SENIOR EXECUTIVE | PRESIDENT | CEO | BOARD DIRECTOR
Vision. Strategy. Innovation.
Solutions oriented, entrepreneurial business executive with a record of accomplishment operating earlier-stage medical technology companies. Broad expertise establishing strategic partnerships, creating new business opportunities, and leading product innovation and marketing strategy. Successful at recruiting, retaining and developing highly talented teams.
Outstanding command and understanding of technology architecture with the ability to drive vision and strategy for execution, development, and commercialization. Deep experience with all functional groups, capital raising, and creating shareholder value.
* Executive Management and Leadership
* Organizational Change Leadership
* Business Development and Strategic Partnerships
* Product Development and Commercialization Strategy
* Manufacturing and Operations Management
* Finance and Shareholder Value Creation
ANGIOSLIDE INC. - Salt Lake City, UT and Netanya, Israel 2015 to March 2016
President and CEO
Recruited to lead a medical device company with novel technology solving complex disease states in the interventional cardiology and peripheral vascular space. Positioned the company for global commercialization and strategic acquisition. Oversaw all business functions including finance, new product development, manufacturing, and business development activities. Managed all key talent and functional leadership.
* Negotiations with strategic acquirer from Asia are in process.
* Led and developed strategy for product commercialization in the US, Japan, China, and India.
* Built outstanding capabilities to interact with customers and product management teams to manufacture cost efficient technologies.
* Engaged major strategic large-cap companies in distribution and acquisition discussions.
* Led and implemented all major process improvements to increase the operational efficiency.
* Negotiated multiple license deals for US and Japanese distribution and manufacturing rights.
FIXES 4 KIDS, INC. - San Francisco, CA 2009 to 2014
Founder | President and CEO | Board Director
Founded the company to develop and commercialize game-changing technology for the pediatric orthopedic surgical space (surgical equipment and disposables). Managed all financing activities and shareholder relations. Led negotiations with large strategic corporate partners for key strategic business development deals. Developed and implemented the company's marketing and business development strategies.
* Led company's negotiations with strategic acquirers; still in process.
* Selected and assembled a highly experienced Board of Directors and a World-Class Scientific Advisory Board.
* Hired, assembled, and managed operational teams in the Silicon Valley, CA and in Wahpeton, ND.
* Commercialized the first of its kind pediatric fracture products in 2013.
* Raised Series A and B capital to fund operations, R&D, and product development and commercial activities.
* Led multiple regulatory approvals of device and disposables with the FDA and European CE Mark (biocompatibility, verification and validation testing, and human use clinical studies).
* Implemented the company's patent strategy. Holder of 4 patents; 1 pending.
OUROBOROS MEDICAL, INC. - San Francisco Bay Area, CA 2008 to 2012
President and CEO | Board Director
Recruited to lead a medical device company specializing in minimally invasive orthopaedic spine and trauma technologies. Secured strong business development relationships with major corporate acquirers, leading to strategic distribution and investment deals. Drove decisions regarding product development and product viability in the market with customer physicians and large corporations.
* Positioned company for strategic acquisition in 2014; the company continues acquisition discussions today.
* Raised Series A and Series B capital for commercial efforts during 2008 to 2010 economic downturn.
* Negotiated business deal to acquire the rights to a novel Ortho-biologic for surgical applications.)
* Developed and led regulatory strategy to obtain CE Europe approval; developed and directed strategy for product commercialization in Europe.
* Relocated the company from San Diego to the Silicon Valley; developed a novel technology platform for minimally invasive surgery.
* Holder of 1 patent; 1 pending.
BIOMERIX CORPORATION - Fremont, CA 2008 to 2009
General Manager | Executive Vice President
Recruited to manage the operations of a well-funded early-stage medical device company applying polymer technology in interventional neurology, orthopaedic and general surgery applications. Managed R&D, manufacturing, marketing, and business development.
* Reorganized the company into three operating units; Neuro, Spine, and General Surgery divisions.
* Led the commercial efforts for product commercialization in China and Europe.
* Led company re-location and re-structuring; built-out organization to 45 persons.
* Implemented operational process improvements to increase efficiencies and lower COGS.
