SENIOR FINANCE AND OPERATIONS EXECUTIVE
Driving positive change and profitable growth in organizations
Executive leader with strong mix of expertise in finance and operations and the ability to analyze key business drivers, develop strategies to grow the bottom line, and solve challenges in complex situations. Marketing, media, and technology services industry expertise with the ability to mentor and motivate high performing teams. High standards of integrity and commitment. Academic credentials: M.B.A. / B.S.B.A. Suffolk University.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
* Strategic Planning
* Business Transformation
* Business Process Change and Design
* Building and Leading Teams
* Board and Investor Communications
* Budget and P&L Management
* Business Plans for Growth
* Financial Operations
* System Implementations
* Business Development
* Funding and M&A Opportunities
* Client and Vendor Contracts
* Developing Strategic Alliances
* Building Shareholder Value
START-UP, RAPID GROWTH, AND CHANGE SUCCESSES IN CUSTOMER-CENTRIC CULTURES
* Strategic Planning - Created and drove business and operating plans and process that have successfully guided business model change, market expansion, raising capital, and M&A activity for organizations in various business stages.
* Business Transformation - Led multiple transformations from business model change to business turnaround, post-acquisition integration, and repositioning for growth.
* P&L Management - Managed P&Ls with revenues ranging from $18M to over $100M.
* Business Process Design & Change - Led cross-functional teams in process design and selection of systems for productivity enhancement, client delivery systems, financial reporting, and internal development.
* Funding Plans - Created and presented financial plans to the board, investors, and parent company leading to securing venture funding, attracting M&A prospects, and approval of operating plans.
* Mergers and Acquisitions - Managed several acquisition and integration projects with budgets of up to $120M; conducted due diligence on marketing technology companies in the U.S., evaluating business strength.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
GROUPM CONNECT - Newton, MA, New York, NY Mar 2011 - Present
GroupM Connect is GroupM's digital agency and part of global media services company WPP, plc (LON:WPP).
Chief Financial Officer
Direct the financial operations for all GroupM search marketing and social media agency offices across the U.S.
* Led financial process integration and system implementation for merger of existing and acquired search and social assets across 8 offices with 500 employees and 132 clients.
* Drove visibility to performance driving accountability and decision process during growth of $18M to $80M net revenue.
* Introduced profitability and staffing models, reporting, and targets to drive staffing and pricing decisions, including a new $30M contract with Proctor & Gamble.
WESLEY PARTNERS - Wellesley, MA Jun 2010 - Present
Wesley Partners is a management consulting practice serving organizations in growth and change stage.
Joined boutique consulting firm founded by a former boss (CEO of Modiv Media).
* Created and managed operating plan for start-up of health information publisher and content provider for a private investor/founder.
* Developed operating and funding plans for an e-commerce angel-stage company seeking its first round of venture funding.
* Created business plan and product models for the board of a digital media company seeking to start a new business unit.
THE POHLY COMPANY - Boston, MA Sep 2008 - May 2009
The Pohly Company is a marketing and custom publishing consulting and services firm serving national brands.
Chief Financial Officer / Chief Operating Officer
Accepted newly created position to lead finance and operations, align strategy across business units, and form and execute a 3 year exit strategy. Charged with upgrading planning and reporting to support increasing profitability and attracting a buyer. Economic downturn led to elimination of CFO / COO position and an overall 80% reduction in headcount. Led planning and execution of downsizing.
* Implemented new dashboards, P&L and cash forecasting resulting in ongoing visibility to sales, cash, and profit targets.
* Successfully negotiated alliances with two new partners resulting in opening new digital media ad revenue channels.
* Developed 2009 operating plan downsizing the company to address recession conditions in late 2008.
MODIV MEDIA - Quincy, MA Sep 2007 - Aug 2008
Modiv Media (now Catalina Mobile) is a digital media firm providing in-store media solutions to the grocery and retail industries.
Chief Financial Officer / Chief Operating Officer
Built and led finance, operations, and IT functions for this venture-backed firm engaged in developing and implementing digital and mobile media solutions. Investors included Oak Investment Partners and Ignition Partners. Company was downsized after lead investor, Oak Investment Partners, withdrew support in 2008. Company was sold to Catalina.
* Secured board approval of operating and funding plans leading to two successful rounds of funding totaling $11M.
* Created and implemented dashboard reports and billing process for ad serving business covering a 250 store retail chain.
* Originated reporting in collaboration with the management team including cash flow, operating forecast, and board package.
