THOMAS J. BARRETT, CPA, CFA, CFP® www.linkedin.com/in/thomasjbarrett
Orange County, CA 949.244.1980 firstname.lastname@example.org
Chief Financial Officer with excellent technical skills and very hands-on experience leading accounting, reporting, financial analysis, portfolio management, investor relations, and human resources for a variety of organizations.
CFO and Chief Investment Officer Boulder Ventures Development 2017- current
BVD is a real estate developer with a primary focus on mixed-use multi-family projects and for-sale townhomes, with expertise in acquisitions, entitlements, site planning, construction management and property management. Responsible for financial modeling, pro forma forecasting, tracking community development agreements, banking relationships and raising capital. Leads fund raising, proposing terms and return structures (preferred & waterfall).
* Attracted $4M and $10M in equity capital from two distinct investment groups for new townhome projects.
* Created fund documents, marketing materials and presentation decks for future real estate investment fund.
CFO and Financial Principal Liberty Group, LLC 2015-2017
Managed all accounting functions for complex financial services firm (brokerage, insurance, real estate and legal) with 40 employees and $1 billion in managed assets. Responsibilities included collections from clients and carriers; payments to vendors and representatives, semi-monthly payroll, operational analysis and regulatory reporting.
* Improvements made by upgrading staff, moving to online software (QuickBooks), creating efficient processes.
* Hands-on position monthly closings, bank reconciliations, brokerage statements, and representative payouts.
* Attained a clean opinion on 2016 audit, handled FINRA financial inquiries, and insured proper capital balances.
CFO and Chief Investment Officer Alpha Strategies 2010-2015
Joined entrepreneurial firm to create internal investment and advising capabilities, while managing all financial operations including accounting, taxes, regulatory compliance, administration, and capital raising. Worked with clients to provide asset allocation, portfolio construction, due diligence, and develop new investment products.
* Played instrumental role in successful capital raising for hedge funds and private companies by leading due diligence efforts, creating factsheets, PowerPoint decks, and presenting opportunities to potential investors.
* Created hedge fund for investment banking firms small cap opportunistic trading operations, complete with offering memorandum, marketing materials, and reporting. Systemized and formalized the financial reporting.
* Raised awareness of firms offerings and capabilities by representing the firm at conferences, presenting on conference investment panels, and authoring whitepapers on alternative investments and their related risks.
CFO and Director of Investor Relations Terracotta Group
Directed and executed all accounting, tax, regulatory, and financial reporting for TerraCotta and TCG Distressed Debt Fund (2013 - 2015). Calculated and analyzed investment performance and quarterly distribution allocations, generated quarterly financial reports, and wrote quarterly investment letter. Worked with potential institutional investors to conduct due diligence, provide spreadsheet analysis, and answer accounting/financial questions.
* Accelerated turnaround of TCG Distressed Debt Funds quarterly reporting from one month to one week.
* Attained clean opinions on two annual audits by preparing and leading organization through the audit process.
* Established accountable finance organization by bringing accounting and finance functions in-house, creating implementing new G/L software (QuickBooks), instituting new benefit plans, and bringing all accounts current.
Wealth Advisor & Broker UBS Financial 2007-2010
Recruited by Newport Beachs highest producer with $650M AUM to manage hundreds of investment portfolios. Interfaced with clients to present customized wealth management strategies based on new product research and assessment of client needs, goals, and risk tolerance. Developed and managed the group budget and payout plan.
* Co-managed large-cap growth portfolio of 30 securities and $50M AUM to consistently beat S&P benchmark.
* Maintained assets during 2009 market decline by capturing key high net worth clients from departing brokers and supporting portfolio recovery through reallocations to MLPs, preferred bank stocks, and Mello-Roos bonds.
* Named one of three brokers out of 100 in UBS Newport Beach office with discretionary trading authority.
CFO & Chief Investment Officer Cymric Family Office 2004-2007
Served as the sole investment executive providing comprehensive wealth services for a multi-family RIA. Managed accounting, investment, family and firm insurance, and regulatory/compliance functions. Interfaced directly with families to address investments, taxes, insurance, and estate planning issues. Assessed investment opportunities based on market, economic, and fund research. Prepared 50-page quarterly management reports for each family.
* Optimized portfolio performance through close involvement in the integration of estate plans via structures, gifting strategies, tax strategies, charitable contributions, asset protection, and life insurance.
* Generated efficient and effective investment recommendation presentations by utilizing modern portfolio theory, extensive market research, and sophisticated allocation & tax software programs.