* Drove series B financing with strategic investment from J&J; $100 million post-money valuation.
* Hired all key talent; transitioned in new leadership; departed for CEO role.
DE NOVO VENTURES - Menlo Park, CA 2004 to 2007
Principal | Director of Business Development
Joined one of the top Venture Capital firms in Silicon Valley. Sourced, and worked with General Partners to close strategic investment deals out of De Novo II fund of $250 million. Developed and implemented product commercialization plans with portfolio CEOs.
* Active board observer roles with the fund's portfolio companies.
* Developed investment criteria, proposals, term sheets and legal documents for portfolio investments.
* Supported all internal investment activities, and worked to build De Novo brand.
* Worked on PPM for DNV III $300 million fund.
GUIDANT CORPORATION - Indianapolis, IN 1994 to 2004
Senior Manager, New Business Development, Vascular Intervention (2002 to 2004)
Manager, US Corporate Finance (2001 to 2002)
US Sales, Cardiac Rhythm Management (1994 to 2001)
Built a successful sales career in New York City with a reputation for managing territory built on trust, integrity and customer focus. Promoted to Manager of US Corporate Finance and Senior Manager of New Business Development in the Vascular Intervention division.
* Member of the business development leadership team that led the $39B M&A deal, breaking up Guidant, acquired by Boston Scientific and Abbot Labs in 2005/2006.
* Co-Led the Evalve (Percutaneous Mitral Valve) Series B investment, acquired by Abbott (Ex-Guidant VI) for more than $450 million.
* Recognized as one of the 8 top managers in the company, receiving the highest management award, "The Circle of Champions Award."
* Restructured finance division with direct P&L impact; implementing an innovative organizational structure which increased operating capital by more than $100 million (Wall Street Analyst recognition).
* Nominated for the company's highest sales recognition award, the "Statesman Award;" ranked top 5% out of 400 personnel in the entire US CRM sales force for 4 consecutive years.
* Awarded "New Product CRM Champion" of New York City.
* Provided the CRM division of Guidant with 150% Y-O-Y revenue increase, for 4 consecutive years.
OTHER RELEVANT EXPERIENCE
Center for Medical Innovation - Salt Lake City, UT
Advisory Board Member, 2014 to Present
Crimson Club Athletic Fund, University of Utah - Salt Lake City, UT
Board of Directors, 2014 to Present
School of Scientific Computing & Imaging, University of Utah - Salt Lake City, UT
Business Consultant, 2015 to Present
Medtronic, Inc. - Minneapolis, MN
US Sales, Cardiac Rhythm Management, 1992 to 1994
US Surgical, Inc. - Norwalk, CT
US Sales, Endo and Vascular Therapies, 1990 to 1992
Cornell University - Johnson School of Management - Ithaca, NY
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) General Management
New York University - New York, NY
Master of Science (M.S.) General Management
Pepperdine University - Malibu, CA
Master of Arts (M.A.) Organizational Psychology
National Honor Roll
University of Utah - Salt Lake City, UT
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) | Full Athletic Football Scholarship
University of Utah Football Team, Team Captain
Played in European Football League
Franklin / Covey - Relationship Selling; Professional Time Management
Dale Carnegie - Advanced Communication and Public Speaking Courses
Miller Heiman - Strategic Selling and Conceptual Selling Courses
Brian Tracy - Advanced Selling Strategies
Tom Hopkins - Sales Training
Guidant - Management Training; Product Sales; Territory Development; Best Practices for Sales Professionals
Systems, Devices and Methods for Mechanically Reducing & Fixing Bone Fractures - US Patent 8,894,596, 2014
Systems, Devices and Methods for Mechanically Reducing & Fixing Bone Fractures - US Patent 8,870,803, 2014
Systems, Devices and Methods for Mechanically Reducing & Fixing Bone Fractures - US Patent 8,690,808, 2014
Systems, Devices and Methods for Mechanically Reducing & Fixing Bone Fractures - US Patent 8,632,483, 2014
Mechanical Apparatus and Method for Delivering Materials into the Inter-Vertebral Body Space for Nucleus Replacement- US Patent 7,988,735, 2010