EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR | CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER | CITY MANAGER
Accomplished municipal executive who is passionate about responsible, effective, and capable government for all people. Proven ability to orchestrate growth, partnerships, turnaround, and cultural transformation.
> Turned around the financially-challenged City of Hartford. Achieved 3 years of consistent fund balance growth and revamped financial forecasting, capital improvement, and grants programs. Guided the collective visioning process that established the city's 10-year plan for growth and development.
> Led revitalization of Park New Haven with a robust, ongoing Capital Improvement Plan, and orchestrated cultural transformation to a customer-driven public service.
> Guided the financial recovery of the City of Springfield, positioning the city to resume local control, following 4 years under a Finance Control Board imposed by the State of Massachusetts.
PARK NEW HAVEN - New Haven, CT
The New Haven Parking Authority serves the people of New Haven and its visitors with over 8,000 public parking spaces at numerous garages and surface parking lots in downtown New Haven and surrounding neighborhoods.
Acting Executive Director Jan 2013 - Present
Retained to undertake an organizational turn around; updated equipment and systems; transformed the organizational culture to become customer oriented. Manage a team of 4 directors, 130 employees, and operating budget of $19M.
* Revamped and put a new organizational structure in place including job descriptions and reporting requirements; reassigned employees to functional roles that capitalize on their strengths.
* Established a robust, ongoing Capital Improvement Plan for securing financing and replacing all existing building infrastructure systems.
* Instituted marketing campaign, "Free Parking is on the Menu," driving visitors to downtown restaurants.
CITY OF HARTFORD - Hartford, CT
The City of Hartford, state capital of Connecticut, is an 18-square mile city with 125,000 residents.
Chief Operating Officer Jun 2009 - Aug 2012
As an integral member of the Mayor's Cabinet, provided leadership and direction to the city's 15+ operating departments and associated support services, with 2,000+ staff and a budget of $554M. Served as City Procurement Agent. Other responsibilities included collective bargaining, special events coordination, neighborhood and media relations, tax policy, and state, federal and business community relations. Represented the city on various public and philanthropic boards and commissions - and at the state and federal levels.
* Orchestrated an organizational turnaround, achieving 3 years of consistent fund balance growth. Initiated a 5-Year Financial Forecast, revamped the Capital Improvement Program, and created a Grants department during and following the troubling trial and conviction of the city mayor on corruption charges.
* Spearheaded Citistat system implementation; initiated an inter-departmental, self-funding neighborhood anti-blight program; and created an arts-based Marketing and Cultural Affairs department.
* Oversaw an early retirement initiative, and obtained employee concessions with five unions. Implemented cost-reducing health benefit and pension initiatives; created the OPEB Trust.
* Intimately involved with attraction and selection of high-level talent into city positions.
Development Services Director Oct 2008 - Mar 2012
Recruited to direct the city's Planning, Housing, Licensing & Inspections, Grants, and Economic Development departments with 75+ staff and a budget of $8M. Served as Executive Director of the Hartford Redevelopment Authority; oversaw related permitting and regulatory boards and commissions. Managed the city's state and federally funded housing and community development programs.
* Orchestrated development of the city's Plan of Conservation and Development, "One City, One Plan," a 10-year community-based urban vision for citizen involvement.
* Oversaw the arts-based downtown "place making" strategy called iQuilt, improving streetscape.
* Implemented 3 Urban Renewal Plans; orchestrated refinancing of the Hilton Hotel ($5M), city financing of second-phase housing at the historic Colt factory ($5M); and HUD-funded development of Capewell factory site ($3M), avoiding property foreclosure.
* Secured $1M in Stimulus and local funding for Art-based Economic Development Program which created and supported 200 new jobs in the first three years.
CITY OF SPRINGFIELD (under Finance Control Board, State Department of Revenue) - Springfield, MA
From 2004 - 2008, the City of Springfield was under a Finance Control Board imposed by the state.
