CONSUMER PRODUCTS INDUSTRY EXECUTIVE - CEO / COO / PRESIDENT
Long-Running Record of Success Generating Continual Revenue Increases, Optimizing Operational Processes, and Raising Profit Levels in Competitive Markets
Offering over 20 years of executive leadership experience managing multiple-site international/domestic operations and business development activities across 5 continents. Documented history of success surmounting financial, market, and competitive challenges to accelerate revenue growth, increase profits, and improve overall performance.
MBA degree and well-rounded core management skills spanning P&L management, sales and marketing, manufacturing, domestic and import purchasing, and distribution/supply chain management. Accomplished driving continuous process improvement, applying Lean techniques and Kanban exercises to increase efficiency, performance, and quality of business operations, manufacturing, distribution, and sales.
Superb leader skilled in articulating a vision and plan, influencing positive change, and creating team cohesion and excitement in pursuing major goals. Excellent coach and mentor focused on developing talent and empowering staff to reach their full potential. Highly productive and organized; known as the "go-to manager" for problem solving.
THE EVERCARE COMPANY
Member of executive team that grew company 2400% from a small family business into a leading consumer products manufacturer and importer with high 8-figure annual sales, wholly owned subsidiaries in Canada and France, a licensed manufacturer and distributor in the U.K., and international market presence in 22 countries worldwide.
Promoted to take full-charge leadership and drive business growth following retirement of founder/CEO. Brought new vision and energy, streamlining company for optimum financial performance and championing aggressive growth strategies.
More than doubled sales in past 10 years. Mobilized operations to achieve 20-30% year-over-year growth from 1990 to 1999 and CAGR of 30%+ from 1995 to 1999. Led continuing growth from 2000 to 2005, in the 8-10% range annually.
Fought off intense competition and drove market share growth in core product group to over 85% in food, drug and mass combined; maintained dominant position, stabilizing at 80% share.
Director of Corporate Development (2005-Present)
Chief Operations Officer / President (1990-2005)
As COO and President, led strategic planning and all operations, including P&L responsibility for Sales, Manufacturing, Distribution, Customer Service, Purchasing, and Supply Chain departments. Headed team of 4 direct and 200+ indirect reports. Managed international sales across Europe, Australia, Asia, and South America; oversaw overseas manufacturing and sales subsidiaries.
Currently serving in internal consulting role to evaluate acquisition candidates and worldwide strategic alliances to support corporate growth strategy.
* Corporate Transactions - Led 3 major acquisitions, achieving strategic objectives including development of Canadian subsidiary, capture and integration of a $5 million competitive business unit, and penetration of new product categories. Initiated and completed divestiture of non-performing subsidiary in France.
* Acquisition Integration - Integrated acquired consumer goods company while simultaneously implementing new ERP system and building/transferring manufacturing to new facility, maintaining benchmark levels of customer service throughout. Doubled sales of acquired business within 12 months.
* Continuous Improvement - Reversed productivity downturn and rising labor costs, spearheading Kanban exercise and continuous improvement team that achieved record-setting productivity 15% higher than previous record. Reduced labor requirements 30%+ to 150 people during high growth period.
* New Product Introduction - Launched Brawny and Woolite licensed brand initiatives, winning major accounts, including Target, Wal-Mart, A&P, Kroger, and Walgreens, and driving millions in new sales within the first year.
* Business Growth - Revived flat Wal-Mart sales, returning account to double-digit growth track and adding several new products; activated Wal-Mart International and opened Wal-Mart Germany and Wal-Mart Mexico.
Collaborated with outside agency to successfully re-brand products with a more meaningful and recognizable name, driving immediate 30% sales increase. Subsequently changed company name to Evercare to reflect new brand name.
Built international sales to 20% of total with positive EBITDA impact, expanding international distribution into Mexico, Australia, Hong King, Singapore, U.K., Spain, Germany, Columbia, Brazil, and Argentina.
* Inventory Reduction - Responded to near-crisis situation of excess inventory threatening financial leverage and stability of company, successfully cutting inventory 50%+ through series of vendor negotiations, forecasting improvements, purchasing controls, SKU rationalization, and closeout/liquidation strategies. Eliminated 20% of inventory by introducing Vendor Managed Inventory (VMI).
* New Market Development -Championed patented product innovations, high-impact product promotions, and increased distribution. Negotiated and managed licensing agreements. Sourced new products and negotiated pricing agreements in China, Thailand, and India.
* Business-Technology Solutions - Implemented customized versions of Comshare and Cognos as business information tools, enabling dashboard reporting and real-time monitoring of progress against goals. Implemented SyteCentre ERP system and subsequent major upgrade.
* Team Leadership - Introduced successful gainsharing program that significantly increased productivity by rewarding manufacturing employees for production against standard and distribution employees for dollar-volume shipped.
* Cost Savings - Reduced energy costs 15% and temporary labor costs 10% through negotiations with service providers. Renegotiated $10 million annual purchases of major raw materials, lowering costs 5%.
Reached and exceeded annual sales plan for 10 consecutive years and generated average annual revenue increase of 20%.
Led paradigm shift that re-oriented senior management to a long-term strategic planning approach that replaced previous short-term, reactionary approach that was damaging future growth prospects.
Vice President, Sales & Marketing (1980-1990)
Managed sales and marketing activities across 20+ market channels that included food, drug, mass, specialty, and military exchanges. Led team of 4 national sales managers and 120 indirect reports (25 manufacturer representative agencies and food brokers). Oversaw staff training and coaching, national and global business development, forecasting and budgeting, and trade show execution. Personally participated on all major key account calls. Reported to CEO and President.
* Long-Term Strategic Planning - Laid foundation for sustained long-term growth by developing annual performance plan for all product groups, rationalizing product line, and introducing consumer/retail display promotions.
* Manufacturer Representative Management - Established sales forecasting process, commission bonus program, and competitive reporting tool that cumulatively led to consistent achievement of sales plan.
* Product Distribution Expansion - Successfully established distribution of key products at nearly all retailers within 20 market channels, subsequently resulting in distribution at 60,000+ outlets.
* Key Account Management - Built and maintained strong, profitable relationships with industry-leading retailers, including Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart, Walgreens, CVS, Albertsons, Kroger, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Costco.
*Additional positions included promotions from sales associate to regional sales manager and national sales manager.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
MBA in Business / Marketing - BA in Marketing / Economics
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
Director, International Housewares Association (IHA)
IHA Board Liaison to IHA HECNA Association- Housewares Export Council of North America
Member, IHA CORE- Chief Officers Reaching Excellence- Peer Group
Six Sigma Green Belt Certification