GLOBAL OPERATIONS ~ STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP ~ P & L
Retail ~ Restaurant ~ Consumer Services ~ Business Services ~ Travel
* Accomplished international executive with P & L responsibility for Fortune 50 to Fortune 500 companies in the highly competitive global market for branded consumer products and services, including some of America's business icons: PepsiCo, Wendy's International, Budget Rent-A-Car, FedEx Kinko's, and Regus Group.
* Proven ability to increase sales and profitability for multi-site businesses across the retail, restaurant, consumer services, business services, and travel / transportation sectors.
* Change agent with proven success leading turnarounds, rapid growth, and international expansion.
* Progressive leader focused on achieving sustainable results through strategic vision and active engagement of all levels in the organization.
* Adept at achieving rapid growth and profitability by improving employee and customer loyalty in difficult economic and cultural environments.
* Experienced general manager recognized for exceptional blend of operational, marketing, financial, and HR skills.
CREATIVELY SOLVING COMPLEX PROBLEMS ~ DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL MARKETS
* International Operations
* Emerging Markets: China, India, Pacific
* Turnaround Management
* Multi-Unit Retail
* Marketing and Brand Building
* Market Development / Franchising
* Strategic Planning
* Operational Focus and Execution
* Organizational Restructuring
* Remote Multicultural Team Leadership
* Mergers & Acquisitions
* P&L Management
MBA: Marketing, University of Memphis; B.Com: Accounting & Economics, University of Bombay
National Institute of Bank Management, Bombay, India
Pacific Rim Management Program, University of Southern California
NUEBRIDGE, LLC - Chicago, IL 2014 - Present
Provide C-Suite level advisory services on profitable growth strategies and operational excellence. Assess existing drivers of financial performance, market position, and customer experience; develop turnaround and change management strategies, and implementation plans.
FRIENDLY FRANCHISEES CORPORATION - La Palma, CA 2008 - 2014
CEO / Executive Advisor
FFC is one of the largest restaurant franchise companies in the U.S. with 100 units of three major brands, Carl's Jr., Denny's, and Papa John's, and total revenues of $250 million. The company also owns and operates apartment complexes with a view to aggressive growth.
* Turned around sales in two of the three brands (6% growth) and improved overall profitability for the company during a period of economic downturn.
* Created synergies with shared services among the various business units while fostering autonomy and an entrepreneurial style for each, representing a major culture change in keeping with the founder's wishes.
* Sourced and negotiated several acquisition opportunities of restaurant brands, with the goal of growing to $500 million in revenues in four years.
REGUS GROUP, PLC - Dallas, TX 2005 - 2007
Senior Vice President, Operations
Regus Group is the leading global provider of outsourced workplace solutions, fully equipped executive suites, and business services, with revenues of $1.1 billion and operations in over 60 countries. Responsible for Operations, IT, HR, Training, Product Management, Customer Relations, and Franchising: 400 company-owned business centers in the U.S. and Canada, and 60 franchise locations in North and South America.
* Achieved record occupancy levels exceeding 88%, the highest in the company, and EBITDA of $107 million, an increase of 23%. Grew the company from 350 company-owned business centers to 400.
* Created an acquisition process from due diligence to integration that significantly improved the quality and timeliness of all acquisitions; completed over 20 transactions.
* Developed and drove a complete overhaul and centralization of billing system that led to the realization of "found" revenue in excess of $9 million per year.
* Introduced new systems, processes, and training programs in general management and sales on a global basis.
FEDEX KINKO'S - Dallas, TX 2004 - 2005
SVP / President International
Following the acquisition of Kinko's by FedEx, was recruited to build Kinko's international presence from 110 branches in 9 countries to a dominant global player. Direct reports included Country Managers in China, Mexico, Japan, Korea, Australia, Canada, UK, and the Netherlands, as well as the Directors of Operations, Development, Finance, Human Resources, and Sales and Marketing.
* Created a 5-year strategic plan to build scale in existing markets and grow the international business to 1,000 branches in 26 countries.
* Penetrated 3 new markets in China and started the first wholly-owned subsidiary in Shanghai with full government approval.
* Initiated and directed an international integration plan designed to offer FedEx shipping services at Kinko's and to re-brand the company.
* Streamlined the real estate selection process to increase autonomy and accountability in the field, expedite new store openings, and reduce time to break even.
* Quadrupled new store growth rate while achieving healthy 12% same store sales growth.
