SIGNIFICANT GLOBAL EXPERIENCE IN:
· Global Operations & Sales
· Strategic Planning
· Consumer and B2B Marketing
· Best Practices & Business Processes
· Acquisitions/JV Agreements
· Innovation leadership
2006 – Present
GLOBAL SPECIALTY INGREDIENT COMPANY WITH SALES EXCEEDING $1 BILLION
GLOBAL VICE PRESIDENT OF MARKETING AND INNOVATION 2009 – Present
Serve as Chief Marketing Officer, Head of Research and Development and also lead the company’s four strategic growth businesses globally. Global P&L responsibility for over $250 million sales, with operating budget of $30 million and staff of 125 reports.
* Organized the Marketing and R&D functions globally, ensuring that business strategies are articulated, coordinated to deliver maximum effectiveness & return, and implemented in manner consistent with brand values. Developed 5 year strategic plan and agenda. Growth of Strategic platforms outpaced core business by 200% in 2009.
* Lead the development of a comprehensive technology strategy, focused on six strategic platforms with pipeline of new products with future sales value of $120 MM per year. Delivered 25% increase in new product sales in first year.
Conceived and lead initiate to define brand values and reposition the company to customers, employees and would-be investors.
* Created intranet-based learning center providing global sales, marketing and technical service functions with single place to acquire understanding of product propositions and business development tools.
* Re-engineered new product development and commercialization practices to deliver new product introductions with excellence. Implemented best practices in value proposition development, strategic planning and marketing communications.
* Shaping an innovation culture, developing tools that enable business getting, building excellence in research, development and marketing.
VICE PRESIDENT AND GENERAL MANAGER, NORTH AMERICA 2006 – 2009
Responsible for managing the North America business, the largest division in the company with sales in excess of $400 million and staff of 200 direct reports. Full P&L responsibility with direct oversight of regional sales, marketing, research & development, and financial functions, and indirect oversight of operations. Also lead three of the four global strategic platforms and served as defacto global head of marketing.
* Increased sales by over 30% and operating line profit by 125% over two year period through combination pricing, organic and new product growth – achieving the highest profit increase of any division on both dollar value and percent basis.
* Developed and led customer segmentation based on financial attractiveness and needs. Implemented cost-to-serve program achieving over $600,000 in annual savings.
* Trimmed and refocused innovation pipeline on bigger, bolder ideas while increasing the value of the pipeline by $25 million. Implemented a comprehensive process for resource allocation.
* Re-vamped compensation plan for the sales force to refocus on account profitability and customer value.
* Led development of long term strategies for three of four global innovation platforms, mapping plans for double digit profitable growth.
* Championed the implementation of best practices in Sales & Operations Planning, Quality Assurance, Marketing and Marketing Communications.
* Developed digital strategy, created internal portal and currently pioneering on-line training for customer facing teams.
* Formed global leadership team to develop and drive a global marketing agenda. Initial accomplishments include developing a new and differentiating positioning for the National Starch brand and a global digital strategy.
2004 – 2006
LARGE PUBLIC UNIVERSITY LOCATED IN THE MIDWEST
ASSOCIATE VICE CHANCELLOR FOR RESEARCH
Recruited to market the university’s capabilities to business and industry, forge strategic partnerships and foster economic development in the university’s Research Park.
* Represented the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research with campus development, faculty and individual colleges in securing multi-million dollar research grants from leading corporations.
* Worked with the external developer to identify and attract business venture to the Research Park. Instrumental in securing 3 major companies to open research facilities in the park.
* Led cross campus faculty committee to develop long term strategic research plan for developing sustainable energy, environment and living.
* Assisted campus departments in developing strategies and plans for marketing their technology capabilities to business and industry.
* Commissioned external research and developed marketing strategy to uniquely position and communicate the University’s technology offerings to business and industry.
1999 – 2003
GLOBAL AGRIPROCESSING COMPANY BASED IN MIDWEST
2002 – 2003
CORPORATE VICE PRESIDENT, GLOBAL MARKETING & EXTERNAL RELATIONS
Chief Marketing Officer, accountable for global corporate image, business-to-business, brand marketing and public relations. Managed an annual budget of $40 million with 18 direct reports in US and Europe.
* Developed novel and compelling new corporate image advertising campaign that repositioned the company as an innovator. Significantly improved corporate image with stakeholders contributing to 60% increase in stock value.
* Conceived and led the creation of a central corporate marketing function to develop strategy based marketing plans. Directed all marketing initiatives including advertising, public relations, market research, Internet and e-business marketing across all company divisions globally.
* Centralized marketing activities from over twenty global divisions into a single zero-based budget realizing savings of $8 million in the first year.
* Developed a global umbrella business-to business advertising and marketing program that incorporated products from nine separate divisions into a common architecture and message.
* Championed food ingredient/commodity sales to the Republic of Cuba that exceeded $250 million and established company as #1 exporter of all US goods to Cuba. Developed legal strategies and obtained US government approval to import novel drug/supplement. Conducted negotiations and strategy discussions with President Fidel Castro and other key government officials on numerous occasions.
* Director on the JV Board between comapny and Japanese consumer products giant. Led the development of the business plan, marketing and positioning strategies for novel healthy cooking oil. Achieved #1 selling position in oil category after only 6 months in test market.
* Created a central external relations function and developed company policies on critical food & trade issues. Represented company to media, government officials and trade organizations on key business and policy matters.
* Led company initiative in establishing strategic alliance with leading midwestern state university to pioneer new technologies in agriculture and encourage more students to pursue careers in agribusiness.
1999 – 2002
PRESIDENT, HEALTH & NUTRITION DIVISIONS
Led all aspects of operations and management for five operating divisions with global sales exceeding $600 million per year. Held complete P&L responsibility; oversaw 700 employees with 115 direct reports.