* Assisted families with philanthropic opportunities by personally reviewing grant proposals on their behalf.
Chief Investment Officer Arnel & Affiliates 1998-2003
Promoted from hire as Chief Financial Officer in one year to manage $1B in liquid assets and Investment Division of family office for George Argyros, real estate billionaire and former U.S. Ambassador to Spain. Managed $150M portfolio invested in hedge fund strategies, private equity buyouts, venture, and public securities. Co-managed $70M fund of funds portfolio with 50 high net worth outside investors. Screened investment managers and made allocation, fund and investment recommendations. Researched concentrated position diversification strategies.
* Generated most efficient investment returns possible by collaborating with Director of Tax to calculate tax consequences from real estate and private equity deals, and making necessary changes to the liquid portfolio.
* Maintained investment income levels and met capital calls throughout all market environments including the technology market decline through careful cash management and the liquidation of all technology exposures.
* Influenced Chapman Universitys investment decisions as Mr. Argyros investment committee representative.
CFO & Financial Principal Payden & Rygel 1995-1998
Promoted from Corporate Controller to manage bond firms 20 mutual funds. Managed SEC and FINRA reporting as Series 27 registrant. Administered pension, deferred compensation, and insurance programs. Contributed to annual bonus & compensation discussions and decisions. Interfaced with large institutional clients to address and resolve reporting and billing issues. Responded to potential investor queries as member of the due diligence team.
* Established standard financial operations by creating majority of companys financial and regulatory reports, building accounting team, processing payroll, selecting fund transfer agent, and hiring back office administrator.
* Ensured firm met objectives of insurance programs by conducting annual testing and proposing adjustments.
* Contributed to launch of multiple bond mutual funds as an active participant in mutual fund B.O.D. meetings.
Manager, Finance & Administration Marine Spill Response Corp. 1990-1995
An environmental firm formed with a $1 billion commitment from the major oil firms after the Exxon Valdez spill.
* As one of the initial managers, played a significant role in developing accounting, administrative, procurement, human resource policies & procedures, and oil spill response structures for the new organization.
* Directly administered regional human resource activities, which involved interviews, evaluations and benefits.
* Managed the daily operations in accounting and procurement for SW Region with $20 million annual budget.
Chief Financial Officer GMD Realty Investment 1986-1990
Real estate investment firm owning and managing 15 apartment complexes throughout the Southern United States.
* Successfully implemented centralization of financial functions for 15 properties in 5 states, restructuring and improving the accounting system by updating the firms computer system and automating payroll procedures.
* Closely involved with financial analysis, pro-forma projections, and property closings of apartment acquisitions.
* Participated in settlement of assets and liabilities, office closing and staff layoffs through the firm's bankruptcy.
Senior Auditor Grant Thornton Intl. 1984-1986
Reviewed financial statements and internal controls of a variety of clients to insure the proper application of GAAP.
* Ensured compliance with established internal control procedures by examining records, reports, operating practices, and documentation. Verified assets and liabilities by comparing details to the proper documentation.
* Appraised the adequacy of internal control systems by interviewing management and reviewing procedures.
* Supervised and trained junior auditors, while managing multiple audits, partners, and clients simultaneously.
Consultant / Volunteer
As the lead consultant, managed the initial Sarbanes-Oxley projects for Jefferson Wells that detailed the financial operations for Apria Healthcare, AMN Healthcare, and Guitar Center. (Nine months from 2003 - 2004)
As a consultant, established private family office for a new billionaire. Authored the initial business plan, investment policies, and due diligence procedures. Set-up proper accounting and systemized reporting. (Three months in 2014)
Served as the Treasurer (2007 - 2009) and a board member (2007 - 2011) for the Orange County CFA Society.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
University of Virginia (Charlottesville, Va.) B.S. in Accounting
CPA: Certified Public Acct. (CA #64953, 1993)
CMA: Certified Mgmt. Acct. (#11937, 1993)
CFA: Chartered Financial Analyst (#34119, 1999)
CFP®: Cert. Financial Planner (#125739, 2007)
FINRA: Series 7, 66, 28 and 79 (investment banking)
Life Insurance: CA #OF57191, 2007 (expired)
AREAS OF EXPERTISE INCLUDE:
* Accounting & Auditing * Financial Reporting & Budgeting * Investor Relations
* Policies & Procedures * Financial Analysis & Modeling * Risk Management
* Strategic Planning * Portfolio Creation & Results * SEC/Tax Reporting
* Internal Controls * Human Resources * Real Estate
* Management * Communication * Excel & QuickBooks