SENIOR MANUFACTURING OPERATIONS LEADER
Multi-Site Operations | Continuous Improvement | Change Management
Decisive, results-driven manufacturing executive with a proven track record of making quantifiable and sustainable improvements with bottom line impact. Effective team builder and leader with the ability to create vision and cultivate a culture of disciplined execution through employee engagement, quality systems, Lean manufacturing, and reliability centered maintenance.
M.B.A. / M.A. Behavioral Science / B.S. Industrial Technology
* Safety, Customer, and Quality First
* Leadership, Execution, and Results
* Vision and Drive for Change
* Lean / Continuous Improvement
* Reliability Centered Maintenance
* Systemic Thinking
* Root Cause Problem Solving
* Change Management
* Building Bench Strength
* Engagement / Empowerment
* Emotional Intelligence
* Conflict Resolution
CONFIDENTIAL MANUFACTURER - Knoxville, TN 2015 - Present
Director of Operational Excellence US - Headquarters - Knoxville, TN (2016 - Present)
Selected to establish an Operational Excellence group to lead a cultural transformation that will enable sustainable business results across the organization.
* Influence and participate in the development of the companys 3-5 year corporate strategy for the US region, cascading the strategy to the shop floor at all plants with a balance between short and long term focus.
* Develop the Continuous Improvement strategy (Lean transformation), and the Reliability Excellence strategy (life cycle asset management).
Director of Manufacturing US - Headquarters - Knoxville, TN (2015 - 2016)
Oversaw multiple manufacturing plants in 9 states with approximately 800 employees. Shaped and led strategy to integrate manufacturing plants from merger / acquisitions. Provided vision and leadership to deploy processes and systems for EH&S, Customer Satisfaction, Quality, Cost Management, Inventory, and Employee Engagement through a culture of Continuous Improvement, using Lean Manufacturing concepts. Hired and developed talent to build bench strength for succession. Managed an operating budget of $60+ MM.
* Successfully integrated 10 plants from 4 different companies into one manufacturing system for the US region by using a systemic approach to implementing common processes and systems.
* Reduced severe injury rate by 89% for US based plants by driving a focus on hazard recognition and mitigation, behavioral based leading indicator tools, and injury case management.
* Contributed to a Y-O-Y 33% increase in EBITDA (record high production of highest margin product).
* Achieved a 21.2% reduction in controllable costs over last 6 months.
* Reduced unplanned scrap by 12.8% Y-O-Y.
* Reduced Lead Time 12% (3 days) from order entry to shipment across all plants.
* Led efforts that resulted in a 9.1% improvement in throughput (48.4% in last two months) and a 76% increase in duration between lost work day injuries (from 52 to 91.5 days), at the most troubled plant in the US.
* Achieved a 17% increase in throughput and an 82% increase in duration between lost work day injuries (from 43 to 78.3 days), at the second most troubled plant in the US.
* Reduced turnover from 45.4% to 8.2% by implementing a direct hire strategy eliminating temp-to-hire approach, conducting a wage analysis and making appropriate adjustments, and implementing a reward and recognition program that increased employee engagement and discretionary effort.
ALCOA, INC. - Alcoa, TN 1991 - 2001 | 2007 - 2015
Alcoa, Inc. (NYSE:AA) is a global leader in lightweight metals technology, engineering and manufacturing serving the automotive, aerospace, industrial and consumer electronics industries.
Senior Operating Manager - Knoxville, TN (2012 - 2015)
Led strategy development and execution for a leadership team with 7 direct reports and 226 hourly and salaried employees across 4 departments (Continuous Cold Mill, Finishing Operations, Shipping, and Roll Grinding) at a unionized aluminum sheet mill with 900+ employees. Managed an operating budget of $60+ MM, while managing a capital budget of $25 MM to improve and sustain an asset base valued at $150 MM. Oversaw management of systems for EH&S, quality, production, and delivery to external customers.
* Achieved $13.1 MM (volume adjusted) savings in conversion cost reduction during tenure.
* Reduced the Recordable Injury Rate by 33.1% in Finishing Operations during tenure.
