SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Progressively responsible finance, accounting and contracting responsibilities from DCAA Auditor to Finance Director, Chief Accountant & Executive Consultant. Successful in manufacturing, IT & professional services industries both public and private. Strong experience with accounting systems design, conversions and process improvements with emphasis on Government contract compliance. Accomplishments helping companies maximize cost recovery & improve profits through a total team approach.
Career Objective: Senior level, full-time, permanent position.
Government Contracts Consulting Firm 2007 - present
Acting Chief Accountant – Fortune 500 manufacturer 2006 - 2007
A newly formed manufacturing division providing over $1 billion in armored vehicles to the Department of Defense. Its strategic plan is to expand RFP efforts capturing more work while anticipating fully CAS covered contract awards. We provide the accounting framework and day-to-day controllership activities supporting these initiatives.
* Served as team leader & subject matter expert on GAAP, FAR & CAS and directed the redesign of the general ledger and job cost modules enabling the business unit to compete for CPFF, T&M and other audit sensitive contracts, * Drafted first CASB DS-1 in anticipation of higher volume of work,
* Trained multi disciplined teams of IT, contracts, accounting & PeopleSoft consultants in the redesign of PeopleSoft/Oracle to comply with FAR & CAS,
* Supervised day-to-day accounting activities including approval of all JE’s, reconciliations, timekeeping, month-end closing, financial analysis & reporting.
Government Finance Director 2005 - 2006
Multinational IT Corporation – Arlington, VA
Established & trained Government contracts lead team for pricing, RFP & accounting compliance.
* Redeveloped indirect rates capturing total allowable costs resulting in additional 8% cost recovery, plus 10% profits on $160M DHHS & $61M DOD efforts. New rates are appropriate for all forward pricing, incurred costs submissions,
* Established and trained proper estimating practices conforming to FAR.
Chief Accountant – Small Business –Professional Services
A nuclear energy company contracting with the U.S. Department of Energy.
* Designed accounting system on spreadsheets enabling staff to easily maintain financial data conforming to GAAP & compliant with FAR Cost Principles.
* Built direct and indirect rates models into the Excel ‘system’ to be used for forward pricing and audit purposes.
* Supported president in pricing & contract negotiations with DOE securing a major win for the company.
Director Government Contracts 2003 - 2005
Ranking number 15 of the top 40 Architecture/Engineering firms this multi office company was growing and positioning itself for a greater portion of the military market targeting very large contracts Iraq. In preparation to meet HDR’s Federal growth goals I directed accounting and RFP pricing process enabling contracting under FAR Part 15.
* Introduced cradle-to-grave contracting under FAR Part 15 to senior management,
* Drafted first Cost Accounting Disclosure Statement.
* Developed & trained staffs in multiple offices on timekeeping, estimating, travel and expense reporting and other new policies & procedures ensuring FAR compliance.
*Developed first contract database & integrated with PeopleSoft ERP accounting. *Developed SOX 404 related compliance policies & procedures.
Company decided not to pursue its Federal contracting goals. I joined firm above.
Women-owned, SBA business - Pleasanton, CA 1993 - 2002
Founded and successfully operated a business providing Government contracting services and software evaluation, procurement and installation of state-of-the-art, ERP accounting systems. (AP, AR, PO, SO, GL, inventory, job cost & reporting.) Clients include: Bentley Engineering, SAIC, MH Chew & Associates and others.
* Prepared business plan for SBA funding, obtained working capital, handled all financial activities.
* Obtained Certified Woman-owned Small Business from State of California & won set-aside contracts.
* Competed for California State Lottery accounting systems software & implementation services; prepared cost and technical proposals partnering with Coopers & Lybrand,
* Provided contract closeout services and demonstrated to senior management how an under priced CPFF contract with NASA resulted in a loss of $2.4 million.
Sold business due to continual technological changes requiring excessive hours.
High-tech manufacturer - San Francisco, CA. 1981-1983 & 1990-1992 Internal Audit Manager
The Precision Systems & Space Division designs and manufactures pointing and tracking mechanisms for spacecraft, military aircraft and for military vehicle turret and gun position control. Rapid corporate expansion during Desert Storm dictated a need for stronger internal controls and improved financial reporting.
* Establishing the first Internal Audit Department and later, directed RFP cost & pricing with oversight of procurement systems. Reported to the board of directors.
* Defended and won post-award claims of non-compliance with CAS 401 & 405,
* Performed due diligence on competing company Systron Donner leading to acquisition of Inertial Guidance Division.
* Drove processes necessary for division to pass the CPSR on first go-around.
Inertial Division – a subsidiary company (of above)
Controller/Senior Financial Analyst
A leading designer and manufacturer of both militarized and space versions of optical encoders, scanners and accelerometers used in armored vehicles, spacecraft, radar tracking and avionics. Directed the cost and pricing activities for prime and subcontracts for research & development, production, repairs and spares proposals.
* Won against DCAA’s allegations of CAS 401, 402 & 405 non-compliances,
* Priced and monitored all CPFF, FFP, LOE and T&M contracts in progress; customers included: Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon, Rockwell, DOD & NASA.
* Directed financial statement reporting activities, closed books, consolidated
period end reporting, prepared financial analyses and variance reports.
* In charge of development of all direct & indirect forward pricing rates & estimating.
Promoted to Senior Financial Analyst then Controller of Inertial Division and later to Internal Audit Director of corporation mentioned above.
Director of Internal Audit
Fortune 500 Engineering company – San Francisco, CA 1985 – 1990
With non-compliance and post-award issues looming and more on the way, the company was experiencing difficulty convincing the Government sector that it could continue to be a responsible bidder. Served as both director of internal audit and legal advisor for contract compliance, cost & pricing & FAR 31.205 Cost Principles & TINA. Reported to CFO & the board of directors.
* Turned the firm’s accounting systems/processes into contract compliant organization.
* Developed cost impact study disclosing $40 million of unbilled incurred costs,
* Launched a task force that re-costed and billed $6 million on cost plus contracts,
* Developed & launched best practices to circumvent under costing & pricing.
Triple A Shipyards - SF, CA 1983 – 1985
Cost Accounting Manager
U.S. Department of Defense, DCAA – Palo Alto, CA 1978 - 1983
B.S. Business Administration (Honors society - accounting 40 units)
California State University – CA 1973 - 1978
DCAA Audit Institute: (3 years) Contract audit, FAR & CAS
Stanford, CA & Memphis, TN
National Contracts Management Association (NCMA)
Financial Executives International (FEI)
National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA)
Accounting systems design & ERP implementation: PeopleSoft, MAS*90, Great Plains. Familiarity with Deltek, SAP, Oracle financials & Crystal Reports. Expertise in GAAP, GAAS, DCAA, CAS, DFAR, FAR, NASA, DOE regulations & State government accounting circulars.