SENIOR QUALITY AND OPERATIONS EXECUTIVE
Automotive OEM | Automotive Tier1 | Heavy Equipment
"Developing and Advancing Quality Management Systems to Reduce Cost and Improve Customer Satisfaction"
Determined and motivated quality and operations executive with expertise in supplier and in-process quality enhancement, product development, and team leadership. Skilled at driving a close-loop process between Customer Quality, Advanced Product Quality, and Operations Quality.
M.B.A. Operations Management, University of Phoenix (in process)
B.S. Industrial Business / Manufacturing Management, Kettering University
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Quality Engineering & Management | Supplier & In Process Quality | OEMs | Tier 1 Suppliers | Mass Production | Parts Warranty | New Model Product Launch| Model Year Change Over | Lean Manufacturing | APQP | Multi-Site Operations | Quality Training | Engineer Mentoring| Cost Reduction | Process Improvement | Kaizen | FMVSS Toyota Production Systems (TPS) | Kanban | Poka-Yokes | 5 Whys | 8 Step | GD&T | ISO9000 | CpK | PpK | PPM Reduction Genchi Genbutsu (Go & See) | JIT | Muda reduction | Standardized Work | Yokoten | Six Sigma
OSHKOSH CORPORATION - Oshkosh, WI 2011 - Oct 2015
Senior Director of Quality, Commercial Division (2013 - Oct 2015)
Directed quality strategy and initiatives for the $1B Commercial Division, comprised of 5 independent business units (McNeilus, IMT, LMI, Con-E-Co, and Oshkosh Front Discharge) and their manufacturing and engineering sites. Led a team of 7 direct reports and 65 employees.
* Developed 3-year Quality Strategy for the Commercial Division outlining long term objectives, goals, and initiatives driving common processes across the entire division. Increased annual Cost of Poor Quality savings from $200K to $5.5M.
* Implemented product warranty per unit tracking at 3 and 12 months in service, greatly improving As Delivered Quality and Product Reliability.
* Created a Customer Quality Department to better support full product life cycle and resolve customer quality issues. Drove a 50% reduction in warranty expense as a percent of sales.
* Implemented Voice of Customer data collection process to better understand customer needs and issues and drive resolution.
Director of Quality, McNeilus (2011 - 2013)
Recruited to direct quality for the McNeilus business unit, which manufactures concrete mixers and refuse trucks for the construction and waste management industries. Served as ISO Management Representative at McNeilus. Led a team of 3 direct reports and 33 employees.
* Implemented Corporate Quality Management System to drive common processes and procedures including new Quality Policy and Quality Objectives.
* Drove quality in the New Product Development process. Implement Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP); executed Process Flow Charts, Process Failure Mode Effects & Analysis (PFMEAs), Control Plans, Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA), and Capability Studies.
* Implemented the Corrective Action Review Board (CARB) process. Created cross-functional team to prioritize Field Quality Reports, identify root cause, and drive corrective action.
* Implemented web-based Corrective Action Preventative Action (CAPA) system, which served as the one safe source for quality events, and allowed McNeilus to identify, contain, investigate and resolve quality events.
* Created Supplier Quality Department to improve quality of incoming material, conduct supplier audits, prepare and approve Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) documents, and drive root cause corrective actions.
* Improved As-Built Quality, reducing defects per unit by 70% and increasing first pass yield by over 30%.
CATERPILLAR INCORPORATED - Peoria, IL 2008 - 2011
Quality APQP Manager (2009 - 2011)
Drove quality in New Product Introduction models. Implemented APQP; executed Process Flow Charts, PFMEAs, Control Plans, MSA, and Capability Studies. Led a team of 4 direct reports and 20 employees.
* Project Leader for new plant start-up projects; consistently enhanced new product quality performance and manufacturing processes.
* Manufacturing Engineering Process Owner for Caterpillar. Developed and implemented manufacturing training course curriculum and materials; facilitated cross-functional training sessions.
* Achieved 98% APQP effectiveness and 96% positive course feedback on ME training courses.
Project Team Leader (2008 - 2009)
Managed a new start-up department, Advanced Manufacturing Engineering, part of the Caterpillar Production System Division, to attain substantial growth through resourceful and goal-driven leadership. Established multi-site locations; and grew the department from 1 to 65 employees.
* Conducted divisional cross-functional team-setting strategy for Caterpillar. Established mission and vision, and generated metrics, A3s, reporting tools, and Obeyas for the new department; led integrated APQP council.
* Executed project planning for Significant (high risk) Tier IV new model introductions.
TOYOTA MOTOR MANUFACTURING - Princeton, IN 2004 - 2008
Customer Quality Engineer (2007 - 2008)
Analyzed vehicle models customer acceptance field data; addressed identified issues to successful resolution to increase customer satisfaction. Managed warranty claims, dealer feedback, and customer surveys data.
