CHIEF TALENT MANAGEMENT & LEARNING OFFICER
Visionary, solutions-focused leader with combination of strategic thinking and business savvy well-honed during career. Record of success in leadership roles helping non-profits, technology startups, retailers, creative and entertainment companies to build culture, values, leaders and HR strategies that accelerate growth.
Strategic HR executive who drives success through people and culture. Respected for ability to define organizational culture and apply leadership development, talent management, and coaching to enliven, align, and engage the workforce. Genuine, confident, and passionate leader with the energy and enthusiasm to motivate people to accomplish results. Keen ability to understand, enlist, and engage "generation Y."
Corporate Values & Culture ~ Leadership Development ~Strategic HR ~ Global Expansion ~ Executive Coaching & Development ~ Organizational Effectiveness ~ Talent Management ~ Learning
> Talent Development - Built talent, assessment, and training functions and led global mobility team supporting Abercrombie & Fitch's rapid international growth from 1 to 40 stores in Europe and Asia.
> Executive Coaching - Skilled executive coach and team alignment expert with experience building corporate coaching cultures.
> Leadership Development - Expertise in developing curriculum and implementing a leadership development model and strategy for large and small companies.
> Revenue and Profit Growth - Led 26% YOY net profit growth as COO at design agency IM Creative, focusing primarily on executive level effectiveness, business strategy, cash flow, and growth solutions.
> Business Startup & Sustainability - Worked with CEO of manta.com to strategize and fuel tech startup's growth to 130 people. Crafted organizational values, and led strategic planning.
> Training / Facilitation / Teaching - Award-winning lecturer at The Ohio State University, Fisher School of Business. Seasoned master leadership trainer.
NY Creative Firm - Chief Operations Officer - Helped build the agency, growing annual revenues 325% during tenure, leading people, process and financial strategies, and serving as executive coach to the executive team.
Manta Media, Manta.com - Director Organizational Effectiveness & Executive Coach - Crafted and implemented the organization's core values; galvanized corporate culture through training, values creation and executive coaching; developed talent management and organizational effectiveness strategy for a growing, venture-backed dot com; and led recruiting efforts for the technical team, effectively growing the company from 70 to 130 employees.
Abercrombie & Fitch - Senior Director Global Talent & Training - Built leadership curriculum and training program to upgrade A&F's leadership pipeline. Served as master leadership trainer. Reduced management attrition from 150% to 60% across 1,400 stores through implementation of a leadership development model, strategy, and program. Led global mobility team to source and deploy over 200 internal managers for international assignments in Europe and Asia.
The Home Depot - Senior Manager, Talent Management - Led talent review process for Home Depot Supply Chain business through restructuring. Member of consulting team that analyzed the viability of $70M urban store concept in Manhattan; recruited and led store's team of 100+ associates.
Wynton Marsalis Enterprises & J@zz at Lincoln Center Orchestra International Tour Manager - Arranged and coordinated domestic and international tours for Wynton Marsalis and the J@zz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. Provided site and stage management across 20 countries and 40 U.S. States and 10+ tours.
EXPERIENCE AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
NY CREATIVE FIRM - Columbus, OH 2013 - Present
NY Creative Firm is an award-winning live event design and production company that has built its reputation by delivering creative, flawlessly executed events to clients such as UPS, Morgan Stanley, L'Oreal and Red Hat.
Chief Operations Officer
Serve as COO (one part CFO; one part CHRO; and one part Chief Strategist) for this high-growth firm, reporting directly to the two founding principals. Responsibilities focus primarily on cash, people and process development strategies.
* Grew annual revenues 325% during tenure, yielding 26% YOY net income growth in first year.
* Served as executive coach to founders and (tie-breaking) 3rd member of executive team.
* Led people, process and financial strategies, landing IM Creative on the Inc. 5000 "fastest growing companies" list for 2015.
* Led strategy for hiring, HR policies, financial and operations management enabling founders to focus on their areas of strength.
* Collaboratively built 5-year strategic plan with detailed goals around culture and values, communications processes, customer identification, technology enhancements and hiring.
MANTA MEDIA, MANTA.COM - Columbus, OH 2012 - 2013
Manta.com is an online small business service directory and search engine which helps small businesses profit, connect and grow through the largest online community dedicated entirely to small business.
