CONSULTANT with Operations, Marketing and turn-around expertise. Hands-on experience PLANT OPERATIONS, LEAN MANUFACTURING, MARKET ANALYSIS, PRODUCT MANAGEMENT, PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT. Experience across various industries with positions as Business Manager, V.P. Operations, Plant Manager, Division Marketing Manager, Product Manager, Quality Manager, Consultant.
MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT & FORMER DIVISION GENERAL MANAGER OR CHIEF EXECUTIVE
(Looking for FULL-TIME and Greater Challenge)
Exceptional Leader, Trainer and Communicator with bilingual English/Spanish skills enabling effective dialogue across all levels of the organization. Highly competent in Industry and Competitive Analysis and Strategy Development. Excels at Lean Manufacturing implementation and leading turn-arounds involving transformations to world-class performance. Accomplished at improving profitability by aligning an organization, leading transformational change, raising employee productivity and making companies run more efficient and effective front office and shop floor operations. This is achieved using a multi-discipline and multi-level approach to comprehensive business improvement in the firm?s processes, infrastructure, controls, strategy and culture.
CLAREMONT GRADUATE UNIVERSITY: MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT, STRATEGY
MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY: B.S. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
MIT SLOAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT: B.S. MANAGEMENT, INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
? Finance & Investments ? Financial Controls & Cost Accounting ? ERP/MRP Systems ? Human Resource Management ? Manufacturing Management ? Just-In-Time (JIT) methods ? Production & Inventory Control ? Kanban systems ? Product Management ? Maquiladoras ? Marketing Segmentation ? Brand Management ? Problem-Solving techniques ? IP Law ? Quality Function Deployment (QFD) ? Design For Manufacturability and Assembly (DFMA)
? Six Sigma ? Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) ? ISO/TQM Quality Systems ? Injection Molding ? Stamping/Punch Press ? Tool Room ? Assembly ? Metal Fabrication ? Powder Coating ? Zinc Die Casting ? Chemical Processing ? Machining/CNC ? Woodshop
2011 Present: Kaiser Permanente, Involved in localized and enterprise wide Business Process Management, Lean Implementation and Transformational Change Management.
2009 ? Present: Business Consultant, George S. May International Co.
Management and Business Consultant to businesses across North America. Focus is on immediate turn-around and improvement in Cash Position, Cost Control, Operational Efficiency, Business Processes and Revenue Enhancement. Clients include manufacturing and services companies from various industries, as well as legal, medical and veterinary P.C. firms.
2006 ? 2008: Delivered bilingual consulting services in Lean Manufacturing, Cost Reduction & Human Resource Management to manufacturer of modular office systems. Implemented Lean Mfg. and other plant & office infrastructure systems improvements and trained 180 Spanish and English speaking employees from shop-floor personnel to executive staff. Also provided ERP support, development of Cost Accounting & Financial Controls, Competitive Market Analysis and M&A Strategic Planning.
2005 ? 2006: Lean Mfg. consultant to OEM manufacturer of telecom sheet metal products.
2004 ? 2005: V.P. OPERATIONS, Drill Bushings Manufacturer, CA. Recruited to assist the 77 year-old owner with efforts aimed at cost reduction, infrastructure development and business process re-engineering.
1998 ? 2004: Division PLANT GENERAL MGR, Fenestration Hardware, CA.
Managed hardware division comprised of products marketed primarily to North American manufacturers of residential & commercial doors and windows. Oversaw integration of this acquired division and initially served as the Division Marketing Manager.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ACHIEVEMENTS:
· Turned-around this faltering division and served as CHANGE AGENT and LEADER of this division?s Lean Enterprise Transformation involving cultural, organizational, business systems and infrastructure development.
· Responsible for OPERATIONS PERFORMANCE, BUDGET DEVELOPMENT and Division profitability. Intimate involvement with Cost Accounting, Activity Based Costing, Financial Reporting, Metrics Development, Capital Budgeting and ERP Implementation
· Supervised, coached and mentored a staff of four direct reports, after flattening the organization from eleven direct reports, while concurrently reducing the total workforce by 25% with no reduction in production and revenues.
