Information Systems Executive with a thorough understanding of all aspects of the business application development and delivery lifecycle. Proven track record of building, mentoring, and motivating a highly effective and efficient application delivery staff. Managed staff of up to 70 software architects and engineers, project managers, and consultant subject-matter experts with annual budgets of up to $40M. Hands-on problem solver with demonstrated ability to forge collaborative working relationships with customers, peers, and management. Areas of experience include:
Business Systems Strategy & Planning
Business Process Analysis
Software Development Lifecycle
Content/Document/Knowledge Management Technology
Integation Technology - EAI / SOA
ERP – Peoplesoft/SAP
Hampton and Associates, La Verne CA 2006-Present
Independent consulting engagements. Current engagement: to develop and deliver an internal Portal, Content & Document Management strategy and implementation roadmap for a fast-growing, multi-national provider of IT and business process outsourcing services for Fortune 500 companies.
The Walt Disney Company, Burbank CA 1991 – 2005
Vice President, Enterprise IT Transformation Planning, 2005-2005
Vice President, Enterprise Application Services, 2000-2005
Vice President, Human Resource and Benefits Systems, 1997-2000
Director, Human Resource and Benefits Systems, 1993-1996
Manager, Human Resource and Benefits Systems, 1991-1993
IT Transformation Planning
• Directed project to transition over 400 staff into new positions resulting from internal restructuring of Disney’s Enterprise IT organization in conjunction with a major IT services outsourcing initiative.
Enterprise Application Services (Application-oriented Shared Services)
• Directed implementation of the J2EE-based Disney Enterprise Portal (DEP), supplying critical content and web-based application functionality to 120,000+ Disney employees and thousands of Disney business partners worldwide. Enabled consolidation of more than 600 standalone internal websites resulting in $2M annual savings and drastically reduced costs for delivering new web-based content (up to $30k per website).
• Established an enterprise-level Document Management (DM) shared service based on Hummingbird DM software, consolidating multiple instances of the system across the company, increasing user adoption by more than 20,000 and reducing cost per DM application by 50%.
• Established Enterprise Application Integration (EAI) Competency Center that introduced EAI into Disney IT environment.
o Developed standards and assisted Disney business units with integration architecture design
o Initiated and executed a program improvement project with webMethods resulting in selection of their product (webMethods Integration Server) as the standard integration tool for Disney’s enterprise SAP deployment, entailing more than 1,100 application interfaces and reducing overall integration costs by 30%
o Re-negotiated license agreement resulting in more than $200k annual savings in maintenance fees
Human Resource and Benefits Systems
• Acted as primary HR/Benefits systems technical consultant and strategist for major strategy/policy decisions:
o Employee Benefits outsourcing analysis and execution planning/delivery, resulting in successful outsourcing of Benefits administration to Hewitt
o Disney’s enterprise “back of house” IT strategy resulting in the selection of SAP ERP and consolidation of 13 divisional HRMS and Payroll systems
o Numerous Benefits plan additions and changes including hourly 401k, Employee Stock Purchase, post-retirement medical, and flexible spending accounts
• Directed planning and execution of $15M year-2000 remediation effort for portfolio of 25 HR/Benefits systems, including validation of over 30 major Benefits service providers and business contingency planning.
• Championed and lead the design and deployment of Disney’s first planned HR systems architecture.
o Worked with HR executives to develop objectives, principles, and requirements
o Prepared business case, acquired funding, oversaw development/deployment
o Supported business unit projects teams implementing divisional HRMS systems, including SAP, PeopleSoft, and Oracle, ensuring integration with enterprise-wide HR systems architecture and compliance with Corporate employee data collection policies
• Participated as the technical leader on Group Insurance and Pension process re-engineering projects, resulting in implementation of Managed Care and Provider Network programs (reducing annual Group Insurance cost increases by 5%) and Pension process optimization (e.g., reducing benefit estimates from 4+ wks to 24 hrs).
• Directed implementation of numerous HR applications, both off-the-shelf and custom developed, including PeopleSoft HRMS, Stock Options Administration, Foreign Nationals Tracking database, Job Posting, Tuition Reimbursement, Domestic/International Relocation, and Applicant Tracking (Resumix).
• Managed support of mainframe-based, enterprise-wide Employee Benefits systems, including Group Insurance (supporting 30+ claims processors paying claims of over $120M annually), Flexible Benefits, Pension, 401k, and Stock Options.
Hub Distributing, Inc. (dba Miller’s Outpost Stores), Ontario CA 1980 – 1991
Specialty apparel retailer selling fashion merchandise across the Southwest U.S. The company grew from ~70 California-based stores in 1980 to 400+ stores doing business in 6 states by 1990. Annual sales reached $400M, total employees reached 12,000. Technology evolution was IBM System 3 to HP-3000 mini computer to IBM 30XX series mainframe.
Project Manager, 1983-1991
Sr. Programmer Analyst, 1980-1983
Merchandising and Distribution Systems
• Implemented 3 versions of mission-critical Merchandise Distribution System as the company grew and distribution requirements became more complex. Early versions were developed in-house, final version was a software package (Merchandise Management Systems) implementation.
• Managed the design, development and implementation of the company’s Price Change Control and Promotional Price Change Control systems.
• Lead the technology component of a Shrinkage Control evaluation and remediation project.
Human Resource and Financial Systems
• Directed project team to define, customize as necessary, and implement a Human Resource Information System based on McCormack & Dodge Payroll, Personnel, Benefits and Position Control modules. Project sponsored by Hub’s Corporate parent to meet the needs of its 8 US-based operating companies running out of 3 data centers nationwide.
• Managed support of Hub’s Financial systems, including General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Sales Audit, Point of Sale and Retail Stock Ledger systems.
Positive Systems, Santa Monica CA Project Leader 1979-1980
Distributor of Hewlett Packard computers and provider of software development services.
Merchandise Control Systems
• Developed Merchandise Control System requirements and developed programming specifications for Hub Distributing, Inc.
• Developed Merchandise Distribution System for Motherhood Maternity Shops.
BA, English, California State University, Los Angeles