Senior Business Executive with proven success in delivering revenue and profit growth in a highly competitive and mature global industry. Extensive global sales, marketing, and product development leadership experience. Maximizes organization talent to deliver short and long term financial goals. Cultivates successful business partnerships that lead to new business opportunities. Strategist who uses collaborative and analytical skills to craft customized innovative solutions to market and product challenges. Proven abilities in building organizations, adapting business models to business realities, and seeking, evaluating and capitalizing on new product and acquisition opportunities. Capabilities in:
* Strategy Development
* Portfolio Management
* Organizational Development
* Business Planning
* Acquisitions/Joint Ventures
* Channel Development
* Business Operations
* Commercial Management
* Product Licensing
* Financial Management
* Product Development
* Global relations
* Achieved global industry ranking in top three for profitability as a % of sales.
* Grew international sales 250% and profitability from breakeven to 20+% of sales.
* Developed and executed a seed treatment business strategy achieving a market leader position.
* Built and developed an entrepreneurial, marketing focused global organization with local accountability and record of sustained profitable performance.
* Drove numerous acquisition, joint venture and licensing opportunities.
A large specialty chemical company with sales of $3.5B
Vice President & General Manager Crop Protection 2006 – June 2007
Reported to the EVP responsible for the Crop Protection and the Consumer Products Divisions and the general management of the Plastics Additives Division with combined sales of $1.9B. Led crop protection global business unit with sales revenue of $350+MM and profitability in excess of 18% of sales. Developed sustainable Global Strategy, long-range plans, and programs to ensure delivery of short and long-term revenue and financial commitments. Managed global organization of 250 sales, marketing, commercial development and product assets personnel with an operating expense budget of $70+MM focusing on commercial operations and processes, introduction of new products, and talent upgrade. Staff consisted of global commercial, product assets, and commercial development directors. Indirectly managed crop protection finance, inventory and operations supply, technology, and procurement corporate functional support teams totaling 90 personnel. Served on corporate senior leadership team.
* Achieved 2006 global sales of $360MM based on excellent performance in Europe/Africa/Middle East, Asia Pacific (China & India), and Fumigants businesses. Plans were instituted to address shortfalls in the Brazil soybean and USA miticide businesses to ensure a successful 2007 recovery.
* Initiated global marketing plan training and completed top two level succession plans.
* Increased bottom line 10+% by improving Sales and Operations Planning (SOP) and portfolio review processes by focusing resources to address cost of goods and inventory increases, optimizing commercial and technology expenses, and ensuring timely new product introductions.
* Integrated acquisition and developed plan to reenter USA seed treatment market to increase North America sales by 7%.
Global Business Vice President Crop Protection 2005 – 2006
Global Commercial Vice President
Responsible for delivery of global annual operating revenue of $350+MM, working capital and profit plans, development and execution on product and distribution plans to ensure sustainable and profitable growth and implementation of effective commercial processes. Reported to the Crop Protection EVP. Managed 230 sales, technical sales service and marketing personnel from all five global regions with an operating expense budget of $45+MM. Key member /driver in strategy, acquisition, and business development activities.
* Delivered 2005 global sales of $377MM and profits of $90MM boosted by the successful integration of an acquired crop protection business.
* Served on 2005 corporate merger reorganization task force which resulted in plans to integrate a crop related business and to capture global crop protection commercial excellence, new product, and geographic expansion opportunities.
* Initiated program to reinvigorate USA with marketing and new product focus resulting in a revenue increase of 6 %.
* Established commercial excellence programs via key account management, customer and SKU rationalization, and value pricing with benefits totaling over $4MM in 2006.
* Set organization and path forward to grow sales revenue in China and India from $8MM to $35MM in four years.
* Formalized Sales and Operations Planning process.
Vice President International Sales Crop Protection 1991 – 2004
Director International Sales
General Manager Overseas Sales
Delivered annual operating plans and increased revenue to 65% of the total global business. Built and managed a resilient, entrepreneurial commercial organization outside the USA totaling 210 employees within a corporate regional matrix organization. Established team vision with local accountability while strategically positioning the business with improved market access, expanded geographic footprint, and increased sales of internal formulated, licensed and resale products. Provided global strategy guidance and updated the Global Seed Treatment Strategy. Led a number of acquisition projects. Served on board of a North America JV with another multinational company.
* Increased international sales during tenure from $86MM to $230MM and profitability to 25+% of sales from break-even in 1991.
* Led business model changes to capitalize on the Central and East Europe (CEE) free economy opportunity and overcome issues relating to industry consolidation by forming a JV with two other Japanese companies to provide distribution in Western Europe and replacing agents in China and Central and East Europe including the Former Soviet Union with in-country direct sales forces.
* Built training programs to move the organization to a marketing focus in new direct sales territories in CEE, Italy, Sub Sahara, China, India, Australia, and Latin America.
* Restructured Australian organization and integrated both a UK Seed Treatment and a multinational acquisition to capitalize on business synergies.
* Ensured seed treatment product 250% growth through geographic expansion and innovative commercial programs particularly in developing countries.
* Identified, evaluated and placed offers on a number of acquisition candidates that aligned with global strategy and played a very active role in targeting and accessing third party opportunities.
* Implemented program to access third party resale products e.g. Major Japanaese Multinational/USA Specialty Company products strengthening country product portfolios and generating more profit and a revenue increase of 15+%.
Business Manager Seed Treatment & New Products and Technology 1988 – 1990
Built Global Seed Treatment Business Strategy and delivered on growth objectives for this new position reporting to the marketing director. Managed crop protection divisional New Product and Technology acquisition programs.
* Laid foundation for cornerstone product 300% growth and value pricing (20+% over competitive products) in EAME and LA through product repositioning and extensive contact with regional technology and commercial personnel, government officials, and current and prospective customers.
* Forged relationships and accessed numerous crop and seed treatment leads from EAME and Japan.
* Acquired an Australian mobile grader/cleaner seed treater franchise network to solidify seed treatment market position.
International Product Manager/Latin America Regional Manager 1985 – 1987
Focused regional personnel on growth opportunities. Improved budgeting, forecast and customer service processes. Managed Latin America commercial region. Positioned the Brazil organization to capitalize on a citrus miticide opportunity based on the withdrawal of Plictran. This resulted in a share capture in excess of 30%.
Europe/Africa/Middle East Technical Manager, Evesham, United Kingdom 1981 – 1984
Managed 25 EAME regional biological, formulation, regulatory, and country technical sales service personnel and improved alignment with global activities. Established process to develop, prioritize and track regional technical programs. Led UK lab expansion and development advancements for three major products.
Held earlier career crop protection overseas sales development and formulations management positions following a process development engineering assignment.
Master of Science, Management, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Hartford, CT 1974
Bachelor of Science, Chemical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 1969
Numerous programs including Sales Management, Marketing Management and Finance for non Financial Managers at Columbia University.
Crop Life America
Board Member 2006/2007, International Affairs Committee Member and Chairman in the 1990’s