General Manager & Semiconductor Industry Executive
Transformation | Innovation | Growth
Consumer Electronics | IoT Emerging Markets
High-impact, customer-focused and performance-driven leader with deep understanding of critical business drivers in multiple markets and industries. Leverages global, multicultural experience to catalyze businesses by rapidly creating and executing a strategic plan for growth and transformation to jumpstart momentum. Highly successful in building relationships with key decision makers, seizing control of critical problem areas, and delivering on customer commitments. Creative and technically sophisticated with general managers business acumen. Fluent in multiple languages French, Czech and Slovak. Strong record of decisive leadership in organizations ranging from $100 million to $500 million, global in reach and scale, and leading cross-functional teams of 100+ employees. Significant achievements include:
TRANSFORMATION: Designed and executed a smart audio transformational growth strategy for the Mobile Consumer Division targeting growth opportunities in excess of $400 million over the next three years.
INNOVATION: Developed first industry always listening smart MEMS microphone which has been adopted by several major smartphone manufacturers.
GROWTH: Doubled revenues to $110M in three years. Formulated new strategic direction which halted a three-year revenue decline and repositioned the business for growth. Rebalanced new product investment aligning risk-reward expectations.
* P&L MANAGEMENT
* MERGER AND ACQUISITIONS
* NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT AND LAUNCH
* SALES AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
* ENGINEERING LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
* HIGH PERFORMING TEAMS
Vice President, Product Management, Mobile Consumer Division (2013 to 2016)
Recruited to lead the Business Unit and to enable the growth of audio technologies among mobile electronics, wearables and Internet of Things (IOT). Selected to this position for deep experience in semiconductors, product development lifecycles and product launches. P&L responsibility for $400+ million business.
* Designed and executed a smart audio transformational growth strategy for the Mobile Consumer Division targeting growth opportunities in excess of $400 million over the next three years. Mobile Consumer Division revenues exceeded $600M in 2015.
* Defined and executed a smart audio sensors product development roadmap. Developed the first industry always listening MEMS microphone which has been adopted by several major smartphone manufacturers. Company dollar content grew from $0.60 to $1.40 in high end smartphones with revenues exceeding $10M in 2016.
* Led the definition and development of the first DSP based smart MEMS microphone combining state of the art 28nm silicon and voice wake software. Product is highly anticipated by major smartphone OEMs in 2017.
* Successfully engaged industry leaders including Qualcomm Technologies, Mediatek and HiSilicon on new audio architectures supporting the business' vision and roadmap.
* Established and executed an organizational structure to support transition towards smart audio sensors.
Director and General Manager (2010 - 2013)
Promoted to lead the turnaround of the largest organization and investment within the Consumer Division with six direct reports and a staff of 80 with full P&L responsibility for a $110M million business.
* Doubled revenues to $110M in three years. Formulated new strategic direction which halted a three-year revenue decline and repositioned the business for growth. Rebalanced new product investment aligning risk-reward expectations.
Director and General Manager (2008 - 2010)
Global responsibility for all aspects of $130M P&L leading 60 people across multiple disciplines and geographies.
* Led company to become #1 worldwide in General Purpose Amplifiers (Databeans 2010). Expanded market share by 30% to a 16% share.
Director, Product Marketing (2005 - 2008)
Led a team of marketers for a $200 million MOSFET business that developed and executed marketing strategies to achieve revenue and profit goals. Collaborated with global sales and set direction to achieve sales objectives, identifying new business growth prospects, defining new product opportunities and product roadmaps, and building relationships with Market Maker accounts.
Engineering Director (2003 - 2005)
Directed development teams in defining and executing packaging and silicon roadmaps that met target applications trends and customer needs while augmenting the competitive positioning of the division and leveraging the existing product portfolio into new and evolving markets.
* Led a team of 25 engineers in the definition and execution of silicon and packaging roadmaps for multiple businesses within the division and in close collaboration with manufacturing and operations. Led the introduction of the smallest discrete SOT9XX packages.
* Established and subsequently managed the divisions engineering organizations in China, including establishing a new product characterization laboratory.
* Initiated and negotiated strategic alliance with a Japanese competitor that enabled the division to access leading edge discrete packaging.
Business Development and Global Account Management (2000 - 2003)
Managed day-to-day operations and built sales revenues for full line of companys business in Europe.
* Tripled revenues in two key wireless accounts from $4M to $13M in 18 months through a strategic partnership and relationship building with decision makers.
* Led commercial and final price negotiations for multi-million dollar accounts including the establishment of worldwide contracts.
* Developed profitable relationships with existing and new customers. Traveled extensively through Eastern Europe and developed a comprehensive network of leading business contacts.
* Increased distribution channel sales by $15M in the first year through strategic realignment of sales activities within the major distribution channels of the region.
Manufacturing Manager (1996 - 2000)
Selected to lead the introduction and use of lean manufacturing and modern quality systems in Motorolas startup operations (raw wafers, Analog Bipolar fab, CMOS fab and Assembly & Test) in Central Europe.
* Key member in the startup of a world-class Analog Bipolar and CMOS manufacturing facilities in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Established a methodology for technology transfers that resulted in first pass on time qualification with a 30-40% reduction in cycle time (12 months from start to qualification). Won General Managers Award in recognition of accomplishments.
* Assisted companys world-class manufacturing locations in Central and Eastern Europe (raw wafer manufacturing, Analog Bipolar Fabrication, CMOS Fabrication and Assembly & Test) in the introduction and use of modern Quality Systems. All locations awarded LRQA ISO/QS9000 certificates in a typical 12-14 month timeframe.
* Supported the development of a world-class Reliability Testing and Failure Analysis laboratory in the Czech Republic to serve all manufacturing locations in Europe.
* Introduced and institutionalized the use of statistical techniques including Statistical Process Control (SPC), Design of Experiments (DOE), Measurement System Analysis (MSA), Process Average Testing (PAT) and Statistical Bin Analysis (SBA) that resulted in waste reduction of $3M per year and improved manufacturing performance.
MSE in Microelectronics and Automated Control Systems (EEA)
MBA in Marketing and Corporate Finance
English " French " Czech " Slovak