INTERNATIONAL FINANCE EXECUTIVE with expertise in establishing financial infrastructures used to improve operating results and springboard rapid growth. Trilingual (French and Spanish) with hands-on pan-European and Latin American experience. MBA, MS-Taxation, BBA-Accounting, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) active status, and Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA).
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
* International Finance Leadership
* Multi-Site Profitability Management
* Corporate Strategic Planning
* Financial Reporting/Global Consolidations
* US GAAP and IFRS
* Conversion of Local Country GAAP to US GAAP Presentations, and US GAAP to IFRS
* Internal Control Systems
* Budgeting, Forecasting, Cost Control
* Establishment of Finance Infrastructures
* MRP / ERP Installations
* Employee Benefit Programs/ Health Plans
* Proven Problem Solver and Financial Troubleshooter and Change Management
* Free Trade Zone Costa Rica
* Bank Negotiations
SELF-EMPLOYED CONSULTANCY New Mexico
Financial Consultant / Interim Financial Officer 2010 Current
Provide comprehensive financial and administrative management services to companies on a project, short-term assignment and/or on an extended basis. Client engagements have included:
* Commercial Real Estate. A full conversion of US GAAP financial statements to IFRS reporting.
* Global Alternative ERP Support and Maintenance. Sales support and various country research projects related to financial accounting topics (US GAAP and IFRS), transaction taxes and human resources and payroll related issues to assist this company reach deeper into its global network of countries covered for its rapidly expanding customer base.
* Pharmaceutical Development. Chief Financial Officer and Controller. A start-up company that licensed technology from the University of New Mexico focused on developing a stroke therapy product currently in pre-clinical studies. Raised capital and made presentations to investor groups. Built legal and financial infrastructures. Responsible for all accounting, financial reporting, cash management, investor relations, taxes and administration.
* Medical Devices. Worked directly with interim CEO to position company for an acquisition including detailed work with the companys cap table and computing potential proceeds related to this companys various layers of its capital structure.
* SaaS-Medical Software. Interim Controller. Established companys accounting and reporting infrastructure, tax reporting (US and New Mexico), investor interface, and significant work with developing and maintaining the companys cash forecasting model used to manage the business and attract new rounds of investment funding.
* E-Commerce. Advisory board member for this e-commerce company in the retail site section software business. Assisted in bringing the company forward after a negative period.
* Software Development and Data Center Management. Interim CFO providing detailed work on consolidating various entities and targeting bank financing for the acquisition of a data center.
* Boutique Advertising Agency. Interim Controller maintaining all accounting and treasury functions while a new controller was selected and integrated into the organization.
ROYAL PET, LLC. Farmington Hills, Michigan
Controller 2009 2010
Controller for this specialty retail operation (largest franchisee of the Pet Supplies Plus franchise system) with 65 stores and approximately $150 million in revenues in multiple states. Initially brought in to professionalize the accounting, finance and administrative functions of this company in anticipation for a financial transaction (Sold to private equity group in October 2010).
* Raised credibility, utility and accuracy of the companys financial information through an improved accounting and finance function: upgraded staff, installed new information systems, and instituted stronger financial controls and policies and procedures.
* Instituted financial reporting and cost controls impacting operating results positioning the company for future M&A transactions.
* Re-negotiated an $8.0 million line of credit facility. Established solid banking relationships.
* Corrected deficiencies in the companys retirement plan.
* Directed the favorable resolution of various federal, state and local tax issues.
* Reduced outside audit professional fees by 50% after first year.
VIA INFORMATION TOOLS, INC. Troy, Michigan
Vice President and Chief Financial Officer / Consultant 2002 2008
Initially brought in as the interim CFO for this technology company focused on developing software products in the manufacturing execution systems (MES) space and in IT services. Built a strong financial infrastructure that served to double the size of this company within two years.
Business partner and advisor to the companys CEO/founder on strategic matters, ongoing business management and finance issues both domestically and internationally.
* Raised credibility/utility of the companys accounting and finance function; upgraded staff and systems, and instituted financial controls.
* Instituted financial reporting and cost controls impacting operating results, turning around an operating loss to operating profitability.