* Developed 3-year strategic & business plans for company’s nutraceutical and soy foods divisions. Created & implemented unique branding strategies for marketing nutraceutical ingredients to the food and supplement industries. Significantly increased market share and maximized profitability in a declining market.
* Introduced and implemented key business practices to the division and company including strategic planning, operations management, performance development, 3rd generation R&D practices and statistical quality control programs.
* Significantly improved customer service and product quality, reduced inventory and shortened development timeline. Named top supplier for ‘nutraceutical’ ingredients in customer surveys conduted by leading food industry magazine in December 2002 and again 2003.
* Created ingredient consumer brands and pioneered strategic alliance with leading non-profit organization to uniquely promote those brands. Secured #1 share of isoflavone supplement market, with over 125 brand partners. Received national award in 2003 for one of best mobile marketing programs.
* Key negotiator and champion in forming joint venture with multi-national Japanese consumer products company that manufactured and marketed novel ‘healthy’ cooking oil globally.
* Championed the development of patent-pending technologies to produce industry leading quality soy-based meat, pasta and dairy analog products.
* Established a Scientific Advisory Council with leading external medical/scientific experts to ensure scientific integrity on product and claim strategies and advise on clinical test protocols.
* Led the Corporate Team that defined a new corporate mission and statement of principles. Developed award-winning new corporate image advertising targeting investors and influencers.
* Represented company publicly to Wall Street investors, government officials, trade organizations and other stakeholders on key business issues and strategies.
* Elected Corporate Officer after nine months with company with expanded responsibilities to include multiple and international operating divisions.
1980 – 1999
PROVATELY HELD GLOBAL FOOD COMPANY
Held variety of positions over 19 years with $20 billion global foods company with leading snack, food and petcare brands.
1995 – 1999
VICE PRESIDENT, MARKETING AND RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT, FOODS DIVISION
Key member of the Management Team that developed and implemented a comprehensive turnaround strategy, with 60 direct reports in US and Canada. Responsible for technology development, marketing and brand strategy across North American Region for foods group. P&L responsibility for nearly $ 200 million in US Retail sales.
* Drove the formation of a strategic alliance that extended business into frozen meals. Led the development and demonstrated $150+ million in sales potential in regional test before launching nationally. Products were recognized as one of the top four new product introductions in 2000 and achieved sales of over $200 million in 2001.
* Consolidated operations, closing 50-year-old plant and relocating corporate offices. Reduced operating costs by $18 million while doubling sales over a three-year period.
* Established a new and separate business unit and created the first national 100% certified organic foods brand. Developed brand strategy and launched products into 5 categories exceeding $10 million in sales within first three years.
* Developed a new advertising campaign that repositioned the old brand as modern and contemporary increasing market share for first time in over 10 years. The campaign was so successful it was adopted internationally. Launched successful Ethnic, Direct Mail campaigns and one of the first food web sites.
* Developed and launched over 50 new products/packs, including innovative new products, line extensions and specials packs supporting the Retail, Foodservice and Export businesses. Obtained two patents for new rice based products and processing technology.
* Conceived and championed formation of a corporate-wide functional foods research council. Led a global crop-breeding program with Chinese government. Championed the development of a corporate-wide biotechnology strategy.
1994 – 1995
CORPORATE TECHNICAL STAFF OFFICER, SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE
Corporate staff role supporting confectionery, pet care and main meals food businesses in South America, Australia, New Zealand and Southeast Asia. Reported directly to the CEO.
* Interfaced between Mars, Inc. CEO’s and senior unit management on all issues regarding Manufacturing, Safety, Quality and Research & Development.
* Oversaw the installation and startup of new concept confectionery business in Northern Brazil. Assisted local senior management in selecting 20-hectare site near Sao Paulo for state-of-art pet food and sauce manufacturing complex.
* Approved and tracked all capital expenditures, which typically exceeded $80 million per year in regions of responsibility.
* Ensured adoption and compliance with company safety and environmental programs and standards.
* Drove selected global technology development programs and facilitated communication and coordination of resources.
1991 – 1994
DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, FOODS DIVISION
Key member of team of senior managers responsible for overseeing all aspects of business operations to deliver yearly operating plan objectives. Responsible for development of technology platforms, new products & line extensions, and cost/quality improvements supporting US Retail, Foodservice and International divisions.
* Pioneered the development and implantation of innovation process that reduced time-to-market by over 30%, while increasing launch success rate.
* Developed and launched over 75 new products over three-year period. Led the development of new flavor delivery technology for rice side dishes that fundamentally reduced the cost of production.
* Implemented and managed annual cost improvement programs that realized average of $ 1 million per year in improvements to marginal income.
1988 – 1991
R&D MANAGER, NEW PRODUCTS & TECHNOLOGIES, UK BASED SNACK DIVISION
Key member of a multi-national team that developed new ice cream, drink and frozen savory snack businesses with sales exceeding £90 million per year with 15 direct reports.
* Senior member of the start up team responsible of $25 million state-of-the-art Greenfield ice cream manufacturing plant in Northern France with specific responsibilities for product & process design, and quality assurance. Plant started on time and within budget.
* Developed over 30 new products and line extensions for ice cream, frozen savory and diary drinks.
* Responsible for managing production at as many as five external manufacturing sites. Developed savory snacks and dairy drinks.
B.S. Chemical Engineering
Aspen Institute for Leadership, Aspen, Colorado
Chairman of Board for 10 year biotech company focused on health & wellness industry based in Northern California area
Director on board of privately owned mid-sized specialty food manufacturing/distribution located in New England
Director and Volunteer of American Heart Association Affiliate