ELECTRONIC DESIGN / PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Total Product Development from Concept to Manufacturing
Successful in leading the concept development, design, product development, manufacturing (including complete turn-key manufacturing), and sourcing of electronic components for home automation, consumer electronics, and industrial automation. Traveled extensively throughout Southeast Asia to source materials, develop tooling, and source and/or supervise manufacturing operations.
Home Automation / Consumer Electronics
* Designed DLA Speaker Level Audio Router used with home theater/stereo receivers for AtonHome.com, a producer of audio / video routing, control and loudspeaker systems (2006 - 2008).
* Developed many home automation products covered under non-disclosure agreements (2003 - Present).
* Redesigned existing volume controls and infrared repeaters/emitters, and designed new electronic volume controls for ELAN Home Systems (2003 - 2004). The VSE100 Electronic Stereo Volume Control was an honoree in the Audio Category for the Innovations 2003 Design and Engineering Showcase at the 2003 Consumer Electronics Show, and was honored as a *Mark of Excellence* Award Winner by TechHome, a division of CEA, in 2003.
* Designed and project managed more than $4 million of turn-key electronic manufacturing for ELAN Home Systems, to include contract manufacturing, plastic injection mold, and folded metal boxes/metal stamping, through a variety of Thailand manufacturing companies (1998 - 2003).
* Designed 19 different home automation products for Xantech Corp., including the ZPR68 Video Audio Switcher, the MIRV1 IR Motorized Infrared Volume Controller, and the IR Controlled Autotransformer (RAT1), which were honorees in the Innovations Design and Engineering Showcase at the 1996 Consumer Electronics Show (1994 - 1997).
* Designed numerous other home automation products for Melos Audio, International Global, Atlas Soundolier, Allsafe, Inc., AVCM Inc., Jamo HiFi USA, MKO Electronic Systems, and Solar Drape Ltd. (1986 - 1994).
* Designed numerous other products covered by non-disclosure agreements (NDA) with multiple home automation companies (1986 - 2003).
Industrial Electronics /Industrial Automation
* Designed several gas station LED signs for companies in Texas & Florida (under Non Disclosure Agreements) (2005-2006)
* Designed/patented a microprocessor controlled chain lift for Columbus McKinnon Corp. Solved production problems with original Taiwan manufacturer reducing a 30% rejection rate to 0.1%. Later selected new Taiwan manufacture to produce the product at a lower cost and higher profit (1982).
* Designed numerous other industrial automation products for Mixing Equipment Co., LightLabs, Sigma Motors (medical), Frontier Micro Controls, Phillips Medical, and Niagara Micro Controls (1981 - 1994).
* Designed several patented microprocessor waste water sampling and measuring controls for NP Industries (1979 - 1981).
* Introduced CMOS, logic, and microprocessors to the motor control industry. Designed more than 40 different microprocessor and related control boards for Emerson Industrial Controls (1971 - 1981).
* Designed a digital phase locked loop motor control system (the first of its kind) for Wer Industrial (now Emerson Industrial Controls) in 1971.
HOME AUTOMATION CONTROL SYSTEMS (HACS) - www.hacs.com - Buffalo, NY 2003 - Present
Owner / Product Designer / Project Manager
Conceived, developed, and designed a variety of microcontroller-based products; set up production and/or supplied turn-key manufacturing for home automation companies. Clients have included Aton, ELAN Home Systems, Xantech Corp., Melos Audio, International Global, Atlas Soundolier, AVCM Inc., Jamo HiFi USA, MKO Electronic Systems, and Solar Drape Ltd. Developed strong business relationships with offshore plastic injection mold suppliers.
* Designed a variety of audio, video, routing, lighting, and security systems at a lower cost and greater reliability than the industry standard.
* Redesigned and designed new electronic volume controls, infrared repeaters, and speaker switches for ELAN Home Systems.
* Designed microprocessor drape control systems for Solar Drape Ltd.
