CEO | President | COO
International Consumer Products and Services Companies
Strategy Design & Execution
Global Operations, Manufacturing and Sourcing
Sales & Marketing
> Innovative Senior Leader experienced at transforming organizations into highly efficient, profitable world-class companies. Long-term C-Level career associated with Private Equity firm Trivest Partners, LP. Established record of success building businesses and turning around under performing companies, as well as providing strategic leadership through multiple sales processes.
> Unique combination of sales and marketing, operations and strategy leadership roles. Shrewd decision maker who identifies the critical issues challenging a business, uncovers core strengths and implements the action plans that improve sales performance, maximize organizations opportunities in the global market place and drive global teams to new levels of performance and productivity.
> Set up and managed best in class global sourcing, manufacturing and logistics operations including concurrent oversight of 50+ factories and facilities across North America, Asia, Europe and Central America.
Building Teams and Creating the Strategies that Drive Companies to New Levels of Performance and Profitability
Capabilities and Skills
* Turnaround, Restructure and Integration
* Infrastructure Build-Up / Transformation
* Process Improvement and Best Practices
* New Product Development / Market Expansion
* Team Building, Development and Mentoring
* P&L Control / Capitalizations and Refinancing
* Global Supply Chain Management / Distribution
* Lean, Kaizen, JIT Methodologies
* Global New Business Development
* Organic & Acquisitive Growth / Exit Maximizing Strategies
* M&As / Pre- & Post-sale Activities / Due Diligence
* Margin Growth / Improved EBITDA
A Career Building the Global Infrastructures, Resources and Teams that Drive Revenue Growth
GLOBAL WARRANTY GROUP, St. James, NY (affiliated with Trivest Partners) 2012 Present
Global Warranty is the leading developer, marketer and administrator of Product Warranty (OEM) and Extended Service Contract Programs (ESC) serving the wireless channel.
President Warranty Edge, a division of Global Warranty Group
Currently developing and implementing strategy and infrastructure to build a new wholesale and direct-to-consumer business targeting new markets, adding to Globals existing wireless distribution and warranty product lines. Markets targeted include retail and ecommerce. With Ownerships support, accepted role on interim basis pending identification of the next opportunity to further my career.
TWIN-STAR INTERNATIONAL, Delray Beach, FL (a Trivest Partners Company) 2009 2012
Fireplace, bath vanity and heating products company; ~$250M in annual revenues
Chief Operating Officer
Charged with reducing costs and developing and implementing strategies and infrastructure that expanded product line/supply chain and supported companys accelerated 150% growth rate. Directed companys activities in 58 factories and facilities worldwide, with complete management responsibility for 70% of companys employees. Managed global supply chain, sourcing, manufacturing, distribution and Asian operations. This included product development, engineering, design, quality and logistics.
* Provided operational support that grew annual company revenues from $99M to $250M.
* Initiated and developed manufacturing footprint in Vietnam, reducing product cost 7%.
* Established the solid on-the-ground resources and infrastructure in Asia that expanded and supported global growth of Twin-Star and resulted in the successful transition of COO position to China in 2012.
* Tripled overall manufacturing capacity to support accelerated revenue growth.
Operational Efficiencies / Cost Reductions
* Saved $3.3M annually by reengineering supply chain.
* Exceeded 2011 operating plan by 21%.
* Improved shipping fill rate from 84% to 99%.
* Reduced product defective rate from 5%+ to best in class .5%.
* Slashed inventory investment; increased turns from 1.3 to 4+ annually by integrating new forecasting process.
* Reduced operating expenses 26% as a percentage of sales.
* Decreased China product costs 5%-6% on average despite strong inflationary pressures.
Organizational Leadership / Development
* Restructured organization for greater operational efficiencies and management intensity.
* Created senior QC/QA director position to drive best in class quality system and processes.
* Recruited senior level talent including China VP of Operations, two Divisional Directors and three Managers.
* Upgraded China IT office that drove greater operational efficiencies.
* Incorporated Lean by creating process improvement team and implementing training/mentoring program.
CORVEST COMPANY, LLC, Tampa, FL (a Trivest Partners Company) 2005 2008
Promotional product company; ~$120M in annual revenues
President / CEO
Hired to restructure, integrate and lead three companies (Adva-Lite, Toppers and Its All Greek To Me) in preparation for sales process for private equity group. Reengineered corporate reporting process, strategic planning process and new product development process. Created and launched new global sourcing strategy.
