PLANT / OPERATIONS MANAGER
Highly energized leader with 20 years of success in manufacturing operations management, production, and maintenance in union and non-union, national and international environments along with 5 years of entrepreneurial experience building and managing a start-up business in the healthcare industry.
Successful at attaining and sustaining quantifiable bottom line results by engaging people, and securing personal commitment and ownership of business objectives.
Skilled at team building, conflict resolution, and creating sustainable change among cross-functional and multi-cultural teams. Committed to recruiting, mentoring, and developing employees to achieve excellence in all they do.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
*Production and Inventory Control
*Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
*Team Building and Leadership
CONFIDENTIAL EMPLOYER (2015 - Present)
Plant Manager, Gainesville, TX
Oversee plant operations and performance, including production, maintenance, shipping and receiving, human resources, engineering, and environmental health and safety (EHS). Special focus on proactive, preventive safety practices, with an ultimate goal of zero injuries. Also responsible for quality systems and continuous improvement, ensuring ISO compliance, and problem-solving for root causes, with a goal of complete customer satisfaction. Develop and maintain process improvement for inventory, scheduling, and shipping. Responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, and communicating with plant staff. Foster strong intercompany and interplant relationships, facilitating teamwork and establishing best practices. Prepare and maintain budgets for operating, repair, and maintenance.
* Championed $6.5 M plant transformation from municipal / industrial pressure products to natural gas and conduit cable installation products. Identified appropriate existing staff, making workforce adjustments as needed. Recruited, hired, and oversaw training of new employees, ensuring that all staff were motivated and worked as a cohesive team. Oversaw removal of old equipment, prepped plant for new equipment. Successfully addressed safety challenges, encouraging both individual and team accountability.
* Implemented "Doing It Right," an initiative that rewards employees for demonstrating positive behaviors and correct procedures. Employees receive gift cards as rewards. Program has improved employee understanding of how correct behaviors and procedures improve quality and safety.
* Sponsored and sustained "Breakfast with the Boss" initiative, recognizing employees during their birth month. Free breakfast also includes a chance to meet to plant leadership and foster stronger relationships at all levels of the plant.
* Enabled "Bright Ideas," a program which rewards employees' ideas for work flow and safety improvements. Ideas are reviewed by plant team, and if accepted, the employee is rewarded with a $50 gift card.
* Improved facility environment, health and safety through effective housekeeping practices, and transferring or scrapping old or obsolete equipment.
* Implemented daily management meeting, for oncoming and off going shift supervisors to review past shift performance and prepare for the upcoming shift. Meetings addressed all aspects of quality, environmental health and safety, shipping, maintenance, human resources, and production, and have resulted in root cause analysis, rapid problem solving, and improved employee engagement.
* Created and oversaw implementation for new on-site shift tech position to maintain equipment and quickly restore production flow. Replaced on-call maintenance personnel; shift technicians were hired internally and learned new skills. Turnaround time for solving equipment problems decreased.
* Implemented a new lead team audit, a process that included product inspections by a cross-functional leadership team, increasing number of inspections and providing multiple perspectives on product quality.
* Employed root cause problem solving initiatives using scientific method approach, i.e., 5 Whys fishbone. Safety and quality performance improved year-over-year (2015 2016). OSHA Recordables have dropped by 70%; on-time shipments have improved 20%, and customer complaints have decreased 25%.
CONFIDENTIAL EMPLOYER (2009 - 2014)
Franchise Owner and President, Indianapolis, IN
Started a franchise-based non-medical home care business targeting the 55-plus population in the Indianapolis area. Hired, trained, and managed a staff of 25-30 caregivers and support personnel.
* Developed long-term referral relationships with hospitals and health care providers, growing sales from $26K in 2009 to more than $374K. Achieved 500 and 1,000 billable hours milestones.
* Held full P&L responsibility for business operations including Accounting, Marketing, Sales, Recruiting, Training, Scheduling, and Client Relations.
CONFIDENTIAL EMPLOYER (1989 - 2008)
Director, Global Maintenance & Reliability, Indianapolis, IN (2005 2008)
Promoted to direct the companys Global Maintenance & Reliability efforts across 26 plants in 6 global regions, closely collaborating with plant managers and maintenance leaders. Purchased and led implementation of a Computerized Maintenance Management System across North America.
* Implemented a system-wide common maintenance and reliability system that improved reliability excellence, increased manufacturing efficiencies, and lowered inventory and maintenance costs.
* Managed a project that decreased scrap by 71%, increased uptime by 9% and increased volume by 22%, generating over $425K in conversion revenue.
* Benchmarked best performing plants and developed gap analysis in poorer performing plants, greatly improving manufacturing metrics, and implementing predictive / preventive maintenance practices.
* Introduced a standard process for retrieving performance data from global shop floor system.
Plant Manager, Olive Branch, MS (2000 - 2005)
Directed all ongoing operations through a staff of 165 employees. P&L responsibility for annual sales of $8.1M. Ensured compliance with OSHA requirements, housekeeping and environmental health and safety activities. Implemented Alcoa Business System based on Toyota Production System, including Rules In Use, Standardized Work, Problem Solving, Daily Management, Pull Systems, 5S, Kaizen, TPM and Waste Elimination.
* Eliminated $721K of waste in repair parts and stores inventory through reduction in equipment downtime, tighter inventory control, and sale of spare parts to other locations.
* Achieved 26% overall cost improvement by maintaining business momentum and effectively managing expenses.
* Reduced overall manufacturing scrap by 44% by standardizing work, resolving manufacturing issues, and installing process monitoring devices.
* Gained a 13% improvement in manufacturing output through equipment reliability improvements, standardized work, and implementation of an In-Control and Capable (IC&C) quality system; reduced customer complaints 39%.
* Reduced overall manufacturing costs that resulted in the plant being awarded a $5M capital investment to launch a new product line. Project was implemented early and within budget.
* Reduced first aid injuries by 50% through employee engagement, elimination of unsafe conditions, and employee reward and recognition programs; completed over 1 million hours without a lost work day in 2004.
Certified Senior Advisor, Society of Certified Senior Advisors, 2010
M.A., Applied Behavioral Sciences, Emphasis on Managing and Consulting, Bastyr University, Seattle, WA
B.S., Electronics Technology, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Vice President, Hendricks County Council on Aging
Advisory Council Member, Central Indiana Council on Aging (CICOA)
Member, Kiwanis Club of Brownsburg