JOLLY & ASSOCIATES - Chicago, IL and Mumbai, India 2001 - 2003
Consultant - Strategy & Operations
Provide strategic and operational consulting to international and domestic enterprises. Clients have included: TBWA Hong Kong; KCI, the leading consulting firm in the car rental industry; GNV Group; Allure Systems, a high technology start-up from the Laboratory for Computer Sciences at MIT; and Manchu Wok, a 230-unit Chinese fast food chain.
BUDGET RENT-A-CAR - Lisle, IL 1999 - 2001
Vice President, North American Operations
Full P & L responsibility for $1.6 billion revenue, 16 direct reports included 7 Regional Vice Presidents/General Managers and 9 Directors, employing 10,000, and with oversight responsibility for the Ryder Division ($500 million in annual revenue). Positioned the company for sale to Cendant.
* Orchestrated a 21% increase in corporate account sales by improving service which enabled the company to obtain/retain more large corporate accounts.
* Reduced costs throughout North American Operations. Achieved $50 million operational savings improvement to the bottom line including $6 million reduction in overhead, $10 million reduction in variable labor costs, and 2% improvement in fleet utilization.
* Introduced "Best Practice Procedures" throughout North America after recognizing inconsistencies in systems and operating procedures between markets. This involved every aspect of customer transactions, facilities appearance/image, service quality, employee training, and technology.
* Completed integration of the "Premier" brand thereby assimilating a new business segment (insurance replacement) into the company's business model, adding 175 new locations.
WENDY'S INTERNATIONAL - Honolulu, HI 1995 - 1999
Vice President, Asia/Pacific
Brought in to revitalize the largest international region of Wendy's and assume general management responsibility for 240 restaurants in 11 countries, generating $250 million in sales. Hired and built a team of 14 professionals in operations, marketing, training, engineering, purchasing, and market development.
* Transformed adversarial franchise relationships into partnerships of trust and teamwork, significantly improving revenues and margins.
* Created a 3-year strategic plan incorporating new market entry in 5 additional countries. Coordinated strategic global partnerships with Coca-Cola and Bates Worldwide Advertising that measurably enhanced brand equity in diverse markets.
* Achieved record growth for the International Division despite Asian economic crisis. Grew the Asian/Pacific region 30% in one year.
CENTREX VENTURE GROUP - Raleigh, NC 1993 - 1995
President and Co-Founder
Established an entrepreneurial venture to provide consulting in international trade, strategic alliances, and joint ventures.
* Formed a joint venture between two companies in Europe and Asia, creating synergies in manufacturing and distribution while improving ROI for both entities.
* Developed a strategic plan that broadened export market and increased revenues 40% for a garment manufacturing company in India.
PANCHO'S, INC. - Memphis, TN 1988 - 1993
President and CEO
Recruited by the founder to join the company as President and CEO. Led the turnaround of this $50 million company which lacked focus, was undercapitalized, and close to bankruptcy.
* Reduced overhead expenses by $1.2 million, assembled a high-caliber management team, implemented a measurable system of internal controls, and decentralized decision-making.
* Led the divestiture of an unprofitable manufacturing division, eliminating a $544,000 loss.
* Directed all financial/debt management functions; reduced long-term debt obligations 60%, payables by 67%.
* Directed start-up of a new food bar concept for supermarket chains; brought project from concept through development to sale of 200+ accounts.
* Oversaw the development of a large food broker and distribution network throughout 38 states and Canada; built from start-up to over $3.5 million in revenues.
* Favorably resolved costly litigation which had plagued the company for eight years.
PEPSICO, INC. - Purchase, NY 1980 - 1988
Regional Vice President - Pizza Hut - Raleigh, NC (1984 - 1988)
Led regional expansion of Pizza Hut restaurants, while concurrently managing an aggressive revenue and profit improvement program for existing operations.
* Increased sales 65% and profits 120% in less than 4 years.
* Created/built a prototype delivery concept in conjunction with the Director of Delivery Operations; currently the Delivery Operation is a 2,000-site business unit.
Regional Director - Taco Bell - Greensboro, NC and Cherry Hill, NJ (1980 - 1984)
Led aggressive turnaround of the underperforming Northeast region with 138 restaurants in 9 states; approved 25 new sites for company and franchised operations; converted existing restaurants to new image.
* Transitioned Northeast regional sales to 15% above plan (from 18% below plan) with an 820% improvement over profit goals.