MICRO DESIGNS - www.microdesigns.biz - Buffalo, NY 1970 - Present
Owner / Product Designer / Project Manager
Design a variety of microprocessor-based products and set up production for industrial clients. Clients have included Niagara Micro Controls, NP Industries, Allsafe, Inc., and the State University of New York (Research Foundation), Mixing Equipment Co., LightLabs, Sigma Motors, Frontier Micro Controls, Phillips Medical Inc., and Columbus McKinnon Corp.
EMERSON INDUSTRIAL CONTROLS - Grand Island, NY 1971 - 1981
Electrical Engineer - Microprocessor / CMOS (1972 - 1981)
Electrical Engineering Technician (1971 - 1972)
Responsible for electronic design, cost estimating, PC board layout, mechanical packaging, purchasing, electrical/mechanical engineering, manufacturing engineering, quality control and testing, field service and repair. Addressed and resolved complex engineering problems. Developed products that became industry standard
* Designed over 40 different microprocessor and related control boards for the motor control industry between 1972 and 1981, many becoming the industry standard between 1972 and 1981.
* Introduced microprocessors into the industrial automation control industry. Product designs included a Microprocessor Controlled Cut to Length Control System, a Microprocessor Controlled Traverse Winder, and a Digital Phase Locked Loop (PLL) Motor Control System.
MOOG MUSIC - Williamsville, NY 1970 - 1972
Electrical Engineering Technician / Designer
Designed the first digital sampling keyboard for a customer of Moog Music.
SYLVANIA FACTORY - BATAVIA, NY 1967 - 1970
Electrical Engineering Lab Intern & engineer
Factory Gold-room testing and tube circuits used in TV production.
BSEE Griffin College Seattle, WA 1963-1967
DLA Speaker Level Audio Router
2007 Excite Award from Custom Retailer Magazine
VSE100 Electronic Stereo Volume Control
Honoree in the Audio Category for the Innovations Design and Engineering Showcase at the 2003 Consumer Electronics Show. Honored as a *Mark of Excellence* Award Winner by TechHome, a division of CEA, in 2003.
MIRV1 IR Motorized Infrared Volume Controller / IR Controlled Autotransformer (RAT1)
Honorees in the Innovations Design and Engineering Showcase at the 1996 Consumer Electronics Show.
DLA Speaker Level Audio Router
* Patent pending
Microprocessor Controlled Disabled Person Mover
* Patent # 4,944,056 Method and apparatus for transporting a disabled person, July 31, 1990; patent assigned to Research Foundation of State University of New York, 1989
Microprocessor Controlled Chain Lift
* Patent # 4,636,962 Microprocessor-controlled hoist system, January 13, 1987; patent assigned to Columbus McKinnon Corp., 1982
Microprocessor Measuring & Level Flow Control for Fluids System
* Patent # 4,326,173 Digital phase locked loop frequency control system, April 20, 1982; patent assigned to NP Industries, 1981
Microprocessor Flow Measurement System
* Patent # 4,272,761 Operations control system, June 9, 1981; patent assigned to NP Industries, 1980
Microprocessor Controlled Self-Calibrating Echo Location System
* Patent # 4,254,482 Echo location system which provides for measuring liquid level and flow rate and flow volume of flowing liquids, March 3, 1981; patent assigned to NP Industries, 1979
* Patent # 4,145,914 Echo location system which provides for measuring liquid level and flow rate and flow volume of flowing liquids, March 27, 1979; patent assigned to NP Industries, 1979
* Patent # 4,217,777 Flow measuring system, January 12, 1979; patent assigned to NP Industries, 1979
Installing LANs for friends and family
including setting up wifi neighborhoods
Installing Windows Home Server and storing/streaming
TV (including HD), videos and audio
PC Board layout and design
Metal folded box design, tooling, and manufacture
Injection mold plastic design, tooling, and manufacture
AutoCAD 3-D mechanical drawings
Capable of supplying turn-key manufacturing, including electronics, plastic, and metal