Chief Development Officer May 2006 - Oct 2008
Oversaw the Planning, Housing, Neighborhoods, Code Enforcement, Economic and Community Development departments of the City of Springfield, holding concurrent responsibility as Planning Director, Redevelopment Authority Administrator and Community Development Commissioner. Oversaw related permitting and regulatory boards and commission. Managed the city's state and federally funded programs, and the city's tax title and property disposition programs. Supervised 6 departments with 80+ staff and a budget of $8M.
* Spearheaded the city's Urban Land Institute community-based revitalization and development strategy.
* Guided the City of Springfield's financial recovery, positioning the city to resume local control in July 2009.
Deputy Executive Director (Deputy City Manager position) Dec 2004 - May 2006
Provided managerial and legal counsel for initial phases of financial recovery operations including labor relations, human resources and oversaw revenue operations including collection of $20M+ in back taxes. Managed the departmental assessments of police, fire, DPW, schools and finance operations. Responsible for complex real estate negotiations, media relations, and state, federal and business community relations.
SAN JOSE REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY - San Jose, CA
Senior Program Manager, Special Projects Oct 2001 - Sep 2004
Promoted through positions of increasing responsibility from Project Manager to Senior Project Manager, Program Manager, Senior Program Manager, and Senior Program Manager, Special Projects.
* Managed the Story & King Retail Revitalization Project: a $150M, 275,000 SF on 24 acres; anchors were Target, Bank of America, and CVS.
* Managed North San Pedro Project: on 9.3 acres, 14 development sites slated for 750 +/- market rate and affordable homes; retail and Safeway grocery; and $14M in public improvements.
* Project director for the San Jose Performance and Event Center Study; project managed the first market rate housing downtown development.
BOSTON REDEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY - Boston, MA
Project Director, Boston Convention and Exhibit Center Jan 1998 - Oct 2001
Managed development of the $700M, 1.9M square foot Convention and Exhibition Center and 1,200-room Hotel implementation. Activities included 68 acre site acquisition, 92 business relocations and demolition of 30+ structures, permitting and remediation. Responsible for property management (1M square foot of occupied space); state and local permitting; community relations; urban design; transportation and infrastructure oversight; and financial management.
CITY OF CHELSEA - Chelsea, MA
From 1991 - 1996, Chelsea MA was under a receivership imposed by state mandate.
Chief Legal Counsel / Asst. City Solicitor Sep 1993 - Jan 1998
Guided the City of Chelsea out of receivership into a City Manager form of government. Wrote the city's Code of Ordinances. Member of team that wrote and implemented a new City Charter.
School Construction Project Director Mar 97 - Jan 98
Managed implementation and close out of $116M construction and/or rehabilitation of seven schools.
Assistant Director of Operations and Personnel Jan 1993 - Sep 1993
Managed the privatization of the city's $4.2M per year Public Works Department. Responsible for Purchasing Department, Human Resources and Collective Bargaining.
Master of Public Administration (M.P.A.), Suffolk University - Boston, MA, 1994
1st in Class; GPA 4.0/4.0; Outstanding Graduate Award
JD, cum laude, Suffolk University Law School - Boston, MA, 1994
Member of the Massachusetts Bar since 1994
B.A. Political Science; B.A. Philosophy, University of Massachusetts - Amherst, MA, 1987
Lyndon B. Johnson Congressional Scholar Award, 1984
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Hartford Symphony Orchestra, Board of Directors, 2010 - 2012
Riverfront Recapture, Executive Committee, 2009 - 2012
Greater Hartford Arts Council, Executive Committee, 2008 - 2012
National Conference for Community and Justice, Board of Directors, 2007 - 2009
Springfield Technical Community College Assistance Corp, Board of Directors / Vice-Chair 2006 - 2008
Springfield Museums, Corporator, 2007 - 2010
Town of Wendell, MA, Clerk to the Board of Selectmen, 2006 - 2007
Framingham State College, Visiting Professor, 1994 - 1997
AWARDS AND HONORS
Audrey Nelson Award, National Development Council - City of Hartford, 2011
Municipal Leadership Award, Pioneer Institute - Finance Control Board, 2007