* Negotiated a $2.5 million line of credit facility and a separate fixed-term financing arrangement. Established excellent banking relationships.
* Created a comprehensive management reporting model used to monitor and manage the companys ongoing business.
* Direct all financial aspects of the companys international subsidiaries in Europe and Central America. Investigated and established the companys first near shore operation within the Free Trade Zone laws of Costa Rica.
* Directed the favorable resolution of various federal, state and local tax issues.
WORLD ONLINE INTERNATIONAL Rotterdam, Netherlands 1999 2001
Director of Finance / Consultant
Brought in as a consultant to assist with the companys ¬2 billion IPO, install management controls, integrate acquisitions, and to assure financial reporting compliance with US GAAP. Assumed the role of Finance Director for this pan-European Internet Service Provider (ISP) with operating units in 16 countries and with over 2 million active subscribers. Charged with improving the quality of information throughout the companys operations, and for troubleshooting and resolving various financial management issues throughout the companys subsidiary operations. Expatriate in Europe.
* Assumed role as interim financial officer for the companys German operations. Coordinated all year-end financial reporting, sub-consolidation and various tax planning matters meeting all previously unreachable reporting deadlines.
* Assisted with compiling and drafting the corporate consolidated financial statements included in the companys prospectus, and interfacing with the independent accountants.
* Provided input as one of three members of the Companys finance committee charged with the responsibility of establishing and implementing corporate policies and procedures.
* Conducted ongoing liaison work with the subsidiaries monitoring operating results.
* Taught revenue recognition principles under SEC Staff Accounting Bulletin No. 101, and International Accounting Standards topics at semi-annual meeting of subsidiary finance directors.
FUTURE MEDICAL SYSTEMS, S.A. Geneva, Switzerland 1997 1999
Vice President of Finance
CFO and corporate controller for this international niche developer of medical equipment with locations in Switzerland, France, Sweden, Italy, The Netherlands and the United States. Responsible primarily for positioning the company for a potential IPO in the United States. Significant hands-on work in Europe The company was later sold to Johnson & Johnson.
* Developed and implemented a comprehensive international financial reporting system that included budgeting, forecasting and periodic performance reviews.
* Prepared worldwide financial reporting. Extensive work with multi-layered, multi-currency consolidations converting local generally accepted accounting principles into US GAAP. Prepared 10-K and 10-Q reports as if the company were publicly traded.
* Took a lead role in establishing the companys Dutch holding company.
THE SINE COMPANIES, INC. Mount Clemens, Michigan 1988 1997
Vice President of Finance & Controller
Directed all aspects of financial management, information systems, employee benefits and risk management for this manufacturer of heavy duty connector products and value-added cable assemblies. Provided strategic and operational financial management during the growth period from $9 million in annual sales with operating losses, to $40 million in annual sales and generating significant profits. Established the companys strategic planning process and served as the annual planning session facilitator for six years that served as a platform to quadruple sales and shareholder value.
* Financed the companys growth entirely with a combination of improved internal cash flow through accounts receivable and inventory management and cost control, increased bank-borrowing limits at improved interest rates. Built solid banking relations.
* ERP/MRP investigation, selection and full integration.
* Led a team that designed award-winning employee benefit programs including a 401(k) plan, group health insurance (with flexible spending), and a corporate wellness program.
ARTHUR ANDERSEN LLP Detroit and Ann Arbor, Michigan 1980 1988
GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION Ypsilanti, Michigan 1977 1980
Cost Accountant/Supervisor of General Accounting
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS
Executive MBA, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
MS, Taxation, Walsh College, Troy, Michigan
BBA, Accounting, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Michigan
Certificate in Foreign Language Study, University of Detroit, Detroit, Michigan
Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
IFRS Certificate of Educational AchievementInternational Financial Reporting StandardsAmerican Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Active Status State of New Mexico, Registered Status State of Michigan
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member
French Professional work experience in France and Switzerland and academic coursework. Advanced level conversation and reading skills; Intermediate writing skills.
Spanish Professional work experience in Costa Rica and ongoing academic coursework. Intermediate to advanced level conversation, reading and writing skills.