* Achieved Zero Recordable Injuries in Continuous Cold Mill operations (2012 and 2013) and Finishing Operations (2014).
* Attained record low Customer Incident Rate 3 years back-to-back (Continuous Cold Mill 86% reduction during tenure, and Finishing Operations 61% reduction).
* Reduced Unplanned Scrap 65.4% during tenure (Finishing Operations records in 2012 and 2014).
* Achieved record production: 3.675 MM lb. / day (14.3 MM lb. annual increase in Continuous Cold Mill production, in 2012).
* Attained Best in Class Employee Engagement (89%) 3 years back-to-back across all departments.
* Mentored 6 junior employees at 3 different plant locations.
* Contract Negotiation Team Member during 2014 collective bargaining agreement negotiations with Local 309 US Steelworkers Union.
Alcoa Business System Manager (2010 - 2012)
Responsible for Lean Manufacturing strategy development and tactical implementation support. Directed Lean Manufacturing professionals to drive standards, train, and develop competency in plant leadership and across the workforce to apply Lean knowledge and tools and build a sustainable continuous improvement culture that directly impacted profitability.
* Identified and executed $100+ MM of savings opportunities using various Lean Manufacturing / Continuous Improvement tools including Kaizen, Root Cause Problem Solving, SMED, TPM, 5s, Visual Process Management, Loss Mapping, Benchmarking, and Reward & Recognition.
* Supported Best in Class Employee Engagement by developing and deploying the ABS Learning Center.
* Recognized and awarded twice in 2011 by Plant and Senior Corporate Leadership for sustained impact on plant financial performance.
Ingot Plant Production Superintendent - Lancaster, PA (2007 - 2010)
Developed and executed operating plan for the Ingot Department. Managed a team of 6 salaried direct reports and 77 hourly employees, with a $20 MM budget at a non-union aluminum foundry. Had oversight of systems for environmental, health and safety, quality, production, and lean manufacturing implementation.
* Achieved $28.1 MM savings during tenure; 20% productivity increase, 15 records, 30 top five achievements in 36 months despite a 36% turnover rate.
* Attained 98.4% delivery performance despite 28.6% reduction in Work-in-Process inventory.
* Reduced in-between-cycle time 24%, resulting in $3.5 MM annual savings and 13% capacity growth.
* Increased employee reward and recognition by 33%.
Alcoa Business System Specialist - Lancaster, PA (2007)
Served as Internal Lean Manufacturing Consultant at a non-union aluminum plant producing mill products for OEMs. Coached Superintendents and Managers on use of Lean tools to increase efficiency, and coached / trained hourly employees to use root cause problem solving methodology. Trained and developed Kaizen Event Leaders. Trained and coached department leaders to use the Daily Management System.
Alcoa Business System Coordinator - Alcoa, TN (1998 - 2001)
Served as Internal Lean Manufacturing Consultant in the Finishing Department at a unionized aluminum sheet mill, driving cost savings, increased capacity, and safety improvements.
* Led the Finishing department in implementing the Alcoa Production System, an adaptation of the TPS.
* Led operators to develop standardized work, achieving a 40% reduction in setup time.
* Achieved a 37% reduction in the number of machine setups by implementing width consolidation and fixed flow paths using pattern production.
* Condensed product flow time by one day, achieving a $3.2 MM reduction of Work In Process inventory; implemented staging areas, reduced product cooling time, and implemented standardized work (reducing material handling staffing by 50%).
* Developed operator-managed scheduling process to support pull system implementation, eliminating a scheduler, and reducing inventory by leveraging Heijunka.
* Achieved $27.4 MM annualized savings by implementing a system that prevented delivery of scrap / non-conforming material to production lines and eliminating unnecessary material handling.
* Achieved a $200K reduction in vehicle maintenance costs by replacing electric trucks with emission controlled diesel trucks, and an additional $100K savings by eliminating the need for maintenance on the associated battery charging station.
Finishing Department Supervisor - Alcoa, TN (1996 - 1998)
Directed 40 hourly production and maintenance employees at a unionized aluminum sheet mill.