JLS / DIRECT RESPONSE SOLUTIONS - Brockton, MA Dec 2004 - Aug 2007
JLS and its Direct Response Solutions agency provide marketing, fulfillment, data services, and mailing solutions.
Chief Operating Officer - JLS / President - Direct Response Solutions
Charged with creating the plan, developing measurements, and accountability to drive a successful turn-around to profitability. Entered an organization with little financial structure, reporting, poor processes and controls, and no systems in place to adequately measure performance. Reorganized finance group and process and established and aligned accountability for performance across the organization.
* Implemented first forecasting models and process resulting in accountability tools; sales pipeline, cash forecast, and sales flash report.
* Restructured balance sheet including debt restructuring, new banking relationship, and buy-out of a major shareholder.
* Led conversion to new ERP system integrating order processing, billing, job cost, product P&Ls, and dashboards.
WINTERBERRY GROUP / CDR - New York, NY, Boston, MA Jan 2004 - Jan 2005
Winterberry Group and CDR provide consulting to marketing services and data technology firms.
Performed project work for boutique consulting firms leading to COO position with JLS in 2004. Select engagements:
* Developed a business plan for a $50M direct marketing firm seeking to expand its value chain by adding agency services.
* CFO Marketing for a $500M catalog marketer of leisure tours developing enhanced results reporting for marketing campaigns.
* Managed the search for acquisitions for a $6B European firm evaluating marketing technology companies in the U.S.
* Acting COO for the turn-around of $10M marketing services firm (JLS above).
CPS DIRECT - Woburn, MA May 1994 - Dec 2003
CPS Direct provided integrated multi-media direct marketing solutions for national brands.
Chief Executive Officer (1998 - 2003) / Chief Operating Officer (1995 - 1998) / Chief Financial Officer (1994 - 1995)
Evolved from my role as CFO into taking on all operating responsibilities as COO and CEO during my 10-year tenure. Grew a regional company into a marketing solutions company with a national footprint. Created and drove strategic and operating plans and built new capabilities. Focused on key industry pillars and built a value chain for delivering multi-media one-to-one marketing solutions for major brands. Managed a team of 170 employees. Company's assets were sold to a competitor in 2003.
* Grew net fee revenue from $9M to $25M and gross billings to $100M with profit before tax from a loss to 11% in 2001.
* Built first budgeting and forecasting models, reporting processes, and accountability resulting in managing and driving growth.
* Changed the corporate culture implementing new TQM and recruitment standards raising client retention from 70% to 85%.
* Reorganized and integrated operating groups reducing headcount by 28% while growing revenue and profits.
NATIONAL LEISURE GROUP - Boston, MA Sep 1991 - Apr 1994
National Leisure Group is a multi-channel marketer of leisure travel for licensed brands.
Chief Financial Officer (1992 - 1994) / Corporate Controller (1991 - 1992)
Provided financial leadership during rapid revenue growth from $35M to $100M. Led building and integration of operations, finance, service, and systems for 25 in-store locations and 200 seat call center. Led successful sell-side due diligence supporting the sale of the company in 1994.
* Developed operational work-flow for successful implementation of a new CRM system resulting covering a national footprint.
* Negotiated a new bank and merchant relationship opening a $2M LOC, reducing fraud loss by 75%, and fees 5 basis points.
* Assisted in successful negotiation of licensed brand agreements with two major national retailer chains.
* Created operating plan and business model validation model that supported the deal for sale of the sale of the company.
RAPP COLLINS WORLDWIDE - Boston, MA Jun 1987 - Aug 1991
Part of the Omnicom Group (NYSE:OMC), Rapp Collins provides direct marketing and CRM services.
Vice President, Finance and Operations
Joined the company after finishing graduate school and during Omnicom's consolidation of acquisitions. Charged with building the finance and operations functions for the Boston, MA office with $10M of revenue and integrating systems and processes with corporate in New York. Boston office was sold to Arnold Advertising in 1991.
TEACHING EXPERIENCE IN HIGHER EDUCATION
FISHER COLLEGE Boston MA
Adjunct Faculty, Strategic Management and Organizational Behavior, 2009 2011
EMERSON COLLEGE Boston MA
Adjunct Faculty, Leadership and Management, 2005 2006
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
SUFFOLK UNIVERSITY Boston, MA
M.B.A. and B.S.B.A. Sawyer School of Management, 1986
Strategic Negotiation Program Scotwork USA, Parsippany, NJ, 2013
Entrepreneurial Management Program Babson College, Wellesley, MA, 1994
Business Communication Courses, Harvard University Extension School, 1989 1991