* Increased manufacturing capacity, yielding 156% annualized ROI; decreased variable production costs 37%.
* Built new global supply chain, resulting in $2.5M in annualized cost reductions.
* Reorganized labor-intensive manufacturing, increasing margins 20%.
* Built robust customer service department; recipient of industry Best in Class awards.
* Saved $1.8M annually by flattening organization and eliminating redundant costs.
* Built dedicated marketing and new product development team that created record number of successful new products.
* Improved shipping fill rate from 78% to 98%+.
* Saved $1.2M annually by consolidating back office operations.
WELLINGTON CORDAGE, Madison, GA (Multiple PE Firm Ownership) 2004 2005
Wellington Cordage was the world leader in cordage manufacturing and distribution, a $220M business.
Chairman / CEO
Led post-bankruptcy recapitalization and reorganization of company. Rebuilt senior management team impacted by prior financial fraud. Refocused business strategy on core competencies, streamlined SKUs and expanded customer base. Implemented cohesive brand, POS and sales strategies that significantly grew retail competitiveness. Positioned company for strategic merger.
* Negotiated Asian JV and opened Mexican manufacturing facility that reduced manufacturing costs by 40%.
* Grew consumer sales 17% year over year.
* Doubled gross profit margins from 11% to 22%.
* Lowered break-even point by $27M.
* Exceeded operating sales plan by 10%, operating income by 27% and cash flow by 56%.
* Reduced net inventory by more than 50% and improved DSO by 60%.
* Accelerated launch of new products from 6 months to 90 days concept to commercialization.
* Implemented visual POS strategy across Lowes and Home Depot nationwide resulting in double digit growth.
* Restructured sales organization; eliminated two layers of management and improved customer service.
* Led implementation of Lean, Kaizen and JIT methodologies.
* Exited unprofitable business; rationalized product assortment and eliminated nonperforming skus.
AERO PRODUCTS INTERNATIONAL, INC., Wauconda, IL (a Trivest Partners Company) 1997 2004
Aero Products was a privately-held manufacturer of premium, air filled products designed for both indoor and outdoor use under the AeroBedŽ and AeroŽ Sport brand names.
President / CEO
Recruited by shareholders to restructure and build underperforming company from the ground up. Developed and implemented strategic plan that exploited patented technology, expanded product line (internal pump system) and opened new channels of distribution into global markets and mass retailers that included Walmart, Target and Costco, etc. Assembled top-performing management team. Designed and launched aggressive direct response sales and marketing campaign. Streamlined manufacturing operations to achieve significant profit margins.
* Grew revenues from $5.6M to $110M in 5 years.
* Turned around a $1.3M operating loss to $32M in EBITDA.
* Achieved record-setting 50%+ gross profit margins, an industry first.
* Attained market leadership within 3 years with award-winning marketing strategy.
* Improved fill rate from 60% to Best in Class 99%.
* Reduced inventory investment 60% by leading product team in developing model that improved manufacturing efficiencies, reduced cycle time and allowed for JIT inventory planning.
* Expanded distribution into Europe, Japan and South America.
* Implemented a system of continuous improvement with quarterly metric accountability.
* Led sale of company (2003), delivering 228% IRR to shareholders.
* Awarded Best Exit of the Year by Buyouts Magazine.
Prior roles include Regina Company: Vice-President of Special Markets and International Sales, National Accounts Manager and Territory Sales Rep.; and Black & Decker Corporation: New England Area Sales Manager/ Sales Rep.
BA, Business Economics, State University of New York (SUNY), Oneonta, NY, 1982
Executive Management Program, Finance Concentration, Lake Forest College, IL two year program, 2003
Industry Leadership and Board Affiliations
Portfolio Consultant Wise Food Storage, a Trivest Partners LP portfolio company, 2013 Present
Member, International Housewares Manufacturers Association (IHMA), 1997 2005
Speaker, Managing Multiple Channels of Distribution, IHMA Conference, 2002
Speaker, Direct Response TV Campaign & Retail Expansion: Aero Products, Direct Marketing Association event
Board Director/Member, Nominating Committee, Directed Electronics, Inc., a publicly-held company, 2005-2008
Additional Board Directorships: Twin-Star International, Wellington Cordage and Aero Products International, Inc.