Delivering growth for startups and mature organizations
Senior Executive with 20 years of operations guidance and 12 years' successful P&L leadership. Curious and agile outlook, always looking for better solutions. Talented at assessing needs and identifying opportunities for product technology, process improvement, and market expansion. Progressive history of successfully managing complex operations in market development, services, engineering design, manufacturing, and power generation/distribution. Exceptional developer of people and builder of organizational bench strength.
* Market Development: Created strong customer base across the Americas and Europe with $10M in sales, adding $4M in revenue by linking sales of service and parts to product sales.
* Startups: Built, equipped, and staffed complex 40K sq. ft. manufacturing facility, launching manufacturing operations in 12 months.
* Cost Reduction: Developed strategic production cost reduction plan, achieving 50% of planned 30% decrease in less than a year by product engineering redesign and standardization, and strategic global outsourcing.
* People Development: Mentored and trained many leaders across many companies using High Performing Organization Model, leading to their recruitment to broader responsibilities and promotion from within.
* Product Refinement: Maintained market share and drove market growth by introducing key technological refinements in new products (fuel cells, electrolysis, supercritical CO2), and mature products (steam turbines).
Product Engineering * Facility Development * Staff Development * Business Integration * Strategic Planning * M&A * Market Entry/Expansion * Manufacturing * Energy Generation/Delivery * Outsourcing * Production Management * Financing Government Relations * Customer Relationship Management * Logistics * Startups * Business Development
CAREER HISTORY & ACHIEVEMENTS
Vice President 2015-Present
$1B international leader in compressors, turbines, and steam turbine generators for the petroleum extraction and power generation industries, as well as industrial packaging, with operations in 20 countries. P&L: $150M. Report to COO.
P&L leadership for Turbine and Packaging divisions. Focus on strategic realignment of core businesses for better market stability, manufacturing efficiencies, and reduced costs in competitive global market. Emphasis on developing business with key customers to grow market share around the world.
* Drove market share growth in NA, EMA and Asia/Pacific during period of lower demand and higher competition by focus on key customers and restructuring product lines to meet their needs.
* Created cost reduction group and drove ~$5M product cost reductions in 2016, achieving 50% of strategic cost cutting plan results in less than 12 months.
* Maintained 50% market share despite rise in low-cost competition by building new manufacturing center in Bangalore, India for anticipated 30% savings in production costs, and by standardizing design to cut inventory, engineering and design costs.
* Led strategic restructuring of core businesses to better align with market conditions and aggressive competition, driving extensive process refinements and establishing OPEX savings of more than $7M.
* Applied Lean Manufacturing principles to drive 40% faster response time, cutting product lifecycle costs, and improving turbine technology to better fit customers' needs. Regained customer confidence and saved key accounts.
Senior Manager 2012-2015
Recruited by Elliot to lead startup of new unit supplying steam turbines to the smaller-scale power generation market. Built sales, engineering, marketing, and service teams to leverage both existing and new products.
* Developed strategic supplier relationships to reduce product costs by 15% and slash RFP response time.
* Created marketing plans for the NA, SA, APAC, EMA, and Russia Markets for anticipated 10% growth in market share.
INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT,Concord, MA
Guided startups and development-stage organizations in corporate development, technology development, supply chain strategies, and product marketing. Performed new technology market analysis for investment funds.
* Accurately identified industries with greatest sales potential for startup with new, low-cost sensor, averting sub-optimal marketing strategy, and ensuring greatest exposure and faster market acceptance.
SUN CATALYTIX CORPORATION Cambridge, MA
Chief Operating Officer January-August 2010
Startup developing artificial photosynthesis to obtain hydrogen from solar energy. Reported to CEO.
Asked to lead initial funding, staffing, and operations development for high-tech startup. Directed strategy and marketing direction, and created technology roadmap and product development plan preliminary to initial production.
* Obtained $20M in venture capital funding, with $4M/year in Department of Energy funding.
* Built research staff and led team to meet or exceed all critical, early-stage product development technical milestones.
THAR GEOTHERMAL, INC. Pittsburgh, PA
Startup developing a geothermal heating/cooling process using geothermal CO2 at supercritical pressures. Reported to CEO.
Interim position to validate laboratory results, and lead transition to large-scale, geothermal trials with the goal of commercial implementation. Created aggressive development plan, assembled initial staff, and built a strong supplier base.
* Secured $1M state grant to fund initial, successful demonstration justifying Thar technology; built strong relationships with venture capital firms for later funding.
* Deployed successful, large-scale demonstration of company's proprietary refrigeration technology in collaboration with Audubon Society and the Green Building Alliance.
HYDROGEN CORPORATION Versailles, PA
Chief Operating Officer 2005-2008
Startup formed to commercialize Westinghouse fuel cell technology. $25M budget. Reported to CEO.
Recruited to lead startup attempt to resuscitate phosphoric acid fuel cell technology, obtain initial funding, create commercialization plans, and build large-scale pilot manufacturing facilities and operations to demonstrate commercial viability to investors. Assembled staff of 150, planned and implemented safety, manufacturing, quality control, human resources, and supply chain operations able to sustain commercial operations during the early production phase.
* Revived legacy technology, built 40,000 sq ft manufacturing/R&D facility, and implemented pilot manufacturing operations 6 months before the 18 month deadline while staying 20% under $30M budget.
* Raised over $40M in financing, including $10M in state grants in addition to private equity funding.
* Designed organizational structure and built world class staff of 150.
PLUG POWER, INC. Latham, NY
Director of Market Engagement 1999-2005
Startup fuel cell developer. $30M budget, 75 staff. Reported to Chief Marketing Officer.
Built best-in-class organization to market, sell, and support new fuel cell product line. Grew role to leadership of all company's customer-facing operations including customer relationship management and state and government relations and fundraising.
* Executed 2 product launches, and drove $10M in sales across NA and Europe, delivering quarter-over-quarter increases.
* Built loyal customer base of 60 by creating new markets through careful relationship building and outstanding delivery.
* Gained additional $4M in service revenue by linking service with product sales.
* Obtained $30M in R&D funding by building close relations with corporate and federal clients and the World Bank.
Reactor Servicing Manager, Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory; Lead Engineer and Field Engineer, GE Nuclear Energy
EDUCATION & MEMBERSHIPS
MBA, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
BS, Marine Engineering, US Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
Training at US Navy Nuclear Power Engineering School and GE Boiling Water Reactor Engineering School
Member, International District Energy Association
Member, United States Service Academy Nominating Committee