial equipment division for $1 billion Japanese manufacturer. Company attained #2 position in US market for core product.
- Technical Director: Contracted by nutraceutical products firm to lead scaling of extraction technology, manufacturing process design and advise on intellectual property.
Large International Conglomerate (2001 to 2003)
General Manager, Product Inspection Equipment
Charged with developing new US business after acquisition of UK specialty equipment manufacturer.
- Developed domestic sales & service organization to support product line integration into company.
- Directly managed agents and key accounts, driving revenue by focusing on corporate accounts.
- US sales reached $4 million within two years. Positioned to attain market leadership in year five.
Global Process Equipment Manufacturer (1995 to 2001)
Global Manager - Process Plants & Systems
Responsible for global management of a $30 million specialty separation, process systems business. Directly accountable for process design and new technology development. Coordinated design & procurement for projects across six global engineering offices. Implemented marketing strategies and establishing price policies with 13 regional sales managers. Formed business alliances and developed license agreements to further product growth.
- Increased sales by 25% by responding to industry change with modified processing technique.
- Managed launch of modified processing technique and introduced to #1 industry leader. Captured $6 million engineering services and equipment contract, and a total of 20 process plants over 5 year period.
- Structured alliance with upstream technology provider with EPC capabilities in South America and Asia. Sales increase resulted in moving EP offering to #1 market share in Brazil.
- Restructured global engineering resources after downsizing and relocation of European headquarters by optimally distributing workload over six global engineering offices. Project increase of 40% managed through regional offices, saving $1 million in labor.
- Custom engineered solution for multi-plant project with #2 industry leader, establishing position as primary supplier. Multiple site installations accounted for 20% of budgeted sales.
Sales & Key Account Manager
- Grew direct sales of process systems 25% annually for two consecutive years.
- Led business development at US accounts and global key accounts for launch for new flagship product, achieving over 80% market share for new product sales in US market.
Global Leader in Refinery Process Technology, Engineering Services, Equipment & Products (1989 to 1995)
Business Development - Championed business development and technology licensing for catalytic reaction and adsorptive separation process technologies as part of new technologies group.
Chemical Engineer - Global field, project and process engineering responsibilities. Supervised plant commissionings, turnarounds, reactor inspections, catalyst loadings and process optimization in refineries and chemical plants including hydrotreating, hydrocracking, reforming and gas processing operations in the US, Asia and Middle East.
MBA & B.S. Chemical Engineering from Top Tier Universities.