COO w/ P&L, VP Ops and Supply Chain, Consumer and Computer Products, International Vendor Mgmt, Major Retail Distribution, VMI, Finance, Material Control, Contract Negotiation
Creative, high-energy COO/VP operations executive seeking senior level position with entrepreneurial consumer products company looking to grow and improve profitability through improved customer service and reduced product costs. Proven experience managing third-party manufacturing and distribution vendors in China, Taiwan, Mexico and US, RFQ preparation and analysis. Track record of success managing multi-site manufacturing, assembly and distribution facilities in consumer products, hardware and software industries. Strong contract negotiation and cost modeling skills.
- Successful COO/ VP Ops with P&L in consumer products, import, computer h/w s/w & consumer products industries
- Track record of improved profitability
- Consumer products VMI implementation
- Computer/Electrical product industries
- International Manufacturing, Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Asia sourcing/manufacturing experience
- Strong negotiation and contract skills
- MBA Degree from University of Michigan and University of Wisconsin BS Degree
Chief Operating Officer June 2005 - Present
Responsible for business operations of rapidly growing, profitable consumer products firm in fashion home décor market. Mange offshore (Asian) manufacturers, import customs & compliance, domestic warehousing. Customers are major big box retailers. P&L responsibilities include operations, logistics, IT, finance, HR, customs compliance, quality control, pricing, customer service, manufacturing planning and inventory control.
- Developed processes and procedures to improve overall operational performance of 3rd party manufacturing plants to improve customer replenishment cycles, reduce inventories.
- Developed metrics tracking actual performance of manufacturing plants, enabling consistent lead-time information for use by sales, product development, inventory analysis and retail customers.
- Developed factory capacity analysis and projected customer order analysis pinpointed production bottlenecks and possible late delivery issues.
- Strengthened Companies China-based factory QC procedures reducing retailer QC rejects.
Director, Global Appliance Operations May 2002 – Oct 2004
Responsible for business operations of Symantec’s computer hardware (appliance) business including the global supply chain functions of contract manufacturing, new product introduction planning, logistics, product repair and RMA programs, inventory control, vendor selection, contract negotiation, ECN, quality assurance and product improvement.
- Initiated RFP process consolidating diverse contract manufacturing base into single low-touch Tier One EMS contract manufacturer allowing overall 30% product cost reduction and significant improvement in quality and customer service response times.
- Led conversion of business from purchased-OEM model to Symantec-designed and owned model. Integrated operations of acquired appliance company into Symantec’s logistics model.
- Developed root cause analysis system yielding 60% reduction in field failures.
- Enhanced global RMA and h/w product repair capabilities w/ 24, 8 and 4-hour response. Opened RMA depots in 10 APAC and LAM countries improving response time and service levels.
- Working closely with sales and marketing departments, developed inventory forecasting and control procedures thereby eliminating stock-outs while reducing overall inventory by 40%.
- Developed comprehensive vendor scorecard system and improved results of Quarterly reviews.
PARAMOUNT PICTURES – HOME ENTERTAINMENT DIVISION
Vice President of Operations 1998-2001
Directed all operational aspects for the Home Entertainment (consumer video products) division of Paramount Pictures. Responsible for third party manufacturing and distribution vendors, retail and distributor accounts including 6,000 direct-to-store Vendor Managed Inventory accounts (Wal-Mart, Kmart, Sams, etc.), RMA systems, customer service, order entry and retail merchandising. Division’s shipped over 60 million units annually with department annual budget in excess of $100 million.
- Developed Vendor Managed Inventory program controlling store inventory levels at 6,000 Wal-Mart, Kmart, Zellers and Sams retail locations with Manugistics/J.D. Edwards program.
- Renegotiated contracts with US and Canadian manufacturing/distribution vendors saving 15%.
- Developed excess inventory analysis, reducing overall inventory by 25%.
- Revamped RMA process and introduced UPS Automated Returns Systems saving 10%/year.
- Successfully led industries largest home video release (“Titanic”) with 99.9% on-time retail supply.
MICROPROSE SOFTWARE - Director of Operations 1995-1998
Responsibilities include managing all production aspects through third party manufacturing, assembly and distribution vendors for this rapidly growing developer of computer video games including: purchasing, distribution, product assembly, production planning, inventory control, direct-to-consumer sales program, product returns (RMA’s) and facilities functions. Reduced overhead costs by 40% within first 18 months.
- Introduced and established strategic vendor partnerships resulting in lower-cost, higher quality vendors for CD-ROM purchases, manual and sleeve printers and product assembly vendors.
- Developed EDI standards automating links between company and assembly vendor (940/945 and with retail customers (850/810/852 and ASN 856) computer systems.
- Outsourced retail channel product return and rework function reducing total program costs by 25% through eliminating company warehouse facility, staffing and associated overhead.
- Developed and implemented web site electronic store for company direct sales program.
- Completed selection, training and implementation process for Oracle 7 system.
ALLIED DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES - General Manager, West Coast Division 1989-1995
Managed West Coast division of nation's largest non-theatrical video communications company specializing in video duplication, CD and CD-ROM replication, post-production and multi-media services. Responsibilities included sales, manufacturing, fulfillment and distribution functions.
- Turned division around from loss position to profitability within two years and increased sales from under $4 million in 1989 to $10 million in 1994, achieving over 15% operating income.
XIDEX CORPORATION - Director, Distribution & Planning 1987-1989
Responsible for worldwide distribution for four floppy disk and hard drive manufacturing divisions with annual sales in excess of $400 million. Responsible for scheduling of manufacturing plants, traffic/logistics and raw material functions.
- Managed five distribution centers with responsibility for customer shipments of all media and computer peripheral products.
- Created independent raw material warehouse by opening 120,000 square foot facility.
ROCKWELL INTERNATIONAL-AUTOMOTIVE OPERATIONS 1975-1987
Automotive Electronics Division – Director Operations and Customer Service 1985-1987
West Coast Distribution Center, Service Parts Div. - Plant Manager 1981-1985
Automotive Operations – Snr. Financial Analyst/Sales Engineer/Sales Manager 1975-1981
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI - MBA - International Finance
University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI - BS – Finance, Accounting, Economics