Chattanooga, TN 312.391.1352 email@example.com
Driving organizational transformations, revenue growth, and market share gains for global manufacturing companies.
TRANSFORMATION | INNOVATION | HIGH GROWTH
VICE PRESIDENT/GENERAL MANAGER | PRESIDENT
Strategic-minded industrial manufacturing executive and growth driver – Sought-after to steer global public/private equity manufacturing organizations through operational transformations, turn around struggling performance, and drive the integration of acquisitions into Fortune 500 global corporations, creating high-growth businesses that increase enterprise value to stakeholders and customers.
Customer-centric revenue driver – Leveraging a customer-back focus, placing the needs of the customer at the forefront of all business activities to drive value, build brand loyalty, and increase market share.
Efficiency and performance improvement leader – Utilizing Lean methodologies and 80/20 discipline to energize business performance, streamline operations, and develop a continuous improvement culture.
SUCCESS BY THE NUMBERS
* Increased EBITDA from -2.8% to 16.8%
* 9% Above Earning Plan
* 16% Working Capital Decrease
* $20M Revenue Growth
* 37% Product Line Growth in 3 Years
* 15% Market Share Increase
* 18%+ Profit Margin Increase
* 39% NPVI Growth
THE MARMON GROUP
* 25% SG&A Cost Reductions
* 30% International Revenue Growth
* Multisite Operations Leadership
* P&L Accountability
* Business Development
* Multimillion-Dollar Budgets
* Strategic Planning & Execution
* M&As | Integrations
* Growth Planning
* Customer-Back Focus
* Financial Management
* Lean Manufacturing
* Continuous Improvement
* Transformational Change Management
* 80/20 Pareto Principles
* Market Expansion
* Team Building & Motivation
INDUSTRIAL PHYSICS (Union Park Capital PE holding) * 2020
A global leader in package and product integrity testing equipment, generating $80M in annual sales.
Division President, Flexible Packaging & Material Testing
Recruited to support the company’s mission of transforming acquired businesses into market-focused divisions and lead all daily business functions of 2 divisions across operations, engineering, sales/marketing, finance, product management, and HR with full P&L responsibility. Directed a team of 7 direct reports and 60 employees.
* Led the reorganization of 4 global acquired businesses into the Material Testing and the Flexible Packaging divisions with sales of $22M, supporting aerospace, automotive, packaging, paper, plastic film, corrugated, and industrial manufacturing industries.
=> Drove the integration of teams and operational systems, including finance, supply chain, sales, production, etc., establishing best practices and creating cohesiveness across the divisions.
* Rapidly implemented operational strategies to ensure the safety of employees and ongoing business continuity to address the COVID pandemic within 1 month of hire.
=> Divisions were established with no missed shipments attributed to COVID and no COVID impact to employees.
* Implemented Lean practices, led a strict cost-cutting effort, and leveraged the 80/20 principle that focused on high-volume customers and high-margin products to maintain profitability during the pandemic.
=> Increased the 2020 full-year EBITDA to 16.8% in 10 months, reversing a loss of -2.5% for the Material Testing business.
=> Surpassed Flexible Packaging’s 2020 annual earning plan by 9%, despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
* Drove a 16% reduction in working capital for Material Testing by aggressively managing outstanding receivables, disciplined inventory management, and strategic sourcing initiatives.
* Reduced a past due backlog of products by 19.7% in 5 months for Flexible Packaging following the closure of a plant in the Netherlands.
=> Directed production to focus on the 20% of key customers and revenue-producing products to bolster sales and decrease the backlog.
=> Implemented Lean principles and improved workflows to drive efficiencies and increase productivity.
EMERSON (Acquired from Textron in 2018) (NYSE: EMR) 2015 – 2019
A $7B industrial holding company with 150 businesses across 11 sectors.
Vice President/General Manager, Emerson Utility Products
Selected to integrate 3 businesses and all departments into 1 organization and drive organic and inorganic growth. Oversaw operations, engineering, sales/marketing, finance, product management, and HR and held full P&L accountability for the integrated $100M manufacturing organization, producing capital equipment, tools, and test, measurement, and safety devices for the electric utility industry. Developed and led a team of 7 direct reports and 120 employees.
* Grew revenues $20M by realigning sales from a manufacturer’s representative structure to a direct salesforce. Implemented the 80/20 principle that focused on owning relationships with the top utility companies and driving new product innovation.
* Developed and led a strategic business plan that drove 37% revenue growth for the HDE test, measure, and safety device product line in 3 years, through a North American and European expansion and adjacent market penetration.
=> Evaluated the feasibility of expanding into the European market and devised a market strategy targeting the leading utility companies in 4 key European countries.
=> Created a new revenue stream by developing a product line leveraging proprietary voltage detection technology, targeting first responders. Solicited key market influencers, including the NYFD and FEMA, to build awareness of the product line and gain valuable feedback for product modifications.
