PACKAGING/PRINTING EXECUTIVE PROFILE
Focus: Executive Leadership - General Management - Commercial Leadership
Transformational business development professional, change agent and thought leader. Proven ability to drive improvement through knowledge based approaches creating new revenue streams. History of delivering measurable results superior to the market wave. Documented track record of quickly learning and earning a leadership role in new organizations, markets and industries. 20+year background developing new business growth with various Global CPG marketers in various end use markets. Unique ability to passionately influence and change markets through innovation and product development. Hold MBA in International Business and a Technical Bachelor’s degree. Available for relocation and travel.
Revenue & EBITDA Margin Growth
Profit & Loss Management
Intellectual Property Management
New Business Development
New Market Development
Public Speaking/Public Relations
Strategic Business Planning
Team Building & Leadership
3/2008 TO PRESENT
Exal Corporation Youngstown, Ohio $450 million (revenue) global manufacturer of custom primary packaging components with operations on three continents. The Exal product line features innovative printed rigid aluminum specialty packaging.
Business Development Manager
Sales & Marketing Leadership responsibilities:
• Developing a strategic sales needs analysis for new/prospective customers
• Creating and introducing a formal Business/Product Development Process
• Directly managing all marketing , PR and external communications
• Leading and developing Sustainability Initiatives
New Business Development responsibilities:
• Indentifying, creating and executing strategy for new business development in liquid nutrition industry: Functional Beverage, Energy Drinks Isotonic, Dairy, etc
• Indentifying opportunities and creating partnerships with 3rd party beverage bottlers
• Indentifying and partnering with other packaging component companies to create best options for each beverage filling technology (Cold, Hot, Retort, etc)
Between 4-2008 and 4-2009:
• Created a strategic business plan for a dispensing products company looking to enter a new market with a sustainable packaging option
• Provided market analysis for European printed packaging component supplier considering a green-field manufacturing operation in North American Market
• Supported private equity interests in reviewing potential acquisition of a $200 million(enterprise value) manufacturing company
• Consulting for independent market research firms that service the institutional investment community with clients looking to gain a better understanding of specific industry dynamics. Firms include: DeMatteo Monness LLC, Primary Insight LLC (former J.P.Morgan), Gerson Lehrman Group, Inc., Guidepoint Global Advisors
• Researched and authored articles, including an article for a UK based publication on the opportunity for value added beverage packaging in North America and Western Europe
CCL INDUSTRIES, CONTAINER DIVISION, Norwalk, CT 11/1999 to 3/2008
Diverse international company providing custom printed primary packaging components with $1.2 billion in annual revenues and 4,000 employees. Container Division manufactures specialized ridge aluminum and aluminum/injection molded containers via a complex manufacturing process.
VP of Sales and Marketing (11/2001 to 3/2008); promoted from Northeast Region Sales Manager (11/1999 to 11/2001)
Promoted to member of division’s senior management team, reporting to the president in 2001. Architect, strategist and tactician of the business plan that dynamically grew the business model beyond it’s traditional mature market segment. Full Commercial P&L responsibility. Emphasis on securing new business and renewing existing accounts at most profitable levels. Led annual strategic planning sessions. Managed marketing intelligence function. Served as company’s executive industry contract and voice to trade and industry groups.
• Grew business from $78 to $200 million within 6-year period while overall market was flat
• Doubled OI and improved EBITDA Margins from low teens to 20%
• Created a detailed analysis and proposal to justify a $125 million+ capital investment to support new business and new markets
• Tripled sales revenue and operating income per sales representative
• Grew Food/Beverage Business from Zero to over 20% of Revenues
• Led trailblazing new business success growing average annual new business sales to 25% of total revenues with blue chip marketers such as P&G, Unilever, PepsiCo, Dr Pepper Snapple, Miller Coors, Reckitt Benckiser, L’Oreal, Avon, Constellation Brands, KAO Brands, Schering Plough, Energizer Brands (Playtex), Alberto-Culver and others
• Recruited, trained and led a highly motivated, high performance sales team that consistently surpassed annual budgets, goals and objectives
• Moved the sales organization to a strategic, customer centric, needs analysis/solution based, problem solving, fact driven culture
• Created a results oriented incentive plan (OI improvement, and ROI improvement) that motivated/rewarded sales organization to execute strategic growth plan outside of the market wave.
• Lead negotiator on all customer contracts keeping 85% of business under multiyear agreements
Marketing & Product Development Achievements:
• Refocused product development on creating and introducing customized designs with broader appeal to the consumer packaged goods marketplace
• Created and implemented Stage Gate type product development system that consistently maintained 30% of revenue from products less than three years old
• Led and optimized intellectual property portfolio backing up new developments with patented designs and trademarks
• Developed/managed a focused B2B advertising program, receiving several awards for quality of advertising/results
• 2007-First CCL Container Executive inducted into CCL Industries “Platinum Club” for Commercial Leadership
• Received 50+ awards 2002-2005 for Innovation/Market Development
• Launched packages designated as “Best New Products of the Year” by Business Week (2004, 2005).
• Frost & Sullivan: 2005 award for Product Leadership & Differentiation, 2006 award for product line strategy.
CARAUSTAR INDUSTRIES (THEN: TENNECO PACKAGING), STAMFORD, CT 4/1994 TO 11/1999
$3 billion, international custom-printed paperboard packaging products company.
National Account Manager, Custom Packaging Products
RECRUITED TO SECURE LARGE NATIONAL AND MULTI-NATIONAL ACCOUNTS. APPOINTED TO ROLE AS THE M&A INTEGRATOR OF PAPERBOARD PACKAGING PORTION OF $1.27 BILLION ACQUISITION.
• Grew territory from $4 to $19.5 million during tenure (5-year period) and secured largest new account gaining $4 million in annual sales through new product development.
• Pioneered business in Jamaica through distributor network resulting in $3 million in new sales in first 12 months.
• Awarded Sales Manager of the Year (1996 and 1997).
• Major Customers included: Kraft, Unilever, Nestle Waters, Mobil Plastics
M&A Integration & Management Achievements:
• Managed intense integration process of acquired ($1.27 Billion) Mobil Plastics procurements into six strategic supply locations, taking the relationship from uncertainty to true partnership. Ensured equitable pricing schedules and created service teams to provide “best-in-class” service to acquired business unit.
• Captured 20% reduction in projected working capital by driving make-to-order programs.
• Played pivotal role in creating key effective, transparent supply agreement a major asset in sale of the business to Caraustar and accounting for 25% of division’s sales.
EARLY CAREER DEVELOPMENT
Senior Sales Manager, Graphic Packaging International, Waldwick, NJ, 1991 to 1994 – Award for Most Consumer Products Machinery Placements - 1993
Account Manager, Ivy Hill Corporation. (subsidiary of Time Warner Inc.), New York, NY, 1988 to 1991
Plant Manager, Fort Orange Paper Co., Packaging Division, Castleton on Hudson, NY, 1985 to 1988
Production Planner, Diamond Packaging, Rochester, NY, 1983 to 1985
MBA IN INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS – GPA: 3.8, 1995
UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT, Stamford, CT
Bachelor of Science in Packaging Science, 1983
ROCHESTER INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Rochester, NY
AFFILIATION AND LEADERSHIP:
CONSUMER SPECIALTY PRODUCTS ASSOCIATION, SINCE 1999
Executive Board of Directors, since 2005; General Program Chairperson, since 2006
National Aerosol Association, since 2002
Executive Board of Directors, 2005-2008
Rochester Institute of Technology, Industry Advisory Board, since 1994
Executive Board of Directors, since 1994