Results-driven management professional with 14 years of experience in uniquely combining finance and information technology to help business improve problem solving, decision-making, financial analysis, and strategy development. High energy and strong business acumen, communication, presentation, and organizational skills. Proven record of increasing productivity, improving quality, streamlining processes, and reducing costs. Expertise in financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting, monitoring, cost containment, and profitability assessment.
- Management/Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Financial and Budgetary Planning/Controls
- Variance Analysis, Forecasting, Scorecarding
- Management Information Systems
- Staff Training & Development
- Financial, Business, Operations Analysis
- Quality, Efficiency, Performance Improvement
- Systems and Process Development
- SQL, Oracle, Databases, Business Objects
- MS Office, Visio, Visual Basic, PeopleSoft
Fortune 500 Insurance Company 1994 to 2008
--Director, Business Analysis-- 2003-2008
Headed a regulatory reporting team made up of 10 analysts. Increased quality and efficiency of over 400 discrete reporting processes, which reduced fines and improved company's reputation among regulators. Improved staff's productivity by 40% through process redesigns, data sourcing improvements, and staff development. Relevant skills: critical business analysis, process improvement, data quality, planning/budgeting, relationship management.
- Designed and led the building of a workers' compensation data warehouse for external reporting to rate making bureaus. Saved $100,000 annually in penalties and resource costs through improved quality and timeliness.
- Created a process to identify the comprehensive universe of asbestos claims, which cut time from 2 weeks to 3 days for Actuarial to complete their quarterly financial close for this segment.
- Developed a reporting data warehouse for Large Accounts segment that transparently analyzed the financial changes in the book of business and allowed management to address proactively the drivers.
- Built a reporting process that allowed claim analysts to identify data quality problems with reinsurance claims and fix them, improving opportunity for reinsurance recoveries.
- Improved analytical acumen of staff through coaching and mentoring, resulting in a productivity increase of 40%.
--Director, Financial Analysis-- 2000-2003
Led financial activities of Small Business and Policy Processing segments. Directed financial component of monthly and quarterly reviews for senior management, including variance analysis, forecasting and recommendations. Managed premium planning ($800 MM) and budgeting ($150 MM). Worked with executives on strategy development, process redesign, and decision-making improvement through the leveraging of information. Led project to improve use of management information across other segments. Had management responsibility for performance and development of 3 analysts.
- Provided financial analyses and scorecards for operational reviews. Served as key member of strategy team.
- Re-engineered monthly/quarterly financial reporting to senior management, which significantly reduced analyst time spent on querying, reconciling, and assembling information.
- Led efforts to automate delivery of account information, improving pricing decision-making of 60 underwriters.
- Negotiated, designed and implemented information solutions to over 300 users across several segments, including financial analysts, actuaries, underwriters, and field support.
- Worked with corporate and technology departments to implement proper financial coding structures and controls.
--Controller, Industry Group-- 1998-2000
Served as financial lead to a niche marketing segment ($125 MM in premiums) specializing in public, financial and professional institutions. Prepared variance analyses and performance metrics. Provided analytics to assess market opportunities for further expansion of segment. Worked with cross-departmental team to implement a $30 MM insurance program, including vendor contract negotiations, workflow definitions and governance processes.
--Controller and Senior Analyst-- 1996-1998
Provided in-depth financial analyses to management of a segment specializing in agriculture insurance. Managed the SBU's planning and budgeting process. Prepared forecasting of revenue, claims and expenses. Analyzed agents' books of business for roll-over deals and made compensation recommendations to management team. Administered the regulatory filing process and resolved issues with state insurance departments, agencies and field representatives. Led the development of management reporting processes.
--Senior Analyst-- 1994-1996
Performed systems analysis and guided technical support to business in support of its corporate profitability modeling and data warehouse. Planned, coordinated and implemented system changes. Trained users on interpreting, measuring and using profitability information in business problems. Implemented controls to improve data quality. Designed reports and procedures. Worked on project to shut down a legacy claim reporting system, saving the company $600,000 in annual maintenance.
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 1995
M.B.A., Dual Concentration: Finance / Management Information Systems
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 1991
B.A., English and American Literature and Language