Senior Operating, Marketing and Product Development Executive with demonstrated business growth, cost cutting and innovation skills, with success in leading consumer products (Procter & Gamble), retail, and durables companies. Produced outstanding results by first creating game changing strategies, and then leading direct reports and cross-functional teams in executional excellence to achieve sales, market share and profit growth. Strong skills transforming companies to be more market driven, drive innovation through new products, cut costs, build profits, build brand equity and improve ROI.
Big Box Retailer 2004-PRESENT
Vice President - Private Brands, Product Development and Imports
Top business leader for $2B private label business unit of $8B international products distributor, including 900 retail stores, website, catalogs and direct sales to Fortune 1000 companies. Responsible for growing Private Brands’ revenue and profit, building trademark equity, creating new brands, development of over 4000 new products, all aspects of private branded product marketing, and training and development of 60 professionals. Brought world-class brand building, marketing and product development skills and processes to organization focused on product and price, driving differentiation and customer loyalty. Also started Asia Sourcing operations in China.
• Started firms' first private brand group, to create new brands and drive innovation. Doubled revenue and profits by delivering 17 consecutive quarters of steady revenue and profit growth.
• Opened and ran firm's first ever operations in China, focused on lowering COGS, factory qualification, new product development, and quality assurance. Built a team of 50 Chinese employees and generated savings of $30MM.
• Created strong brand management and sourcing teams, recruiting the top four leaders, including the top rated Director in 400 person Marketing-Merchandising team. Developed three key managers/directors to greater responsibilities and promotion.
• Launched over 4,000 new products and 11 new brands to drive results: Private Brand revenue +101%, margin dollars +122%. 1,800 new products and 7 brands launched in 2008, with 25% smaller, more efficient US team.
• Launched firm’s first ever premium brand. The brand and product line were developed through best in class innovation process, integrating deep user research and remarkable design. In its first year, the brand surpassed its sales forecast by 100%, won two international design awards, and delivered triple digit ROI.
• Created trend reviews in design, materials, colors and office needs, and aligned merchandising organization to better select products on trend. Introduced firm’s first fashion brand.
• Conceived, developed and negotiated multi-year licensing agreement that led to launch of exclusine brand, the company’s best selling furniture collection ever. Grew brand sales 15% in 2008, when total furniture sales decreased 20%.
• Launched five additional premium office products brands. Each brand is surpassing revenue and margin dollar goals.
• Initiated quality improvement and social accountability programs across entire product line and import vendors, yielding substantial product improvements on numerous products.
World Leading Tire Company 2001-2004
Vice President-Marketing, North America Consumer Tire (2004)
Marketing leader for $4B business unit of $13B global consumer durable, retail and automotive supply firm, reporting to Business Unit President. Responsible for revenue and all marketing efforts for firm’s consumer replacement ($2B), consumer OE ($1B) and retail ($1B) businesses. Key replacement tire customers included independent firm's dealers, tire wholesalers, Discount Tire, Wal-Mart (category captain), Sears, Sam’s; OEM customers included GM, Toyota, Ford, Daimler-Chrysler, Honda; retail chains included 600+ firm's Auto Service Centers and 100+ Just Tires retail outlets. Led development of marketing strategy, positioning, consumer and trade promotions, market research, distribution and product planning, merchandising, training and development of 70 marketing professionals. Developed and effectively allocated a $170MM marketing budget. Also charged with driving consumer and customer focused cultural change. Delivered results with 50% reduction in capital for new products and 40% reduction in marketing team personnel.
• Delivered over $90MM EBIT improvement in first half 2004, driven by increased revenue, better product mix, a 10% increase in firm's top brand share, and cost decreases.
• Developed new product line to exceed best competitive offerings, and led tire industry’s largest new product introduction in 10 years. Launch supported by firm’s highest ever tested advertising.
• Increased marketing effectiveness while shrinking team 40%. Recruited two new Marketing Directors, one with CPG experience and one with Tier I agency experience.
• Leveraged category management to grow business at Wal-Mart (+14%).
Vice President-Marketing & Brand Management, North America Consumer Replacement (2001-2003)
Operating and Marketing leader for $2B business unit, reporting to Regional President. Responsible for full P&L of 22 brands including three top national brands. Led development of region’s business strategy, category business plans, brand equity, product planning, and all marketing elements including advertising, pricing, marketing planning, trade promotion, distribution, market research, merchandising and training and development of 120 marketing professionals. Led multifunctional operating business team and 10,000+ employees. Key replacement tire customers include Wal-Mart (category captain), Sam’s, firm's Dealers, tire wholesalers, Discount Tire and Sears.
• Devised and executed plans to begin business revitalization. Grew branded share while private label sales declined, to drive total 2003 revenue +2% and firm's top brand revenue +5%. Met cash target despite missing profit goals.
• Introduced branding campaign that grew respective purchase intent and brand preference by +2 and +3 points.
• Optimized $150+MM annual marketing spend, increasing ROI through new product introductions and highly effective brand-building direct mail, promotional, web and co-op/trade advertising.
• Led development and execution of restructuring plan and new business model, including investment in higher margin branded products, aggressive cost reduction, and improved supply chain.
• Reorganized marketing and product management teams to a P&L focused brand management team. Recruited 2 of 4 Marketing Directors, and promoted 2 strong internal leaders. Developed high potential managers; one now serves as President of a multi-billion dollar division, and another leads a 300 person sales force.
• Created and implemented new product planning process that integrated quantitative consumer research, resulting in consumer preferred products. Introduced over 200 new products in 2002 and over 400 in 2003.
• Focused organization on executional excellence to drive 30 point improvement in demand forecast accuracy, helping to improve fill rate 5 points while reducing inventory more than 10%.
