Senior-Level Operations Professional: A Renaissance-Style Executive with Expertise in Operations, Change Management, Lean Manufacturing & Finance.
Proven Change Agent Offering 15+ Years of Broad, Global Leadership Experience. Strong background in multi-site operations, finance, risk mitigation, lean manufacturing, and services. History of repeated success.
DELL INC. 07/2000Present
DELL INC. SERVICES (an $8.5 billion business unit) 03/2011Present
Executive Director, Services Business Operations (08/2012Present)
Promoted to consolidate shared services organizations with VP-level responsibility and challenged to find synergies, drive simplification, and expand coverage without adding cost to the organization. Charged with driving efficiencies and mitigating risks from offer development, through sales, to delivery of professional IT service offerings.
Create and control an up to $26.5 million budget and lead 8 global teams centralized under Services Business Operations following an internal reorganization. Oversee 8 executive and director-level managers and a staff of up to 235 people located in the U.S., Malaysia, Morocco, the U.K., India, Panama, Mexico, China, Brazil, Japan, France, and Spain.
- Without adding costs, built accountability and scalability while supporting key stakeholders across the services organization; led operations in implementing a holistic business framework, methodologies, policies, and processes to ensure profitability, governance, a positive customer experience, and scalability to meet future demand.
- On an ongoing basis, increased velocity while broadening the scope of teams all while diversifying stakeholder base.
- Quickly reduced costs 10%+ by working with HR and Finance to capture personnel efficiencies.
Executive Director / Chief of Staff to President (03/201108/2012)
Tapped to help lead business unit transformation. Provided operations support to the President of Dell Services in a role that was largely ambiguous. Routinely researched, developed, and wrote President's presentations, agendas, and strategic content for audiences that included the Board of Directors, senior-executive leadership team, and conference attendees.
Worked with teams cross-functionally behind the scenes to create strategies for driving the business internally-defined parameters, implemented business structure and first-year roadmap to help align 44,000-person team, including senior-leadership, to maximize value delivered. Filtered information going in and out of the President's office, determined priorities, and coordinated meetings. Built strong relationships across the team to foster collaboration and secure buy-in as an individual contributor.
- Played a key role in paving the road for critical transformation and enhancing operating margin 720 basis points over an 8-quarter period; created and managed the cadence for a united organization after Dell acquired Perot Systems.
- Turned around dysfunctional parts of business that were previously opinc negative; oversaw 2 restructurings and implemented KPIs and operational reporting systems to further improve execution, accountability, and results.
- Aligned campus to reflect and embrace Dell culture and brand, spearheading change management initiatives.
DELL INC. FINANCE (rapidly promoted through a series of finance roles) 03/200302/2011
Executive Director, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Large Enterprise Business Unit (06/201002/2011)
Consolidated and managed a $17 billion P&L, leading a central FP&A team, including a central team of 10 reports and a global team of 65. Charged with global responsibility for driving strategic financial planning, both long- and short-term, and reporting. Also, led a team of controllers supporting $2 billion of revenue across 2 sales channels and 3 geographic areas.
- Improved operating income 200+ basis points by supporting transformation of the unit go-to-market model.
Director, Global Audit & Finance Transformation (01/200906/2010)
Originally tasked with managing a 5-month transformation to redesign financial structures, processes and systems from a regional to a global focus to reduce expenses and enable global accountability. Identified gaps in the financial system that were crippling support of the global organization. This resulted in a $15 million global transformation project that laid the groundwork for enhanced productivity and focus. Leveraged underutilized functionality of existing Oracle financial systems, realigned existing applications, deployed new financial tools, and automated reporting functions to save headcount. Entailed extensive project management, prioritization, and cross-functional engagement.
- Enhanced global visibility and accountability of cost ownership and positioned the company to proactively manage new global organizations by developing and implementing a new global P&L structure.
- Delivered 84% reduction in total OPEX journal entries, vastly improving governance and enhancing reporting accuracy.
- Improved functionality and simplified reporting by leading global $15 million financial systems transformation project.
- Mitigated risks and improved regulatory compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) by creating new audit procedures, identifying and performing audits at high-risk locations, and rolling out mandatory global training.
Senior Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis, Corporate Planning (09/200612/2008)
Senior Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis, Consumer & Small Business Sales (02/200508/2006)
Oversaw teams of up to 12. Worked cross-functionally with Michael Dell, the CFO, corporate attorneys, business leaders, and corporate strategy to create a 3-year strategic business plan provided forecast guidance and conducted extensive analyses.
- Cut annual costs $1+ billion (12%) and boosted profitability by working closely with the CFO to prepare a 3-year productivity analysis, roll out a recommended plan, and track results over 6 quarters.
- Improved accuracy, enhanced productivity, and saved thousands of dollars by reducing planning cycles 55% per quarter; identified planning calendar inefficiencies~500 analysts churning out forecasts that were not driving decisions.
- Played a role in positioning the company to better manage the business by working with Deloitte to transition both planning and accounting from a linear global hierarchy to a multidimensional hierarchy.
Senior Analyst, Small Business Sales Queue & Online (02/200402/2005)
Financial Planning & Analysis Team Lead, SMB Sales Segment (03/200302/2004)
- Consolidated 40 operational metrics into a simplified and actionable 18-line report that compared KPIs for 1,100 sales representatives, by site and by team, against their effects on $2 billion P&L.
- Played a key role as finance lead in opening and launching new site in Oklahoma City, on-boarding management and providing financial training to sales to ensure BOB practices and accuracy in tracking KPIs.
DELL INC. OPERATIONS (rapidly promoted through a series of operational roles) 07/200003/2003
Master Sales Plan Team Lead, Small Business Marketing Operations (12/200103/2003)
Senior Process Engineer, Dell Americas Manufacturing (12/200012/2001)
Senior Engineer, Worldwide Operations Strategy (07/200012/2000)
Worked closely with brand managers and marketing communications to develop product sales forecasts and ensure supply chain capacities. Developed and implemented next-generation manufacturing systems.
- Increased production 400% from 200 units/hour to 800 units/hour without growing the physical footprint or the size of the line by applying lean manufacturing principles to deliver new production systems in a highly automated environment.
- Improved accuracy to 99.9% and virtually eliminated line shutdowns in Penang, Malaysia by building a global team of engineering process champions and working on-site to create a breakthrough manufacturing system.
Early Career Experience:
Cooper Industries (over a 6-year tenure, graduated from corporate-sponsored 2-year rotational management training program and rapidly promoted from front-line Production Supervisor to Operations Manager with business unit P&L responsibility)
- Gained valuable experience in lean manufacturing principles, managing a staff of up to 35 direct and 60 indirect reports.
Harvard Business School, Boston, MA - Master of Business Administration, 2000
Ohio University, Athens, OH - Bachelor of Science, Industrial & Systems Engineering, 1992