PROVEN SENIOR EXECUTIVE - CONSUMER PACKAGED GOODS
Driving performance through strategy, execution, and leadership
Accomplished Senior Leader possessing a powerful combination of classic brand management experience (Campbell Soup, P&G) and entrepreneurial marketing services success (Eastern Research Services, Kepner-Tregoe, SymphonyIRI Group).
Skilled at re-engineering and growing brands for increased revenue, margin and EBITDA through improved strategy and execution, new products, sustainable operations improvements, and astute financial management.
VALUE OFFERED / SELECTED ACCOMPLISHMENTS
* Business Turnaround - Led turnaround of private equity-backed Eastern Research Services. Grew revenue 62%, expanded margin 3 points and achieved $1.1M swing in EBITDA in first 12 months. Recruited new leadership team, launched revenue diversification initiatives, transferred production to lower cost countries, and reduced SG&A 25%.
* Global Repositioning - Re-built Kepner-Tregoe's Global Consumer Practice. United global team behind new go-to-market strategy; launched new solutions; and led teams to execute on four continents. Increased international revenue 10% in year one. Led wide-ranging strategic and operational restructuring of company as key "change agent" on 7-person Executive Committee. EBITDA grew from flat in 2009 to $3M in 2010.
* Business Transformation - Transformed SymphonyIRI's In-Store Solutions Group from low-value audit supplier to high-value provider of retail effectiveness solutions, reversing multi-year revenue decline. Grew revenue 9% over 24 months. Expanded margin 4 points by off shoring data processing and lowering collection costs through technology.
* Market Share and Revenue Growth - Grew market share in highly competitive categories and led many revenue, margin and profit enhancing initiatives for such iconic brands as Tide detergent, Campbell's Soups and Prego.
EXPERIENCE AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
EASTERN RESEARCH SERVICES, Philadelphia, PA
2010 - 2012
$10M, 20-year old, private equity-sponsored call center operation, specializing in bi-lingual English/Spanish services, with more than 600 employees in Florida, Texas, Pennsylvania, Mexico and Guatemala.
Chief Executive Officer
Recruited by Board of Directors to replace founder and lead urgent turnaround of this financially troubled company. Company was in forbearance, revenue was down 50% and EBITDA had swung ($2.7M) versus prior year.
* Grew revenue 62%, expanded margin 3 points and achieved $1.1M swing in EBITDA in year one. Key drivers of turnaround were leveraging firm's differentiated Spanish language capabilities, winning new clients, significantly expanding offshore production (from 10% to 35%) and entering high-margin segments.
* Recruited new leadership team to execute turnaround, while also reducing salary expense. Created and implemented many new operating processes and upgraded all call centers, while reducing operating and telecom expenses. Reduced SG&A 25%. Instituted KPIs and pay for performance compensation plans for every employee.
* Implemented financial controls and sales forecasting process to increase focus on key business drivers. Introduced monthly investor reporting package and performance scorecards. Initiated all-employee "Town Hall" meetings. Significantly increased the amount and quality of analytics and strategic dialogue at quarterly Board meetings.
* Virtualized and modernized IT infrastructure, securing nearly 100% financing for equipment. New infrastructure dramatically increased stability, redundancy and functionality, while reducing maintenance time and costs.
* Reduced debt $1.6M and operated for 14 months without a line of credit by carefully managing receivables and payables, converting fixed expenses to variable, switching to lower cost vendors and using bridge financing.
* Positioned company for sale by end of 2010. Appointed by Board in March 2012 to lead orderly wind down.
KEPNER-TREGOE, INC. (KT), Princeton, NJ
2007 - 2009
$40M, 50-year old global operations improvement consulting and training firm. KT improves performance by transferring its proven problem solving, decision making, strategy development and project execution methods to individuals and teams.
Partner & Global Consumer Practice Leader
Recruited to rebuild and lead worldwide Consumer Practice. Managed teams in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Member of KT's 7-person Executive Leadership Team, which oversaw the firm's overall strategy, operations and P&L.
* Repositioned Global Consumer Practice. Initiated and completed strategy formulation process, resulting in new "Brilliant Execution" value proposition - "The right things, done well."
* Developed and launched new lead application and training workshops. Secured promising alliance partnership to bring new strategy to life and provide global team with new, relevant products to sell.
* Consolidated four loosely-aligned regions into unified global practice, leveraging new strategy, common operating processes, technology, new employee recognition programs and frequent communication.
* Grew international revenue 10% in year one, despite global recession and rapid decline in consulting spending.