* Led complex investigations of customer complaints that could not be detected / contained by manufacturing.
* Investigated Field Technical Reports (FTRs), Port Quality Reports (PQRs), and warranty claims; conducted root cause analysis and collaborated with Supplier/Design/Plant to implement effective countermeasures.
* Studied warranty data to identify status and key trends; examined JD Power IQS/PQS data to perceive customer concerns.
* Improved / changed part and vehicle structures basing on customer feedback, working closely with new model development programs. Travelled to suppliers / dealers to facilitate investigations.
* Attained significant warranty cost and PPH reduction.
New Model Development - Tundra Launch (2005 - 2007)
Contributed to the 2007 Tundra Launch through meticulous revision of 2D (paper) part drawings (to assess correct tolerances and part structure and timely identify potential quality issues) and 3D (CAD) part data for structural interferences, mating part issues and part movement confirmation. Designed part check fixtures.
* Created Toyota Inspection Standards (TISs) and Complete Vehicle Inspection Standards (CVIS) parts, as well as prototyped parts for design, quality, and vehicle fitting evaluation and confirmation.
* Was accountable for PPAP; achieving net savings of $5.35/vehicle on 200K annual production volume.
* Successfully launched new Toyota plant and several new supplier facilities.
Interior Specialist (2004 - 2005)
Controlled and ensured proper parts quality on parts from suppliers; evaluated defects (parts, customer, assembly, design areas) and determined immediate temporary counter-measures, root cause, and permanent long-term counter-measures.
* Collaborated with suppliers to successfully develop Poka-Yokes to prevent repeat issues.
* Approved, coordinated, and implemented design Engineering Change Instructions (ECIs) and supplier Process Change Requests (PCRs); facilitated supplier warranty meetings and warranty parts review.
* Reduced supplier defect PPM by 54% and defect documentation by 27%.
GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION, LINDEN ASSEMBLY - Linden, NJ 1996 - 2004
Reliability Engineer (2002 - 2004)
Served as a reliability engineer, ensuring top-notch quality of parts for suppliers; assessed defects and efficiently determined immediate rework/sort method, root cause, and permanent corrective action.
* Coordinated on- and off-sight sort and rework activities with suppliers; prepared Problem Report and Resolution (PPR) documents with a consequent follow-up with Supplier Quality Assurance and Cost Recovery activities to close PRRs.
* Validated, coordinated, and implemented design engineering change orders, and conducted statistical engineering (Shainin) projects.
* Managed prototype (in-plant) pilot Plant Trial Run (PTR) and new option builds.
* Eliminated supplier defect PPM by 68% and defect related line stops by 22%.
Process Control Manager (2000 - 2002)
Led the implementation of General Motors common production quality process and resourcefully managed quality verification stations; generated and sustained verification station operators work standards.
* Ensured proper utilization / application of statistical tools and processes to efficiently resolve special cause, common cause, and hardy perennial type problems
* Masterfully managed Shainin projects, resulting in cost reductions and quality improvements.
* Provided superior expertise on problem solving and quality tools to hourly and salary staff members.
* Attained over $400K savings and eliminated absenteeism by 11%.
Engineering Co-op (1996 - 2000)
On-boarded for the Co-op program; served as a production supervisor for the Trim / Chassis Shop, as well as acted as an integral part of the ISO team. Contributed proactively to supplier quality assurance efforts; absorbed the duties of an Industrial Engineer during the preparation of undergraduate thesis, "Implement Final Line Verification Station." Prepared General Motors Linden Assembly facility for its initial ISO certification and all following audits.
EDUCATION | PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) Operations Management, University of Phoenix (in process)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Industrial Business / Manufacturing Management, Kettering University, 2000
Caterpillar Leadership of the Future, Bradley University, 2008
Certified in ISO QS9001
Certified in Shainin / Red X Strategies
Certified Problem Solving Trainer
Six Sigma Green Belt
Automotive Products: Chevrolet Blazers; Chevrolet S10s; GMC Jimmys; GMC Sonomas; Right Hand Drive Exports; Toyota Tundras; Toyota Sequoias; Toyota Siennas
Commercial Products: Refuse Trucks; Concrete Trucks; Mechanics Trucks; Truck Cranes; Concrete Batch Plants
Part Experience: Interior; Exterior; Function/Electrical and Chassis Components; Plastics (Injection Molding and Blow Molding); Metals (Stamping, Dies, Blanking, Roll Forming); Raw Materials (Fabrics and Leathers)
Heavy Equipment Products: Wheel Loaders; Track Type Tractors; Motor Graders; Excavators; Pipe Layers
Member, Member, National Black MBA Association (NBMBAA)
Member, American Society for Quality (ASQ)