Innovative and results-driven strategic and engaged leader with significant global experience launching, managing, and optimizing pharmaceuticals, medical devices, cosmetics, hardware and software product portfolios. Proven performance driving the growth of market share and revenue in the US and internationally, from pre-clinical pipeline assessment through regulatory approval and commercialization, with an emphasis on long-term strategy.
q Commercial Strategy: Proven ability to rapidly identify business opportunities and formulate corresponding portfolio and brand strategies intended to drive double-digit market growth across diverse geographies. Expertise developing franchise strategies, which include pipeline plan, new indications, geographic expansion, and identification of whitespace opportunities. Significant experience identifying and evaluating business development opportunities.
q Business Leadership: Record of consistently leading culturally diverse teams to exceed company objectives. Demonstrated expertise aligning organizations and gaining funding for new development projects. Leadership style recognized as motivational and relatable. Member of two of the three governing leadership teams at Allergan including the Operational Leadership Team comprised of <50 cross-functional individuals globally who guide strategy across the broader organization. Recognized for exceptional leadership performance by consistent promotions, and additional responsibility throughout career.
q Global Business Perspective: Significant global experience working in a variety of international and regional roles with experience residing in seven different countries. Legal authorization to work anywhere in Canada, the EU, and the US; multilingual in English, French and Portuguese. Possesses in-depth expertise developing funding specific strategies and taking megabrand products to emerging markets.
ALLERGAN 2008 -2016
Vice President of Marketing, Topical Dermatology, Irvine, CA (2015-2016)
Commercial responsibility for leading all aspects of marketing and strategic communication for two separate dermatology franchises including SkinMedica®; a cash-pay, physician dispensed topical aesthetics business unit and the Medical Dermatology division which includes reimbursed topical pharmaceutical products for skin conditions. Responsible for >$650M US business revenue and $55M marketing budget. Led 11 direct reports, and reported into General Manager.
- More than doubled domestic SkinMedica® revenue growth rate in a period of one year to position franchise as market share leader by year end.
- Gained #1 share position for Aczone® in non-retinoid topical acne market basket and market leadership for Tazorac® in single-agent retinoids.
- Developed franchise strategy and pipeline plan based on expanding existing footprints and identifying new high growth segments to enter. Successfully grew Rx pipeline of projects to represent over 10% of total upstream projects for the entire organization. Aggressively evaluated over 40 business development opportunities in one year.
- Developed and launched Aczone® (7.5% a new therapeutic acne drug) in mid-2016. Drove prescription conversion and, customer growth by heavy investment in consumer as well as professional launch activities. Doubled strategic communication investment to reach over 90% of prescribers within three months of approval through speakers programs and heavy congress presence.
- Achieved the most successful launch in the professional dispensed skin care market with SkinMedica®s HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator representing over 10% of SkinMedica® sales and 3% of the entire market.
- Grew share in the sun protection segment by over 10 points with the launch of Total Defense & Repair and Essential Defense.
- More than doubled incremental promotional sales in a one-year period by developing programs focused on stretching account buy-in to drive incremental sales.
Senior Director, US Plastic Surgery, Irvine, CA (2013 - 2014)
Led US downstream marketing department focused on medical devices with even mix of cash-pay augmentation and reimbursed reconstruction to develop -strategies and initiatives to expand Plastic Surgery units market position with flagship surgical products, including Natrelle® breast implants and Seri® Surgical Scaffold. Responsible for >$200M business revenue and four direct reports.
- Demonstrated top-line growth in flat market and successfully protected share during a period of aggressive new market entrants and price erosion through a focus on premium products, value added services and channel strategy.
- Outperformed the aesthetic market by over 10% by establishing strategies and initiatives focused on driving new consumers to physicians offices and motivating existing patients to try new treatments.
- Developed the launch strategy for Seri® Surgical Scaffold, a new transformational silk-based technology, to enter the highly competitive soft-tissue support and repair market. Led the go-to-market initiatives, which focused on penetrating key applications within Plastic Surgery, and converting targeted competitive accounts. Achieved re-order rates of >75% and >10% share in first six months of launch.
- Drove sales and account penetration of new technology Natrelle® 410 Shaped Breast Implant and tissue expander through Made-to-Match Campaign which created a competitive differentiation of the system and resulted in a one-third unit conversion and >60% account penetration in first year of launch.
Senior Marketing Director, Aesthetics, Asia Pacific, Singapore (2012-2013)
In one-year interim assignment, responsible for >$250M business and eight direct reports. Led the regional marketing and training efforts for Allergans entire range of medical aesthetic products in Asia Pacific, including Botox®, Juvederm®, Latisse®, and Natrelle®. Developed and executed strategies for both established and emerging markets within 13 countries.
- Drove sales growth over 30% in 2012 through:
o Increased investment in value-added programs such as training and business development tools, with a 35% increase in HCPs trained.
o Product differentiation including competitive blunting tools and activities.
o New technologies, procedures and product launches.
o Focus on expansion and investment in high growth markets such as Japan and China.
- Grew market share of fillers by 35% and breast by 5% despite intensifying low-priced competition including local products and illegal imports.
Senior Director, Global Strategic Marketing, Irvine, CA (2008-2012)
Assumed multiple roles of increasing responsibility managing a diverse dermatology portfolio including megabrands such as Botox® Cosmetic, Juverderm®, Latisse®, and medical dermatology products such as Aczone®.
Held upstream/global responsibility for 30% of $5.3B portfolio and over $1.5B in global revenue.
- Grew portfolio from 23% total sales to 30%, which equated to a 61% portfolio growth rate over the period vs. 23% total company growth.
- Drove franchise plan and corresponding pipeline strategy, resulting in more than 30 new R&D projects approved and funded for development. New product sales (three years or less) increased from 1% to over 10% of total sales. Noteworthy technologies included:
o Development of Juverderm® XC (lidocaine) and Vycross® technologies including Juverderm Voluma®, Volbella®, and Volift®.
o Botox indication expansion for crows feet and forehead lines.
o Hair growth franchise development including the approval of Latisse® as well as creation of scalp hair growth technologies.
- Grew Juvederm® Filler franchise to the number one worldwide position by developing a global Juvederm® brand and launching new leapfrog technologies.
- Maintained Botox® Cosmetics number one global share despite numerous new entrants to market by establishing global messaging, supporting data packages and competitive differentiation.
- Developed geographic market expansion strategies, which drove international sales to over 50% by internationalizing the product portfolio and developing new regional products and procedures for emerging markets.
BIOSENSE WEBSTER (Division of JOHNSON & JOHNSON); 2001-2007
- Director of US Marketing, Diamond Bar, CA (2006 2007)
- Worldwide Group Product Director, Diamond Bar, CA (2004 2006)
- Marketing Manager, Europe, Middle East & Africa, Brussels, Belgium (2002 2004)
- Clinical Support/Field Marketing, Paris, France (2001 2002)
THUNDERBIRD SCHOOL OF GLOBAL MANAGEMENT, Glendale, AZ
International Masters of Business Administration (IMBA) with Concentration in Global Marketing
McMASTER UNIVERSITY, Ontario, Canada
Bachelor of Commerce, Minor in Manufacturing Engineering with Honors