Senior-level executive with broad finance, accounting, tax, international, and M&A experience in diverse industries including franchising, energy, fertilizer, public accounting, and non-profit. Progressive leadership experience with all types of organizations from a private equity-held company to large global multi-billion dollar companies to publicly traded companies to non-profits. Demonstrated ability to work with all segments of an organization to drive growth, improve operations, maximize profits, and create efficiencies through streamlined business processes. Possess solid strategic leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills to collaboratively work with CEOs, boards of directors, and all levels of management and staff. Excellent qualifications in business planning, financial management, financial controls, change management, and team building.
01/2006 to Present
THE DWYER GROUP (Franchising)
Vice President of Finance
Manage a team of 17 people responsible for all of The Dwyer Groups finance and accounting functions including corporate finance, banking relationships, accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash management, risk management, internal reporting, external reporting, financial planning & analysis, and merger & acquisitions. Under my leadership the department is a valued service provider to the company and a strategic partner with our internal and external customers. Served in the same capacity as Director of Finance until title changed to VP of Finance in March 2014.
- Led the financial diligence effort for the company in two private equity exits (company sold in 2014 and 2010)
- Defined the vision and rebuilt the finance organization to better serve the strategic and operational needs of the company (17 separate and distinct operating units and financials, including 3 foreign entities)
- Developed strategic relationships and initiatives across the functional and operational areas of the company
- Directed merger and acquisition activities with the private equity partner and the integration of the acquisitions into the companys financial and operational systems
- Negotiated and conducted the 2014 acquisition of a German master licensee
- Improved controls and procedures to ensure accurate/timely consolidated financial reporting for 17 distinct units
- Improved financial and business analysis capabilities by upgrading personnel and training current personnel
- Implemented improved budgeting and forecasting systems and processes
- Instituted monthly financial reviews with all franchise concept presidents and department/unit heads
- Developed and implemented transfer pricing methodologies for foreign operations
- Presented at the 2012 and 2015 International Franchise Association (IFA) Conventions
06/2002 to 01/2006
Individual CPA Firm
Owned and operated my Certified Public Accountant and Financial Planning practice by assisting individuals, businesses, and nonprofits with their accounting, financial analysis, tax, and business and financial planning needs.
Owner of Waco Comfort Keepers Franchise (June 2002 until August 2003)
Owned and operated a Comfort Keepersfranchise providing non-medical in-home care for the elderly and disabled. Managed all phases of the business, including the human resources, client relationships, advertising, marketing, networking, sales, accounting, bank financing, insurance, and business strategy.
02/2000 to 06/2002
SAINT ALBERT CATHOLIC SCHOOLS
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Director of Operations and Finance
Managed a team responsible for all operational and financial functions of the K-12 school system. Collaborated on
fundraising, public relations, and recruitment with school administration, the school board, the foundation board, and various board subcommittees. Managed the development of a facilities master plan for the school system and worked with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to deal with a flood-damaged facility and plan construction to replace lost square footage.
11/1998 to 01/2000
HIGH PLAINS CORPORATION (Ethanol Producer)
Chief Financial Officer and Vice President
Led a team responsible for all of High Plains Corporations finance and accounting functions including corporate finance, banking relationships, payroll, employee benefits, information systems, accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash management, risk management, internal reporting, external reporting, budgeting, and merger and acquisition analysis. Restructured the companys debt to put the company on a firm financial footing.
06/1997 to 11/1998
KOCH INDUSTRIES, INC. (Multinational Conglomerate)
Director, Corporate Finance
Managed a team responsible for Koch Industries, Inc.s capital structure, capital management framework, AA+ credit rating, bank and rating agency relationships, debt compliance, and the education of the organization on these topics. Led a team conducting the merger and acquisition and financing execution for Koch on a joint venture with Inventory Management and Distribution Company. Negotiated and syndicated a $1.8 billion revolving credit facility.
04/1996 to 04/1997
ARCADIAN CORPORATION (Nitrogen Fertilizer Manufacturer)
Director, Corporate Finance
Responsible for Arcadian Corporations capital structure; debt, equity, and project financings; investigation and analysis of mergers and acquisitions; management of interest rate and liquidity risks; management of banking and credit rating agency relationships; development of other financial strategies for the corporation.
- Restructured and refinanced Arcadians $525 million of debt
- Implemented $100 million Common Stock repurchase program ($36.5 million completed)
- Evaluated and assisted in the execution of the $1 billion merger of Arcadian Corporation with Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc.
- Negotiated financing terms with the International Finance Corporation and Pequiven (Venezuelas Petrochemical Company) for proposed ammonia and urea fertilizer plants in Jose, Venezuela ($1 billion project)
03/1988 to 04/1996
PANENERGY CORP (Natural Gas Transmission)
Manager of Corporate Finance, Treasury (1995 to 1996)
Managed a team responsible for developing and implementing financial strategies for the corporation, and managing relationships with banks, rating agencies, and investment banks. Developed new strategies to manage PanEnergys liquidity and interest rate risk. Collaborated on the financings and strategic alternatives for international and domestic projects. Coordinated with partners in obtaining Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) insurance for a project in Peru.
Senior Financial Analyst, Treasury (1992 to 1995)
Supervisor, General Accounting, Accounts Payable (1991 to 1992)
Accountant, Accounting Systems (1988 to 1991)
EDUCATION, MEMBERSHIPS, and AWARDS
Master of Business Administration, University of Houston, 1991
Bachelor of Business Administration, Finance, Texas A&M University, 1985
Bachelor of Business Administration, Business Analysis, Texas A&M University, 1985
Certified Public Accountant, Texas, 1992
Chartered Global Management Accountant, 2014
Certified Franchise Executive, 2012
The Dwyer Group Team Specialist of the Year for 2013
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants member
Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants member
Catholic Charities of Central Texas Board Member (Treasurer 2013-Present) 2009-Present
Greater Waco Chamber of Commerce Board Member 2012-Present
Leadership Waco Program 2004-2005 & Leadership Council Bluffs Program 2001-2002
Past President of a Waco Chapter of Business Network International
Past Treasurer of Waco Sunrise Rotary Club
Financial Executives Institute, Board of Directors member for the Wichita Chapter 1999-2000