Objective: VP of Group Underwriting/Insurance Operations
FES, INC, Newport News, Virginia United States
Chief Operating Officer, May 2009 present
* Top performer who excels at analyzing organizational needs, identifying lucrative growth opportunities, defining strategies for development existing business, and attaining solid leveraging in competitive public /private- sector areas. Turned around a net lost and achieved net profit first year in position.
* Increased new business by 35% during my first fiscal year in a very challenging market while increasing net profits by an additional 20% to 30% annually.
* Expanded operations to new markets after reinventing existing services and adding new services which gained competitive advantages in the market. Excellent negotiation skills.
* Ambitious self starter who leads quality staff recruitment that encourages diversity, low turnover and business loyalty. Proven A - Team staff developer.
* Integral leader who offers proven experience in large-scale operational optimization, including conceptualizing, creating, and implementing forward thinking projects, programs and processes to achieve continued key growth and profitability. Proven to work effectively in all types of business environments and industry sectors as a result of diversified experience and track record.
WELLPOINT, INC, Roanoke, Virginia United States
Director & Staff Vice President of Underwriting Operations, Oct 1993 Mar 2008
* Applied strong leadership talents toward conducting forward-thinking industry research, financial analysis, and strategic planning for larger scale business acquisitions. As corporate wide chief underwriter and policy maker for large group, small group and individual lines of business, I successfully developed an effective underwriting policy collaboratively with multifunctional teams. Leveraged over 20 years of large group underwriting experience to yield profitable growth in each market. Accountable for all SOX, Medicare, NCQA & associated local & national compliance rules & regulations.
* Successfully streamlined and standardized where feasible underwriting policy, procedures and operations enterprise-wide following corporate acquisition of a host of insurers which more than doubled the block of business for both individual and group lines of business.
* Achieved $60 million + profit improvements in the company's Atlanta Blue Cross & Blue Shield brand after evaluating and implementing an advanced underwriting risk management strategy which I designed, authored and copy right protected.
* Operations excellence: Achieved more than a 50% increase in production turnaround in the individual new business function to gain a competitive advantage in the market place with the various distribution channels. Keen awareness of channel management and optimization.
* Significantly reduced costs and minimized rate increases by working closely with actuarial, underwriting, marketing and case management. This improved our business retention and profitability. It also created a best in industry practice of an effective integrated cross functional business model.
* Managed Quality Assurance & Fraud and Abuse teams consistently realizing increased profits by removing costly fraud and promoting efficiency in underwriting operational processes.
NORTH CAROLINA MUTUAL, Durham, NC United States
Vice President & Chief Underwriting Officer, Oct 1988 Sep 1993
* Developed and implemented effective accelerated training programs for the field underwriting which measurably upgraded the individual life and medical underwriting performance outcomes.
* Achieved 10% reduction in operating cost and significantly reduced claim and underwriting expense by 25% and 15% respectively.
* Performed financial and underwriting risk management. Responsibilities included management of multi-line underwriting operations including group insurance and the development of product line analysis.
BLUE CROSS & BLUE SHIELD OF GA, Atlanta, GA United States
Manager of Group Underwriting, May 1983 Sep 1988
* Developed and implemented innovative financial service contracts for group underwriting which maximized cash flow on large accounts clearing the path for appropriate renewal rate adjustments to maintain target medical loss ratios.
* Manage change in integrated health care delivery systems, such as work restructuring, technological innovations, and shifts in the focus of care.
* Prepare activity reports to inform management of the status and implementation plans of programs, services, and quality initiatives.
* Alternate funding and stop loss underwriting
Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina United States
VSU, Petersburg, VA United States
BS, Business Administration and minor in IT
American College, Bryn Mawr, PA United States
* Chartered Life Underwriter
American College, Bryn Mawr, PA United States
* Chartered Financial Consultant
Life Management Institute, Atlanta, GA United States
* Fellow - Life Management Institute
Duke University, Durham, NC United States
MBA Refresher - Finance
Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, NC United States
Management Leadership Development
* Policy / Procedure Development/Execution
* Cross Functional Team Building / Training/Developed many into leadership positions
* Research/Reporting & Analytical Powerhouse leading to hidden opportunities
* Operations Management/Risk Management /Recognized as an Industry expert
* Ability to direct complete projects from concept to fully operational status/Workflow Process Management
* Profit & Loss Responsibility/Budget Management
* Project / Program Management
* Mergers / Acquisitions / Spin offs/Compliance management
* Strategic Analysis / Planning / Execution
* Group and Individual Medical Underwriting/Life and Disability Underwriting Management
* President of the Mid-Atlantic Life Underwriting Association for 10 years