Can Recycling Supervisor - Newburgh, IN (1995 - 1996)
Supervised 21 hourly production employees at aluminum can recycling plant that supplied molten aluminum to an ingot casting facility at a unionized aluminum sheet mill.
Organization Development Facilitator - Newburgh, IN (1993 - 1995)
Internal Consultant and Trainer supporting Re-engineering, Human Relations, Employee Empowerment, Conflict Resolution, and development of Self-Directed Teams for the Smelting Plant. Also provided Industrial Relations guidance for Smelting management, answered grievances, and supported arbitration preparation.
Reliability Engineer - Newburgh, IN (1991 - 1993)
Reduced catastrophic failures for baghouse fan bearings, hydraulic pumps, and gearboxes. Used Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA) and reliability data analytics to identify equipment failure modes, collaborated with mechanics and electricians to utilize predictive and preventive maintenance, prioritize maintenance work, determine sample frequencies, and chose diagnostic tools and laboratories.
Plant Manager, Formall, Inc. - Knoxville, TN 2006 - 2007
Co-led the start up of a non-union steel fabrication plant (five months from startup to market with zero injuries). Hired, developed, and managed a workforce of 70 employees with $45 MM in revenue. Oversaw equipment installation; negotiated vendor contracts and facilities maintenance contract; implemented cross training strategy and Lean manufacturing concepts (Kanban and Heijunka).
Pastoral Team Member, Cornerstone Church - Knoxville, TN 2002 - 2006
Responsible for Family Life, Small Groups, Music, and Youth ministries, as well as conference planning, public speaking and community outreach. Provided crisis counseling in cases of premature death, anorexia, conflict resolution, marital problems, and parent-teen relationships. Served on 5-member pastoral leadership team.
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), Haslam College of Business, University of Tennessee Knoxville, 2014
Class President; graduated with Honors; completed $22.6 MM Organizational Action Project for Alcoa Inc.
M.A. Behavioral Science, Bastyr University, Leadership Institute of Seattle, 1996
B.S. Industrial Technology, Ohio University, Russ College of Engineering and Technology, 1991
* Polymer Training Confidential Manufacturer Research & Development Group, 2015
* Union Contract Negotiation - Alcoa, Tennessee Operations
* Flat Rolled Products Process Training - Alcoa, Inc., 2013
* Diversity and Inclusion - Alcoa, Inc., 2013
* Labor Relations - Alcoa, Inc., 2012
* Finance for Non-Financial Managers - University of Tennessee, 2011
* Theory of Constraints Training,1st Level Certification - University of Tennessee, 2011
* Process Management Training for Sponsors - Alcoa, Inc., 2011
* Emerging Leader Development Education Program (ELED) - Alcoa, Inc., 2010 - 2011
* Human Performance System and Advocate Training - Alcoa, Inc., 2010, 2011
* Functional Manager Program - Penn State University, 2010
* Molten Metal Safety - Aluminum Association, 2009
* Total Productive Maintenance and Kaizen Deep Dive Courses - Alcoa, Inc., 2007
* Lean Manufacturing Stability Tools - Alcoa, Inc. Center of Excellence, 2007
* Certificate in Pastoral Studies - Sovereign Grace Ministries, 2001 - 2002
COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP / SERVICE
* Administrative Board Member, Fellowship Church, 2015 - Present
* Usher, Community Group Leadership Team, Fellowship Church, 2014 - Present
* Board of Directors / Scholarship Committee, The Restoration House, 2012 - 2014
* Team Mentor, The Restoration House, 2014 - 2015
* Co-Chair, Alcoa African Heritage Network, 2012 - 2014
* Volunteer, United Way Day of Caring, 2008 - 2014
* Mentor, tnAchieves Mentoring Program, 2011 - 2012
* Volunteer, McCaskey High School Mock Interviews, 2008, 2010
* Youth Basketball Coach, Greater Elizabethtown Area Recreational Services, Winter 2008 - 2009
* Volunteer, Habitat for Humanity (through Alcoa, Inc.), 2007, 2010, 2011
* Volunteer, Knox County Council on Aging Mobile Meals, 2003 - 2005