Director Organizational Effectiveness & Executive Coach
Reported directly into CEO as part of 7-member Executive Team dedicated to providing strategic direction for this mid-market tech company. Responsibilities focused primarily on designing, implementing and executing people strategy for growth and development.
* Helped guide and build Manta's cultural strategy through the implementation of Manta Values, cultural training, leadership development, performance management, career pathing and organizational development.
* Designed and executed multilevel leadership curriculum for organization, focusing on shared values and language. Organization grew from 70-131 and attrition dropped 50% during tenure.
* Led strategic planning efforts, enabling the company to quickly flex and mobilize new business strategy and embrace Lean Startup/Agile development processes.
* Served as in-house executive coach to CEO and executive team.
* Designed and implemented interviewing and on-boarding strategy for technical recruits resulting in retention rates of over 90% post-hire.
ABERCROMBIE & FITCH - New Albany, OH 2008 - 2012
Abercrombie & Fitch Co. (A&F) is a global specialty retailer of casual apparel for men, women and children.
Senior Director Global Talent & Training, A&F Stores (2010 - 2012)
Director Stores Training (2008 - 2010)
Designed, delivered and monitored all training and talent development programs for 1,400 global stores. Guided 9-member team in the execution of all training programs for 80,000 store associates.
* Built leadership curriculum and training cascade program to upgrade A&F's leadership competencies throughout leadership pipeline.
* Managed workforce planning strategy enabling A&F to grow leaders organically and ultimately staff 75% of international management positions from within.
* Led global mobility team to source, screen, train, deploy, and repatriate over 200 internal A&F managers for international assignments in Europe and Asia.
* Designed, launched and managed biannual talent review process including succession planning, career pathing, gap analysis and assessment battery for over 1,000 A&F leaders.
* Built international on-boarding and leadership programs using Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions as foundational guide to over 500 A&F international managers.
* Served as executive coach to senior management as part of on-boarding and talent development processes.
THE HOME DEPOT - Atlanta, GA 2002 - 2008
The Home Depot is the world's largest home improvement specialty retailer with revenues exceeding $78B today.
Senior Manager, Talent Management (2007 - 2008)
Northern Division Learning Project Manager (2005 - 2007)
Led talent review process for Home Depot Supply Chain business through restructuring. Helped build talent strategy for VPs of growing business. Drove leadership acumen and customer service metrics through the design and management of key leadership conferences, forums and programs for the President of $6B Northern Division.
Flagship Store Operations Manager (2003 - 2005)
Store Leadership Program (2002 - 2003)
Graduated from 2 year executive training program into Store Manager of Home Depot Flagships in New York City. Launched, taught and built training and operations programs for new venture in Manhattan. Recruited and led store's team of 100+ associates for a $40M new urban store concept. Was accountable for P&L of Home Depot stores ranging from $40-85M as Operations Store Manager in NY and NH.
Lecturer, The Ohio State University, Fisher School of Business - Columbus, OH 2012 - Present
Provide instruction to students in the HR and Labor Relations Graduate Program in a 15-week course entitled "Business Excellence 2." The course is designed to build business acumen and integrative thinking skills for future Human Resources professionals. Course is case-based with insights drawn from thought leaders such as Michael Watkins, Daniel Pink, Roger Martin, and others. Recipient of "Outstanding Teaching Award," 2014
Co-Founder, Broome Street Media/Shortfest.com
New York, NY 2000 - 2001
Oscars Campaign MBA Intern, Miramax Films
New York, NY 1999 - 2000
Tour Manager, Wynton Marsalis Enterprises & J@zz Lincoln Center
New York, NY 1994 - 1998
M.B.A., Columbia Business School - New York, NY, 2000
Class Vice President, Teachers Assistant
B.A. Classical Civilization, Franklin & Marshall College - Lancaster, PA, 1993
Varsity Baseball, Dean's List
Certified Executive Coach (ICF), Columbia Coaching Certification Program, New York, NY, 2011
Culture in the Workplace Questionnaire, Gerte Hofstede Center / ITAP International, Newtown, PA, 2011
Leadership Through People Skills, Psychological Associates - St. Louis, MO, 2009
Situational Leadership II, Ken Blanchard Company - New York, NY, 2008
Personal DISCernment Inventory, Triaxia Co. - Atlanta GA, 2008