Dear Recruiters and Executives:
Are you or your clients seeking to solve the business challenges of Retirement Income Planning to capture the boomer generation's biggest financial need today? Are you seeking a Vice President for Marketing, Sales and/or Investment Advice, or a Region Vice President, especially for a firm seeking to apply Retirement and Investment Advice to further its asset gathering business?
I’m a strong combination of marketing, operations and technical expertise, with demonstrated sales management success to boot. I’ve built successful institutional and retail Retirement Planning, Investment Advice, and Field Sales teams. I am also an experienced Certified Financial Planner (CFP) practitioner, so I understand Financial Consultants and how to build systems to help them sell effectively.
Also, as a FINRA Series 24 General Securities Principal I've successfully managed Registered Investment Advisor programs and Office of Supervisory Jurisdiction (OSJ) activities and have a strong understanding of the industry's rigorous regulatory environment.
Although the challenge of building an industry-leading financial services business is of primary interest to me, you should know that in recent years my compensation has ranged from $190,000 to $335,000.
Resume follows. Thank you!
VICE PRESIDENT FOR MARKETING, PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, OR INVESTMENT ADVICE
As Head of Advisory Services for ING's Retirement Services division, a top-5 company in all US defined contribution markets, I led the successful execution of retirement and investment advisory programs for the participants of some of our largest plan sponsors. Meeting the needs of plan sponsors for services to help educate their participants and better prepare for retirement, I took an innovative but struggling pilot program and made it profitable, nearly tripling per-representative sales productivity reducing the unit delivery cost by more than half, and improving the quality of the customer experience. At the same time, I built out the processes for providing leveraging this capability to provide investment advice to our substantial direct retail IRA rollover business.
As Director – Financial Advisory Services for MetLife, one of the largest
North American insurance firms, I led the Product Management and Development
function for fee-based financial planning services ... creating one of the
most robust Registered Investment Advisor offerings in the insurance business
... allowing our company to recruit and retain hundreds of the nation’s top
insurance producers, and increasing sales of our financial advisory services
from less than $500,000 to over $5 million. I also led the corporate RIA
Compliance function (SEC– and NASD- regulated) for financial planning, and a
financial planning case consulting department with operations management that
produced consistently high quality and compliant services for clients.
I have worked with the NaviPlan, Financial Profiles, MoneyGuide Pro, SunGard Planning Station, Lumen Northstar, Morningstar Advisor Workstation, and eMoneyAdvisor systems. Have built and deployed complete and modular advisory services including: retirement planning, estate planning, asset allocation, and stock options.
Previously, as Marketing Manager for 401(k), 403(b)/TSA, and IRA –based
Retirement Plans for American Express Financial Advisors, I created 20%+ ROI
products, supporting sales increases over 15% per year, and built a strategic
partnership with Nationwide Insurance. In Field Sales management positions,
I’ve led a regional start-up; increased sales by over 20% per year and
retained top veteran producers in an existing operation; and created
successful distribution partnerships with CPA firms and a major regional
bank. Have NASD Series 24, and MBA from University of Minnesota to accompany
my BS from Cornell University. With over 22 years’ experience in Financial
Services, I have been a CFP (Certified Financial Planner) since 1988, and I
hold the CLU and ChFC designations as well.
ING FINANCIAL ADVISERS LLC, Hartford, CT, 2004 to 2007
HEAD OF ADVISORY SERVICES
Reported to Broker-Dealer President of ING US Retirement Services – a global growth engine for ING Groep NV, the world’s 10th largest company. At a corporate officer level, responsible for developing and implementing Investment and Retirement Advisory solutions for Plan Sponsors and participants in ING’s key defined contribution markets (401(k), 403(b) and 457), and in the parallel retail/IRA rollover business. P/L responsibility for a new and innovative participant Advisory program serving large Plan Sponsors.
• Brought the Advisory program to profitability, improving Plan Sponsor and client experience.
• Tripled per-representative sales production.
• Reorganized the support group to provide better service at higher volumes, reducing costs 50%.
• Improved unit financials enabled bidding in support of new RFPs which increasingly request participant Advisory Services.
Also, led the field technology unit supporting multiple broker-dealers and retail product channels.
• Delivered excellent agent- and customer-friendly illustration and support software while consistently hitting development and release timelines, and regularly beating cost estimates.
• Built conceptual foundation for new cutting-edge product illustrations.
• Successfully accommodated multiple firms’ compliance requirements.
PRINCIPAL and CONSULTANT, 2004 and 2007
Consulting practice that assists corporate clients with effectively integrating Investment Advisory and consultative selling approaches into product and service delivery systems, tailoring the approach to the strengths and challenges of the client’s product and distribution array. Focuses on the overall integration of technology, product, and operations to deliver the desired client experience.
• For the “greenfields” retirement income division of a major American insurer: Assessed and benchmarked business offerings against industry leaders in client engagement and presentation, advisory and sales operations, and product delivery.
• For a national retail broker-dealer with top brand recognition: Drove the rapid introduction of advisory tools to the retail broker force. In just six weeks, guided selection, customization, systems integration, and field deployment. Within only 9 months of this introduction, the client’s financial consultants had completed over 15,000 client advisory engagements.
