Growth oriented chief financial officer experienced in increasing profitability in fast-paced private equity and public company environments. Highly focused on cash flow through strategic growth and cost reduction initiatives. Drive operational excellence through hands-on implementation of systems and processes. Trusted collaborator with CEOs, senior management, board, and investors.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Management reporting, KPIs
Financial planning & analysis; budgeting
Operations analysis & optimization
Treasury: cash flow, capital structure, banking
Financial modeling, decision support
Corporate development / M&A
Business process improvement
$60 million private equity-backed e-commerce retailer of microscopes and accessories.
Chief Financial Officer
Lead all aspects of finance, accounting, legal, and human resources with objective to drive profitable growth and professionalize finance and administrative functions.
- Developed companys first financial planning procedures and tools, identifying key value drivers to spur profitable growth in new channels, regions, and product categories.
- Completed $26 million acquisition of European microscope distributor, including strategic analysis, due diligence, and debt financing.
- Developed $2.5 million EBITDA improvement actions to address unfavorable impacts of new tariffs.
- Renegotiated small package freight contract, reducing shipping costs 22%.
- Reengineered accounting function to enable monthly financial reporting, business analysis, and GAAP compliance.
- Redesigned employee benefit programs including 401k, time off policies, and health insurance administrative procedures, enabling competitive recruiting of new professional staff positions.
Early-stage company providing cross-platform wireless asset tracking and analytics for automotive, healthcare, and construction industries.
- Developed strategic financial model to guide profitable growth and position company to raise capital.
- Provided quote support to win first customer, enabling $20,000 annual revenue.
$300 million global manufacturer of electronic components serving the networking, telecommunications, cellular handset, automotive, and military/aerospace industries.
Senior Director of Finance & Treasurer
Led all aspects of enterprise financial planning and analysis, corporate treasury, and investor relations, including strategic planning, capital structure, budgeting and reporting for operating business units, capital investment analysis and budgeting, management cost analysis, and risk management. Reported to CFO.
- Led enterprise strategic and annual planning to improve profit margins across business units. Increased EBITDA over 100% despite declining revenues.
- Led manufacturing operations finance and accounting for five international and two domestic plants. Transformed product costing policy resulting in improved price competitiveness and enabling key account growth and account wins.
- Provided financial analysis and support for numerous capital transactions, including $17 million privatization by private equity investor (2015), $21 million exchange transaction of convertible debt (2014), $103 million debt recapitalization (2012), and $55 million credit facility amendments (2011-12), resulting in long-term stabilization of company funding and liquidity.
- Implemented cash forecast models that enabled management of liquidity under tight cash constraints.
- Provided strategic analysis and financial due diligence for potential acquisitions and divestitures, including a $200 million sale of a business unit.
- Led investment analysis and business plans for successful expansion into new product line that delivered new technology to the wireless antenna market.
- Led process improvement and financial system implementations: SAP planning & consolidation, product costing, and cash forecasting modules; improved cost accounting methodologies; cross-functional LEAN business process improvements.
- Developed new finance team organization to align with business units. Trained six new business unit finance leaders to successfully support general management.
$62 billion health benefits company
Director of Finance - Behavioral Health Division
Directed the finance and accounting function for a $150 million division providing behavioral health services to all of companys health plans. Led strategic planning, development of financial strategies including business development and acquisitions. Oversaw financial reporting and planning, finance systems development, and accounting. Reported to Business Unit VP & CFO.
- Led all financial aspects of a $6 million acquisition of a behavioral health service provider, including economic modeling, due diligence, analysis and recommendation of sales terms and offers, and integration into WellPoint.
- Developed cost reduction strategies that lowered unit costs 13% over three years.
- Integrated two legacy finance teams following the merger of Anthem and WellPoint, including staff realignment, financial management models, planning and reporting processes, and accounting.
$87 billion global technology services provider spanning imaging and printing, business and home computing, IT infrastructure, and global services.
Various finance leadership positions
UNITED STATES NAVY, LIEUTENANT - SURFACE WARFARE OFFICER 1986-1990
MBA - Finance and Economics 1992
University of Chicago Booth School of Business (Chicago, IL)
BS - Chemical Engineering 1986
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, MA)