* Earned a 39%, 3-year new product vitality index rating, resulting from a reinvigorated, customer-back, new product development program that took a VOC approach to address the needs of the customer throughout the sales lifecycle.
=> Built team of product managers and engineers to drive innovation into the capital equipment product pipeline, gaining direct, in-the-field understanding of challenges and pain points of the equipment.
=> Established a 5-year new product development pipeline that addressed customer issues and market and technology trends and delivered differentiated innovation.
=> New products gained 15% market share with the top customers and delivered 40% of overall revenue with an average +18% higher margins over the legacy line of products.
* Reduced total recordable incident rate from 7.0 to 0.8 in 24 months through the introduction of a safety culture throughout the business. Established a safety committee, safety audits, safety events, and an environment of accountability.
* Successfully led the sale of one of the businesses, preparing data, making investor presentations, etc.
THE MARMON GROUP (A Berkshire Hathaway Company) (NYSE: BRK) * 2008 – 2014
A $8B industrial holding company with 150 businesses across 11 sectors.
Sector President, Marmon Industrial Products (2012 – 2014)
Promoted to lead a team of 12 direct reports and hold P&L accountability for a $400M global group of 14 industrial product manufacturing companies with 1,200 employees in the fastener, safety, tubing/fittings, and metal fabrication market. Oversaw all businesses and drove the sector’s 80/20 market/customer focus strategy, resulting in significant revenue increases.
* Grew sector revenue from $335M to $400M and delivered an 8%, 28-month revenue compound annual growth rate through the implementation of Lean principles and the 80/20 market-/customer-focused approach that delivered on the needs of the customer.
* Decreased working capital from 23% to 18% of sales through disciplined inventory management and strategic sourcing.
* Spearheaded an acquisition of a $10M strategic bolt-on company in the safety products group. Researched the acquisition by reviewing revenue, margins, brand recognition, etc. Integrated the business and met or exceeded all projections.
President, Nylok, LLC (2009 – 2011)
Advanced to this senior executive role to drive the strategic vision and hold P&L accountability for a $50M global fastener processor acquisition, supplying multinational OEMs within the automotive, aerospace, electronics, agriculture, and general distribution industries. Oversaw 4 North American operations while managing an extensive licensee network throughout Europe, Asia, and South America. Selected to lead the transition of the business into the Marmon organization and profitably grow sales.
* Restructured sales from a regional sales approach into an industry-focused sales strategy, upgrading the sales team to sales technicians and industry SMEs to provide solutions to customers, deliver exceptional value, and curtail the competition.
=> Expertise of the team resulted in Nylok products being included in many customer specifications, essentially locking out competition.
=> Team delivered 3 consecutive years of record sales, propelling revenue from $38M to $50M, with a 30% increase in international sales in 24 months and 15% increase in total gross margins.
* Doubled operating income as a % of sales by implementing Lean manufacturing and 80/20 principles and tools.
* Decreased overhead expenses from 29.7% to 20.3% through organization-wide simplification efforts, streamlining operations, and reducing costly complexity.
Vice President/CFO, Marmon Retail Services and Restaurant Equipment Sectors (2008 – 2009)
Reported to the presidents of Marmon Retail Services and Marmon Restaurant Equipment sectors and was responsible for all finance and control of the sectors. Led the development and implementation of long-term strategic growth plans, created budget and forecasts, evaluated capital investments and acquisition targets, and tracked aggressive growth and cost-reduction programs. Hired, coached, and led a team of 8 direct reports and 22 employees.
DOVER CORPORATION (NYSE: DOV) * 2002 – 2007
Diversified global manufacturer and solutions provider, generating $7B in annual sales.
Business Unit Manager, Tipper Tie Inc.
Led daily operations and held full P&L responsibility for the $40M capital equipment and service parts business unit of a $120M manufacturer of packaging and food processing machinery and equipment. Directed a team of 6 direct reports and 60 employees.
* Turned around struggling, unfocused Machine and Service Parts business units by creating an 80/20, customer-focused, kaizen culture to drive operational improvements and focused sales team on high-revenue, high-profit customers, markets, products, etc.
=> Total revenue grew 30%, operating income quadrupled, and machine warranty rate dropped 46%.
=> Drove a 12% compound annual growth rate for the Machine unit through key account penetration.
ITW (NYSE: ITW) * 1993 – 2002
Controller, Product Manager, Business Development Manager, Miller Electric
Drove revenue growth with new product introductions by leveraging the strong Miller distributor network. Conducted thorough market research with a focus on the VOC to pinpoint revenue-driving products.
* Captured $2.2M in new revenue and a 15% increase in category gross margins in the first 18 months with the introduction of a patented MIG welding gun valued for its ease of use and time savings.
Additional positions within ITW, including Business Integration Manager, Smith Equipment and Cost Accountant, Buildex.
Master of Business Administration | LOYOLA UNIVERSITY, Chicago, IL
Bachelor of Arts in Marketing and Finance | AUGUSTANA COLLEGE, Rock Island, IL