MOTOROLA, INC., LIBERTYVILLE, IL 1999-2001
Marketing & Product Planning Director, Personal Communications Sector
Led $15B cell phone division of $37B global telecommunications firm, reporting to Product Line VP/GM. Responsible for creating and developing new compelling products and solutions, one to three years out. New product focus areas include wireless internet, 3G, multi-media, mobile e-commerce, messaging and entertainment. Target customers included service providers, end users and business-to-business customers. Also charged with driving culture and business practice transformation to more consumer and customer centric model to balance Motorola’s traditional technology focus. Delivered results with 50% reduction in my marketing & product planning team.
• Led multifunctional development team to create global 2002-03 product plans, driven by a new Marketing and Product Planning process that provided more consumer and customer input. New products drove significant market share increase.
• Designed 3-year application roadmap, aligning product plans with third party applications and content providers. Key applications and content include entertainment (games, music, multi-media, location based services), productivity (travel planning, calendar, contacts), and m-commerce (POS transactions, internet transactions, auction, financial services).
• Created and implemented a new competency at Motorola: Consumer Concept Testing. Created and globally tested over 60 new product concepts with tens of thousands of consumers and used results to shape product plans, ensuring strong consumer acceptance. Trained marketing teams to use data to drive decision-making and turn technology into consumer benefit-focused ideas. Methods adopted across Motorola SBU’s.
HONEYWELL INTERNATIONAL INC., SOUTHBOROUGH, MA 1997-1999
Marketing Vice President
Marketing General Manager for $350MM global consumer products division of $8.3B industrial corporation, reporting to Division President. Responsible for sales and profit of three brands, six product categories and 400 SKU’s. Led transformation to a more consumer focused business through development of global business strategy, category business plans, brand equity, product planning and all marketing elements including advertising, product development, pricing, marketing planning, trade promotion, distribution, market research, merchandising and training and development of staff of 22 marketing professionals. Key customers include Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Costco, and Sears. Products produced at Honeywell manufacturing plants in the US, China, and Mexico.
• Implemented business recovery program that resulted in $34MM operating profit turnaround in second half 1998. Operating margin increased 22 points. Reduced marketing team by 20% while increasing effectiveness.
• Continued business turnaround with strong 1999 business results: sales +14%, profit +$30MM, and operating margin +10 points.
• Drove profitability by revising strategy to focus on high margin branded categories. Launched first ever branded product advertising and accelerated product development process. Air cleaner and thermostat sales were up +15% in 1998 and +19% in 1999.
• Led product development team, instilling ownership and empowering rapid, informed decision-making that facilitated the introduction of 60+ new products in 1988 and 50+ in 1999. Key introductions include Honeywell QuietCare, which quickly became the top selling air cleaner at key accounts.
• Reorganized marketing department around Brand Management. Recruited 2 of 5 key brand managers, and developed 6 team members for promotion.
• Focused organization on executional excellence to drive customer fill rate from 50% in Q4’97 to 98% in Q4’98.
• Reduced operating costs by $8MM through elimination of 800 unprofitable SKU’s.
• Developed global business strategy that delivered 10% European and 150% Asian sales increases.
SEALY, INC., CLEVELAND, OH 1994-1997
Marketing General Manager for $100MM Stearns & Foster luxury bedding line, charged with transforming operations driven culture to a more consumer focused business. Responsible for full P&L, brand strategy, long-range planning, product development, forecasting and all marketing elements including advertising, trade promotion, pricing, distribution, market research, merchandising and training and development of staff. Led advertising development with three agencies, including Leo Burnett. Reversed 5-year 40% cumulative sales decline and restored growth in mature category. Grew 1995 sales +21% and profits +37%, 1996 sales +50% and profits +55%, and 1997 sales +55% and profits +60%.
KFC, INC. (Division of PepsiCo), LOUISVILLE, KY 1993-1994
Marketing Director for $3.0B sales system. Responsible for developing consumer promotions that built equity and sales with Hollywood entertainment companies including Disney, Warner Brothers, and MCA-Universal. Developed KFC's Kid's Meal and African-American Marketing programs. Managed and trained two marketing professionals, and program development with 3 agencies, including Young & Rubicam. Developed and executed KFC's first national entertainment/premium tie-in in over seven years. KFC/Looney Tunes Program increased sales 7% and profits 14%. Created promotion concepts and negotiated $20MM deals with Warner Brothers and other major entertainment companies. Programs included television media, in-store point-of-purchase materials and kids and adult premiums.
PROCTER & GAMBLE COMPANY, CINCINNATI, OH 1989 - 1993
Brand Manager, Assistant Brand Manager, Brand Assistant-Laundry Products
Increased Ariel sales +110% and profit +200% by shifting brand position to superior stain removal with world class cleaning technology. Led development of Ultra Liquid Tide, P&G's first concentrated liquid detergent and Grease Releasing Powder Tide product upgrade. Share and profit grew +6% and +10%, respectively.
CHRYSLER MOTORS CORPORATION, AUBURN HILLS, MI 1985 - 1987
Product Design Engineer
Promoted twice in 2 years to lead multifunctional/supplier team that designed and developed 40 Dodge Spirit and Plymouth Acclaim parts representing $3B in sales, including plastic injection molded trim, floor carpets and headliners. Completed development on all parts 15 weeks ahead of schedule, below budgeted cost and with fewer engineering changes than targeted. Introduced Total Quality Control to accomplish these results.
EDUCATION The University Of Michigan - Ann Arbor, Michigan
Master of Business Administration, cum laude; 1989
Concentration in Marketing and Corporate Strategy
The University Of Notre Dame - Notre Dame, Indiana
Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering; 1985
Bachelor of Arts, Theology; 1985
The Reverend Joseph H. Cavanaugh, C.S.C. Award, given for high qualities of personal character and academic excellence in theological studies.