METLIFE FINANCIAL SERVICES, Iselin, NJ and Raleigh, NC, 1998 to 2004
-- DIRECTOR, FINANCIAL PLANNING ADVISORY SERVICES, 2000 to 2004.
Reporting to Senior VP – Financial Planning for one of North America’s largest insurance-based Financial Services firms. Built and was responsible for two key functions during a period of rapid growth of the retail Advisory Services business.
Led the Advisory Services Development function, encompassing both Compliance and Product Management & Development. Scope included multiple broker-dealers and Registered Investment Advisors. Managed compliance, content, technology, pricing, advisory operations and service quality.
• Melded the software vendor relationship and RIA compliance functions into a field- and client-centered Product Management group with successful inspection results from our regulators.
• Leveraged MetLife’s huge national training investment – and solved the Rule 202(c) planning software challenge before it arose -- by implementing similar software for IA and non-IA financial planning.
• Developed and expanded product line with modular fee-based services.
Led the Case Consulting business, which develops financial and estate plans for high-net-worth clients, using consistent and compliant processes across multiple locations.
• Built the Case Consulting business into a unique competitive recruiting advantage. Consistent, controlled quality enabled a doubling of retail fees, driving higher revenue and Advisor incomes.
• Implemented and operated multiple industry-leading desktop and Web-based advisory systems at national scale (including NaviPlan, Financial Profiles, eMoneyAdvisor, and Lumen).
• Conceived and implemented a straightforward Asset Allocation system that unified advice and bridged business needs from simple to complex; and objective to product-specific.
• Developed a participant-facing web-based financial advice application for Institutional plan sponsors.
-- FULCRUM FINANCIAL ADVISORS INC., Raleigh, NC, 1998 to 2000
MANAGING DIRECTOR and DIRECTOR OF FINANCIAL PLANNING
Recruited by New England Financial to help develop and launch an innovative, startup retail broker-dealer and registered investment advisor based in Raleigh. Reported to the Fulcrum President.
• Successful “from scratch” business launch. Within one year, achieved superior consumer awareness and positioning in a new market, appointed 19 experienced producers, achieved targeted sales growth.
In 2000, MetLife Individual Business absorbed Fulcrum; I received a national leadership position.
• Developed a high-quality financial planning operations division, from recruiting/training talent through service and process development.
• Leveraged the business with MetLife Individual Business to provide services nationwide; it subsequently became the national core of the MetLife Case Consulting group.
• Developed a comprehensive (series 7) Wrap securities product.
• Led complex branch management issues during the firm’s transition into MetLife, during the tech stock meltdown. Successfully resolved numerous difficult client, representative, and transition situations.
AMERICAN EXPRESS FINANCIAL ADVISORS (now Ameriprise Financial) 1984 to 1998
-- DISTRICT (SALES) MANAGER, Tulsa, OK 1996 to 1998
Recruited from AEFA Corporate office to provide sales leadership to the senior producers in a large Midwestern region. Reported to Group Vice President.
• Advisor group increased sales production at a rate double the national benchmark
• Advisor group attained greater AEFA sales recognition club levels.
• Produced a retention rate for high producers far in excess of the firm’s national experience.
Working with an experienced and highly independent producer group, initiatives included:
• Successfully mentoring the development of a veteran Group practice.
• Developed partnerships resulting in successful cross-selling business of clients from CPA firms and regional banks, placing Advisors into branches.
-- MARKETING MANAGER, RETAIL QUALIFIED PLANS, Minneapolis, MN 1994 to 1996
Led Marketing and Product Development for the 403(b) and small 401(k) retirement plans.
• Annual sales increases of 403(b) and 401(k) plans exceeding 15% and 50%; creating growth in retail market share. Grew the 403(b) business during a time of sharp IRS scrutiny and uncertain senior level business support. Successfully defended slots in key Institutional accounts.
• Development and release of successful and very profitable 401(k) and SIMPLE IRA products.
• Built an integrated offering with Nationwide Life and established a national third-party Pension Administrator network, solving long-standing product design, service and pricing problems, and reinvigorating sales in the <100 lives space.
-- OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT and SALES SUPPORT, Minneapolis, MN 1987 to 1994
Progression of positions serving AEFA’s field sales force with increasingly greater responsibility.
• Effective operations leadership and redesign (twice) of mass-market financial planning services enabled AEFA to achieve #1 market position in Financial Advice space.
-- FINANCIAL PLANNER and FIELD TRAINER, Wichita, KS 1984 to 1987
Successful new financial planner/producer and trainer. Consistent branch leader in Advisory sales.
COMMISSIONED OFFICER, UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
Active Duty 1980 to 1984, Reserves 1985 to 1988
• University of Minnesota (1992): MBA with concentration in Marketing.
• Cornell University (1980): BS in Operations Research and Industrial Engineering.
PROFESSIONAL LICENSING AND DESIGNATIONS:
• CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERTM (CFP®) since 1988.
• Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) – 2001.
• Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC) – 2002.
• FINRA series 24 Managing Principal, 7, 63, and 65 (Investment Advisor) – not registered but current.
• Life/Health and LTC insurance licenses in CT and several other states - active.
• Past Board member, Triangle Chapter – Financial Planning Association.
• Practitioner Member, Financial Planning Association and Connecticut Valley Chapter.