Executive Job Description
Our Client is a large Consumer Product Goods (CPG) company headquartered in Northern California that supplies major grocery retailers and large “box store” companies throughout North America and produces, markets and distributes branded consumer packaged goods products for the US and international retail markets.
Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of the Division, the Marketing Director will be responsible for driving share growth and industry leadership, from strategy and brand stewardship to total P&L business results, of the company’s #1 priority snack enterprise consisting of 10 brands with $800+ Million in plan net sales, $70+ Million marketing spending, and the following direct reports: Senior Brand Managers, Associated Brand Managers and Marketing Analysts. This is a premium marketing position and high visibility role in a “hot” area, with the highest margins, in the consumer products space.
• Develop, articulate and deploy vision for total portfolio per corresponding segment and brand strategies throughout the organization, with key agencies and customers.
• Manage total P&L for portfolio of brands along with required trade-offs to develop/deliver commitments.
• Align the Management Team and, where necessary, company Executive Team to drive thought leadership and resource alignment to promote a market facing organization, which will grow the business by driving consumer insight in the product aisle, enabling retailers to be more competitive and meet consumer lifestyle needs.
• Manage segment, portfolio and brand strategies with corresponding long and short-term plans.
• Lead annual planning process for segment/brands, including annual marketing plan development, deployment and excellent execution.
• Serve as thought leader in understanding and communicating consumer, customer and industry trends for segment.
• Lead, develop, energize and motivate brand teams with the skills and competency to meet business objectives.
• Serve as a leader and role model across all divisions including but not limited to:
- Sales: Keep close working relationship, knowledge of customers and good relationships with key customers. Ensure optimal channel development via principle-based channel strategy articulation.
- Finance: Work with team on delivery of this year’s Annual Operating Plan (AOP) and Long Range Plan (LRP), including gross and EBITDA margin. Closely work with this team on monthly, quarterly and yearly business updates.
- Supply Chain: Maintain deep understanding of conversion and logistics for all businesses in segment.
- HR: Build high performing teams, ensure team members have timely performance reviews and career management dialogs, and actively participate in the recruiting and retention processes.
- Operations/IBP: Work with team on rolling volume projections with remedial and proactive volume and EBITDA plans.
• Ensure focus on improving processes and removing low-value added work.
• Support/Embody the company’s Core Values.
• Expert level functional marketing skills, including:
- Brand Stewardship: Capable of focusing on the excellent delivery of consumer and customer propositions.
- Strategy development/deployment.
- Positioning and branding.
- Agency management.
- Creative message and communication development, media planning.
- Marketing plan development, activation and monitoring of plans in-market.
- Innovation: Able to develop and/or integrate efforts of innovation team into cohesive go to market propositions.
- Customer Closeness: Understand key customers, and drive articulate and aligned channel strategies.
• Deep understanding of the total enterprise, including:
- In-depth knowledge of all aspects of the business, capability of interfacing with all functions and strong analytical skill to develop relationships with customers at the highest level. Decisions are based upon interpretation and application of company operations, procedures and objectives established by the company.
- Skills and processes to solve problems, and the ability to identify/approach solutions.
- Familiarity with how P&L is organized, including key levers and how to effect positive changes across the enterprise.
- Keen awareness of conversion and logistics issues/opportunities for continuous manufacturing processes. Can navigate a multi-factory environment.
• Ability to deal with ambiguity, translating ambiguous ideas into cohesive strategies.
• Willingness to fight for a point, take intelligent risks and encourage others to do the same.
• Ability to effectively develop and present vision, strategies and plans to wide array of internal and external audiences.
• Ability to develop self and team, staying abreast of emerging trends, technologies and approaches.
• External focus, reading the marketplace and taking immediate remedial/proactive action.
• Excellent leadership skills, building and fostering deep influential relationships at all levels of the system.
• Ability to act as a “servant leader” and build high performing cross-functional teams.
• Core Values: Serve as a role model for the company’s core values at all times.
Required Education & Experience:
• MBA required.
• 10-15 years of CPG marketing experience of increasing scope and responsibility on top tier, well known brands.
• Demonstrated success in driving business and brand health results, including examples of brand development, creative development, innovation and overall P&L management. Must be able to point out in-market products and programs that “industry” would see as broad success.
• Consistent development and delivery for total P&L from gross sales through SG&A and all drivers.
• Expertise and success in development/deployment of business, segment and brand strategies.
• Expertise in managing all communication contact points and agencies associated with those, which includes: Advertising, Consumer Promotion, Shopper Marketing, Digital, Media Planning/Buying, Public Relations and Packaging Design.
• Professional/personal presence, wisdom and confidence to lead in a rapidly changing and complex environment.
• Commitment to challenging goals coupled with ability to lead through difficult events and take an organization’s performance to the next level of success.
• High level of learning agility. Shown evidence of stepping into new situations and quickly coming up to speed and making a positive difference.
• Ability to build, lead and motivate functional and cross-functional organizations, placing the organization ahead of self.
• Continuous self-development through reading, industry associations and other professional development.
• A meaningful, competitive compensation package ($175-200K+ plus 25% bonus) and relocation package, if necessary, will be developed for the successful candidate.
* To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter (preferably in MS Word format) to Brian Cross at firstname.lastname@example.org.