CLAIMS / RISK MANAGEMENT / LEGAL COUNSEL
Trusted advisor to senior management in all matters related to ethical business practice, risk management, and regulatory compliance. Strong sense of professionalism and ethics, with the ability to take initiative, and a passion for diffusing perceived crises.
Areas of expertise:
* Risk Management
* Loss Prevention/Control
* Claims Management
* Regulatory Compliance
* Litigation Management
* Legislative Affairs
* Ethical Business Practices
* Team Leadership
* Contract Negotiation
COMPANY CONFIDENTIAL – Louisville, KY
1993 to Present
Loss Control Manager / Risk Manager / Legal Counsel
Manage the subrogation of automobile property damage claims while developing ethical strategic plans, subrogation procedures, and audit programs supporting the company’s brand and business objectives. Direct a team of 6 direct reports and 80 indirect reports responsible for $6 million collected in subrogation in 2008. Manage a departmental budget of $450,000.
Serve as Legal Counsel providing advice and guidance to the VP/General Manager in all legal matters. Draft state compliant rental contracts and agreements; develop and implement underwriting guidelines; and develop underwriting training materials and classes for employees. Liaison with state regulatory agencies (Department of Insurance and Department of Transportation); testify at depositions and at trial; receive legal complaints, brief senior management, and manage outside legal counsel. Audit statewide sales and marketing branch offices and business operations (60 locations in Kentucky and 20 in Indiana) for regulatory compliance and in support of ethical business practices; audit outside collection vendors’ business practices and procedures.
* Implemented a subrogation claims processing plan that resulted in a 23% more efficient claim handling improvement.
* Created and implemented underwriting guidelines that resulted in $600,000 savings in property damage and uninsured losses from 2006 to 2008. These guidelines were subsequently adopted by four other corporate subsidiaries.
* Considered the “preferred choice” by corporate Risk Management Department to testify at depositions and at trial.
* Avoided potential regulatory investigations and litigation by identifying and shutting down fraudulent business practices.
* For a commercial box truck rental start up, drafted new state compliant rental contract, facilitated D.O.T. registration, and shepherded first uneventful D.O.T. audit examination.
* Developed sales/marketing underwriting and business practices compliance audit procedures that provided more real time feedback and meaningful information to management.
* Initiated lobbying efforts for licensing of limited lines insurance products; drafted business friendly draft legislation that D. O. I. accepted.
* Provided testimony in civil action against firm that was instrumental in favorable verdict.
VERIUS CORPORATION – St. Louis, MO
1991 to 1993
Principal – Product and Business Development
With two partners, formulated business plan for the development of a drug dispensing system that would facilitate direct dispensing of pharmaceuticals by physicians at their offices. Conducted market and legal research, supervised programming contractors in the design of computer software and development of features and necessary functions required to make dispensing automated, efficient, and economical; met with physicians to market the concept.
STUART, MAUE, MITCHELL & JAMES, LTD. – St. Louis, MO
1988 to 1991
Civil Litigation and Insurance Claims Consultant
Monitored, evaluated, and managed complex litigation for insurance companies and corporate clients. Developed billing guidelines; investigated multi-party litigation; and evaluated law firm performance. Provided on-site examination of litigation records and reconciliation of fees and expenses, prepared audit reports, consulted with clients and law firm attorneys, and supervised audit support personnel. Supervised more than 35 audit examinations of major law firms throughout the United States involving legal fees and expenses exceeding $70 million.
METROPOLITAN LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY – St. Louis, MO
1985 to 1987
Attorney and Advanced Insurance Underwriting Consultant
Responsible for financial planning and marketing of group insurance and annuities in a joint business insurance program with Mercantile Bank of St. Louis and Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. Provided advanced insurance consultation services to executives of major commercial customers with regard to employee benefits. Received award for leadership in the St. Louis metropolitan region in payroll deduction life insurance sales.
WEST, TERNES, GIBBS, AND OVERFIELD – Henderson, KY
1980 to 1985
Attorney at Law
Conducted general practice of law in the areas of business law, real property, and taxation. Prepared articles of incorporation, real estate mortgages, deeds, and title opinions; also responsible for federal and state estate taxation planning and administration, wills and trusts, and oil and gas leases.
WEBSTER UNIVERSITY – St. Louis, MO
Master of Business Administration (MBA), December 2009
Master of Health Administration (MHA), 2008
NORTHERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY – Highland Heights, KY
J.D., Chase College of Law, 1980
WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY – Bowling Green, KY
B.Sc., Double Major in Accounting and Business Administration, 1973
ADMISSIONS / MEMBERSHIPS
Admissions: Supreme Court of Kentucky, United States Tax Court, United States District Court, and Western District of Kentucky.
Active Member: Kentucky Bar Association (KBA #17205).