· Implemented initiatives in Lean Manufacturing, ERP, Cost Accounting and Total Quality practices resulting in increased operator PRODUCTIVITY to 88% from 65%; Reduced LABOR VARIANCE to 5% from 28%; Increased shop order DUE DATE PERFORMANCE to 96% from 54%; ON-TIME SHIPMENTS to 98% from 82% with concurrent decrease in LEAD-TIME from 3-6 weeks to 1-3 weeks; Subcontract VENDOR PERFORMANCE to 96% from 40%; Reduced WIP by 80% and total INVENTORY by 36%; improved SAFETY performance and reduced OSHA Reportables by 75% and Workers Comp. Payments by 90%; achieved a 29% improvement in VALUE-ADDED per Employee and 33% improvement in SALES PER EMPLOYEE. Increased Return on Sales to about 15% from less than -2% ROS two years prior.
· Managed the division?s three product lines and doubled profitability and sales penetration
· Directed NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, from definition of market requirements to product launch and product rationalization.
· Researched and developed marketing specifications for this firm?s entry into a new product category, representing this firm?s single biggest new product development effort in 47 years.
· Actively Lead MULTI-FUNCTIONAL PROJECT TEAMS including design engineers, manufacturing engineers, quality engineers, operations personnel and marketing staff.
· Attended trade shows, participated in sales calls, conducted sales force product training, etc.
1997 ? 1998: DIV. PRODUCT MANAGER, Fluids Controls & Pump Products, CA. Managed distributor sales and performance and product development.
Fluid controls product sales to the semiconductor industry quadrupled within eighteen months after launch of new products developed under my direction.
1996 ? 1997: PLANT MANAGER, Orthodontics Manufacturer, CA.
I was recruited to consult on and investigate manufacturing challenges at the Mexicali, Mexico maquila operation. I was later offered the Plant GM position reporting to the President.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ACHIEVEMENTS:
· Managed overall plant administrative & manufacturing operations.
· Increased throughput, reduced backlog and de-bottlenecked processes.
· Trouble-shot and in a matter of weeks solved flaws in core plant technical processes leading to improved product quality and enhanced competitiveness in the market. These process flaws had been detected but were insolvable for nearly a year prior to my involvement.
· Assessed and Reformulated compensation structure throughout the plant and implemented HR programs that increased morale and reduced turnover to <1.5% from 6% per month.
· Lead re-engineering of the Quality department and increased employee quality awareness, leading to an 83% reduction in final product reject levels (from 10.8% to <1.9%).
1987 ? 1995: OWNER, FOUNDER AND BUS. MGR. of small firm in San Antonio, TX.
Owner and General Manager of this multi-million dollar vertically integrated MULTI-STORE firm that provided retail products & services to eight military installations in five states via GOVERNMENT AGENCY CONTRACTS. The firm also participated in local wholesale activities.
1985 - 1986: PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT AND QUALITY MGR, La Mesa, Mexico. Recruited by a client to join start-up magnetic tape manufacturing company in Mexico.
1983 - 1985: SALES ENGINEER/TECHNICAL SALES REPRESENTATIVE, Hercules Incorporated, Wilmington, Delaware. $50MM specialty chemicals SBU within a $3.2 Billion Corporation.
Trained in formulating and processing coatings used in magnetic media. Reported to the SBU Manager of Technical Support and Quality Assurance. Territory included Mexico & So. America. Participated in numerous QUALITY ASSURANCE initiatives and served as the business unit's coordinator of a TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER AGREEMENT in a bid to establish a videotape manufacturing plant in Taiwan. Visited clients, conducted plant trials, developed technical bulletins, performed statistical process analyses.
College Internships 1979-1982:
· PROCTOR & GAMBLE, Cinn. OH. Product Development Engineer ? synthetic detergents.
· XEROX CORP., Webster, NY. Research Associate ? semiconductor development.
· DuBois Chemicals, Industry, CA. Lab Technician ? batch formulations & quality assurance.
At MIT in addition to completing two B.S. degrees in 4½ years, I participated for 2½ years in the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program in Chemical Engineering. My research in the field of Coal Gasification (SYNTHETIC FUELS) led to a Thesis on The Molecular Weight Characterization of Tars Produced from Coal Pyrolysis.
Also, with a strong personal interest in BIOLOGY and several courses taken in biology and ORGANIC CHEMISTRY, I participated in the design of a BIO-MEDICAL DEVICE (palm-size bio-chemical reactor) for the removal of heparin from the blood during dialysis and other medical procedures. This work later led to MIT patents and commercialization of the device. I have the ability to enter new industries and quickly learn product lines, applications and markets, and in short order contribute to the organization.