* Initiated company-wide, top-to-bottom restructuring to restore profitability. Dramatically reduced KT's global footprint; replaced many non-core functions with outsourced services. EBITDA grew from flat (2009) to $3M (2010).
SYMPHONYIRI GROUP, Chicago, IL
2000 - 2007
$800M private equity-sponsored provider of market information, software, analytics and consulting services to consumer packages goods, healthcare companies and retailers worldwide.
Senior Vice President, Sales & Marketing - In-Store Solutions Group (2006 - 2007)
Selected to turnaround and lead all commercial functions for $20M division which provides in-store marketing solutions in different retail channels to clients nationwide.
* Repositioned business from low-value audit supplier to high-value provider of retail effectiveness solutions, expanding capabilities to include shelf optimization, merchandising effectiveness and tools for measuring and significantly improving ROI of in-store marketing spending.
* Reversed multi-year revenue decline. Revenue grew 9% over 24 months. Expanded margin 4 points by off shoring data processing and lowering data collection costs through increased use of technology.
Senior Vice President, Sales & Client Service - Healthcare Practice (2002 - 2006)
Senior Vice President / Vice President - Sales & Client Service (2000 - 2002)
Chosen to launch new Rx services division to leverage SymphonyIRI's expertise in CPG consumer insights to meet growing demand for patient insights in pharma sector. Previously, appointed lead executive for major healthcare clients. Oversaw all aspects of client partnerships including revenue, profit, staffing, and client satisfaction. Managed 27 professionals.
* Exceeded revenue goals in 2004 (+19%) and 2005 (+3%) by better penetrating existing clients and winning new business in a mature market.
* Secured 100% client contract renewals by rigorously implementing a new client engagement model across all clients, securing C-level client endorsement, and leading to increased client satisfaction.
* Increased gross margin 6 points by offshoring 25% of professional staff to new global operations center in India, while maintaining client satisfaction.
* Developed and launched suite of patient insight and survey products. Forged strategic partnerships with well-known Rx research suppliers to enhance credibility. Led all sales and marketing efforts. Achieved $1.3M in first year.
CAMPBELL SOUP COMPANY, Camden, NJ
1995 - 2000
Senior Brand Manager - Italian Sauces (1997 - 2000)
Senior Brand Manager - Cooking Soups (1996 - 1997)
Brand Manager - Eating Soups (1995 - 1996)
Led brand strategy, annual business plans, and P&L for $300M Italian Sauces portfolio with $80M marketing budget and dedicated cross-functional leadership team. Initially recruited to manage flagship Red & White label Eating Soups, with annual sales of $800M and $200M marketing budget. Promoted after one year to run Cooking Soups franchise with annual sales of $500M and $125M marketing budget.
* Reversed six-year market share slide on Prego pasta sauce, increasing revenue $30M and growing market share three straight years. Key action was to change strategy from proliferating small line extensions to single-minded focus on large, base business.
* Repositioned Prego from "Thicker than Ragu" to more persuasive "More Flavor in Every Bite" and introduced innovative, lightweight plastic packaging and a highly successful line of convenient, ready-to-eat meal solutions.
PROCTER & GAMBLE, Cincinnati, OH
1991 - 1995
Assistant Brand Manager, Brand Assistant and Intern, Tide Laundry Detergent
COLUMBIA BUSINESS SCHOOL - COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, New York, NY
MBA, Marketing & Finance
Dean's List; Elected Chairman, Japan Business Trip
CLARK UNIVERSITY, Worcester, MA
B.A., Economics, cum laude
Earned All University Honors; Elected Editor in Chief, The Scarlet student newspaper; Elected Student Government Representative; Varsity Soccer
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP
Co-Chair - Private Equity Subgroup, Greater Philadelphia Senior Executive Group (GPSEG)
Lead Fundraiser - Clark University Class of 1986, since 2003
Co-Leader - Columbia Business School 20th Reunion Committee
Gift Chair - Clark University 25th Reunion
Select Speaking Engagements:
Panelist, "CIO, CEO, CFO: Friends or Foes?" - Society for Information Management Conference
Presented "Leadership in Turnarounds" - Greater Philadelphia Senior Executive Group
Guest Speaker, "What is a Leader?" - Rowan University Rohrer School of Business
Keynote Speaker - Clark University 25th Reunion
Member - CEO Roundtable, Greater Philadelphia Senior Executive Group (GPSEG)
Member - Corporate Directors Group (CDG)
Member - Association for Corporate Growth (ACG)
Member - Philadelphia Society of People and Strategy (PSPS)
Admissions Interviewer - Columbia Business School and Clark University
Youth Soccer Coach - Cherry Hill Football Club and Voorhees Soccer Association, since 1999